Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-01-29, 11:36)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@sion28

Thank you, for your extremely long and detailed post which made me very sleepy.. The only thing it did was clutter this thread. Lesson learned,

uNi

If the "lesson learned" is that you'll try in the future to not be so rude to people seeking help and offering ideas/tips on this thread, then great! Big Grin

Happy trails...
Hey guys!

I just have one question:

Is RAR playback supported on this version of XBMC?

Last time I installed Ubuntu minimal + XBMC I ended up with the worst XBMC version ever.
I got no RAR support & no DVD support.

@spozen

The last time you noticed that rar was not enabled in XBMC builds because of licensing issues. IIRC that has changed, idk about DVD support but I would guess it was libdvdcss related
You can ask fritsch or wsnipex or Fernetmenta if their builds have full support enabled, however in the official ppa (which is not what script uses) as long as the licensing compatibility of a component is at question like rar then it likely be disabled. Though you can ask directly to the packagers i.e. not here in this thread.

@sion28

When ppl have something to offer other than negative criticism, or largely unrelated offtopic noise that just clutter a thread, they are welcome to post, otherwise its not really wanted.

uNi

Yes, the negativity we can do without. It's not always clear if an issue is caused by this specific configuration or by something else. So questions like the 'rar' one are logical. I personally never play rar files so I dont know anything about it.'Like uNiversal says... someone probably does but it's the first I read about it.
Hi,

Had just noticed that frodo has gone stable, but and aptget update and install dont work.

Can I assume this is because this installation uses a different repository than the norm? If this is the case, will the stable version be setup over the next couple of days on the repository?

Thanks for all your hard work, I installed this on an Intel NUC and LOVE the setup. Again, thanks for all your hard work.

Kind Regards

Suggley
You guys will have to look at https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba-frodo for stable.

Or continue with current and wait for newer candy to flow in the next few days.

uNi
(2013-01-30, 02:13)suggley Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Had just noticed that frodo has gone stable, but and aptget update and install dont work.

Can I assume this is because this installation uses a different repository than the norm? If this is the case, will the stable version be setup over the next couple of days on the repository?

Thanks for all your hard work, I installed this on an Intel NUC and LOVE the setup. Again, thanks for all your hard work.

Kind Regards

Suggley

Frodo stable xvba is already available since yesterday, same time as mainline. Simple apt-get update and upgrade will work!

Also Rar support is enabled in _all_ PPAs, offical Team Xbmc as well as my personal ones.
If that doesn't work, is the a repo I can check for to ensure there's isn't a config issue in my case?
apt-cache policy xbmc
Installed: 2:12.0~git20130129.1036-frodo-0quantal
Candidate: 2:12.0~git20130129.1036-frodo-0quantal
Version table:
*** 2:12.0~git20130129.1036-frodo-0quantal 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xvba/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1ubuntu2 0
500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe amd64 Packages
now read that carefully and tell me again it did not work...
After u confirming what I thought might be the case, I rebooted and still xbmc said rc3, rebooted again and now full version. Can't explain it, don't want to Smile

thanks again for taking the time to help!
I'm trying to get uNiversal's 24p and 23.976p fix to work but I get permission denied in terminal whenever I type in the commands. Permission is denied in moving xorg.conf.

Zotac Zbox ID41 is the hardware

Thanks in advance for the help.
@Ranger620

Do a 'sudo su' before starting that to change to root -OR- prefix all commands with 'sudo'.
Thank you!