Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A little teaser of what the new version of the script will bring. I've just started so don't expect anything anytime soon!

(2013-02-20, 23:29)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]A little teaser of what the new version of the script will bring.

Nice! :-)
(2013-02-20, 21:01)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why either, but that's my experience.

I understand, newest Ubuntu isnt always necessarily better. You and I have same hardware and after many tests and installs and fixes to script 12.04LTS was better all around. But it requires a great deal of tweaking to both script and install. I also compile XBMC from master which is far more stable that what is considered stable. Using upstart mini script with a tweak of my own its rock solid. Unfortunatly not anywheere bug free or doing what it should with optical media for e.g but hey.

Congrats on new script, I looked at source and ran for the hills.

uNi
Any else on v13 Alpha 1 having issues with DVD playback? This was working before, now can't play VIDEO_TS rips via SMB share says Playback failed. All other formats still playing OK.

This is from the movie library. I can go into video - files and browse and the vobs play ok.

Thanks
@cw-kid another bug fixed on nightly, pls upgrade Wink

see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14115 which has solved that.

uNi
(2013-02-24, 00:51)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@cw-kid another bug fixed on nightly, pls upgrade Wink

see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14115 which has solved that.

uNi

Hi

I just ran these commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I said Yes and it updated some stuff but XBMC is still showing as V13 Alpha 1 so not sure it updated XBMC.

Thanks
(2013-02-19, 19:55)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]To correctly do it!

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

I just followed this to try and get back to V12. Seems to have worked and the version is now showing as V12 again.

If I look in this directory is now shows both PPAs ?

xbmc@xbmc01:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-frodo-quantal.list wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list
wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-frodo-quantal.list.save wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list.save

How to prevent it updating to Alpha again?

DVD playback is working again as well

Thanks.
just remove wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list and wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list.save
and please enjoy.if you find any problems dont hesitate to post on xvba thread.

uNi
(2013-02-24, 02:08)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]just remove wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list and wsnipex-xbmc-xvba-quantal.list.save
and please enjoy.if you find any problems dont hesitate to post on xvba thread.

uNi

OK many thanks I just deleted those two files.
Btw Uni do you do any paid consultancy work? Looking for someone to help me fix two issues related to Soundgraph IR/VFD on my HTTP case. I've been really struggling with some double key presses on remote cobtrol and need to get LCD display working.

If you or anyone else is interested please PM me.

Thanks
My systems was running great until it upgrade to XBMC 13 alpha 1. I reverted back to Frodo and now my cpu is at a constant 96-100 percent. What can i do to solve this?
(2013-02-26, 05:14)ylafont Wrote: [ -> ]My systems was running great until it upgrade to XBMC 13 alpha 1. I reverted back to Frodo and now my cpu is at a constant 96-100 percent. What can i do to solve this?

In case this happens to anyone else,

Yesterday when i initially reported the problem, i did not mention that my cec-usb had also stop working- i thought the issues were unrelated. Somehow through this process the XBMC user was removed from all groups. which was causing the cec-usb not to be recognized as well as the high CPU utilization.

Command used.
sudo usermod -a -G adm,dialout,cdrom,floppy,audio,dip,video,plugdev,fuse,sudo xbmc

Did i miss any groups?
floppy unused but dip idk what it is. The absolutley necessary are what you have in exception of floppy and MAYBE dip. for cec to work you need dialout.

sudo adduser xbmc users <<missed that.

To remove the xbmc from flopy and dip just nano /etc/groups and remove xbmc from where you dont want it. Safer this way.

uNi
(2013-02-27, 01:43)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]floppy unused but dip idk what it is. The absolutley necessary are what you have in exception of floppy and MAYBE dip. for cec to work you need dialout.

To remove the xbmc from flopy and dip just nano /etc/groups and remove xbmc from where you dont want it. Safer this way.

uNi

I had found a listing of groups on the wiki and figured better to be safe them sorry at the time. I figured i did not need floppy or cdrom since i have neither. here is the listing.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Arc..._XBMC_Live
Was the big outdated bit not a give away?

Code:

cdrom only needed if you have cdrom and adm is required fro some reason, Im not repeating myself though.

uNi