Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Code:
sudo apt-get purge <insert-package-name>
sudo apt-get install <insert-package-name>
(2013-02-18, 15:35)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
sudo apt-get purge <insert-package-name>
sudo apt-get install <insert-package-name>

Thanks, how do I know which package the Intel driver belongs to ?

If I run sudo apt-get update this lists all the packages right?
No. apt-get update lists the repositories while reloading them.

Code:
sudo apt-get purge i965-va-driver
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver

But you don't need to do this since it's already working. This is almost never a solution for display problems.
Would appreciate all hands on deck to test this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156764

TIA

uNi
Not sure how i did it but Xbmc is now version 13 Alpha 1. How do I get back to the version 12 stable and prevent it from being updated again

thanks
I don't think you will lose your current XBMC configuration but I'm not 100% sure.
From the top of my head...

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo reboot now
(2013-02-19, 18:57)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you will lose your current XBMC configuration but I'm not 100% sure.
From the top of my head...

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo reboot now

Thanks for the instructions Bram appreciate it. Wonder how risky it is? If I lose all my settings etc.
Running those commands wont get you stable xbmc (final version does not equal stable anything), since the version v12 is lesser than current v13. Soon 12.1 will be out and your going to be back asking how do I upgrade.

Also its unnecessary to change from xvba ppa to offical ppa just to get Frodo.

To correctly do it!

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

However NOTICE major AE bugs have been resolved in v13 and v12 is not more stable than v13 imho, it's your funeral

As for loosing your settings, well you been around long enough to know when to backup userdata (wiki)

uNi
Thanks Uni, I didn't realize there would be major bug fixes already in v13 Alpha 1. Sounds like it might be worth sticking with v13 Alpha 1 then from what you have said.

May I ask what is the difference in xbva ppa and the official ppa. I am assuming the official one is for stable versions only ?

So all settings are in Userdata, OK got it.

Cheers
Assume nothing, google everything ™

uNi
(2013-02-19, 19:55)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Soon 12.1 will be out and your going to be back asking how do I upgrade.

OK thanks, will stick with V13 Alpha 1 for now and then try and change to V12.1 when that is out.
This script looks really useful, but does XBMC automatically restart if it crashes?
If you choose to use the upstart script during installation it will. I personally use the init.d script because with that method XBMC has never crashed on me, not once. While with the upstart script it crashes regularly, ironically.
Hmm, that's strange. init and upstart are only starting and monitor the process (right?) and shouldn't be doing anything while it's actually running.

That's great that xbmc hasn't crashed on you, and I admit it rarely crashes for me (on the stable builds) but having to SSH to reboot the HTPC when I do have a problem is a bit of a pain...
I don't understand why either, but that's my experience.