Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
getting a green box around display about 2 inches after install
I am really sorry about this being such a noob question, but I have a Zotac Zbox and I built my bootable Ubuntu USB drive. Everything works fine and I get to the Install screen and the cursor starts to blink and then the screen goes black.

I tried multiple USB drives and re-downloading the ISOs and nothing seems to be working. This is really weird.

It appears the USB keyboard and the USB drive powers down when i get to the install screen. Very weird
(2013-04-16, 16:19)AssChin79 Wrote: [ -> ]Alsamixer didn't see the HDMI device so there was nothing to unmute. However, the XBMCbuntu alsamixer did see the HDMI and it was good to go out of the box. All I can guess is that for the script I was starting with a 64-bit minimal CD where XBMCbuntu is 32-bit. Perhaps their is no 64-bit support for NVidia HDMI sound. I don't know but I'm good to go now; XBMCbuntu works great.

The Nvidia drivers are 64 bits, and have HDMI drivers support tho i had to upgrade my video card from a 8400GS to 610 as Nvidia ( officially ) supports Audio over HDMI from the 600 series and up.
You could try to use the 32bits mini iso as the script will install 32 bits software and see if that helps.
Hi,new member here and love it so far.Firstly,thanks to Bram77(for script and guide) and uNiversal(for helping and guiding us).
I am new to linux and xbmc,but got my ubuntu minimal installed and xbmc running as intended on my 720P Tv(thought I would have problems there,luckily not),except I copied script 2.6.1.command by mistake(wanted 2.6.0)..so far working on my system,lol
I am using a older pentium4 machine with specs:2ghz Prescot duelcore,1gb ram memmory and a 512mb ram Nvidea agpx8 Gpu, It's a old machine I got to test linux,xbmc on(ease of use) before I start my htpc build.
All my sd-series is playing without a glitch,even 720p movies.Only get lag on 1080P(saw on info panel cpu usage high,and gpu usage low). Is this because I use old lower-end system,or is it because hardware acceleration of gpu off? As I said the machine is just to test interfaces and usability not so much performance.

The last thing.I'm having a problem to get into dolphin to adjust it's settings(other guide said I must get into dolphin gui before I launch through xbmc to tweak some start up settings).My problem is that i tried through ssh in CLI,but got message that I'm missing GTK+ ...So now I want to minimize XBMC so I can launch dolphin from terminal on target machine (which I can't figure out) and when I select "quit" to just end xbmc,I get only a blank screen?

I tried googling and got nothing to help me with the minimize problem.(Oh before I forget..did have a sound problem and through reading here found out I needed to unmute in alsamixer-when script gave option to select sound card,didn't know what the "mm" was below each output-was muted and needed to figure out that the arrow keys up and down set volume levels).

If anyone can assist me I would appreciateWink (then all I need do after that is pair a wiimote,lol

Again thanks for awesome script!
(2012-09-26, 18:22)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]1.1 Download the latest ubuntu 12.10 minimal installation ISO from
Are you planning to support Ubuntu 13.04 soon? I would like to install this version because of the LTS support.

I would also like to change the XBMC and the Tvheadend repos to the official ones. Is that possible without breaking anything?

newpipe
Just broken one of my AMD/ATI based XBMC PCs I think. I updated the kernel to 3.8.6 and now XBMC is not loading says I need graphics drivers. The URL http://linux.hootip.com/how-to-solve-amd...ntu-12-10/ is now down and I can't remember how I got this working the first time.

I tried running sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy again which appeared to install it OK but still not booting in to XBMC and says I need a graphics driver.

Code:
xbmc@xbmc03:~$ Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-32-xen x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux xbmc03 3.8.6-030806-generic #201304051406 SMP Fri Apr 5 18:07:42 UTC 2013 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.6-030806-generic root=UUID=4317df5d-5767-4e58-8925-d963def3dab4 ro nomodeset usbcore.autosuspend=-1 video=uvesafb:mode_option=1366x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap splash quiet radeon.audio=1
Build Date: 05 November 2012  10:00:21AM
xorg-server 3:1.12.4+git20121105-makson1~ppa2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.

Code:
xbmc@xbmc03:~$ dpkg -l fglrx*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  fglrx          <none>                    (no description available)
un  fglrx-amdcccle <none>                    (no description available)
ii  fglrx-amdcccle 2:8.97.100.7 amd64        Legacy Catalyst Control Center fo
un  fglrx-amdcccle <none>                    (no description available)
un  fglrx-dev      <none>                    (no description available)
un  fglrx-glx      <none>                    (no description available)
ii  fglrx-legacy   2:8.97.100.7 amd64        Legacy video driver for the AMD g
ii  fglrx-legacy-d 2:8.97.100.7 amd64        Legacy video driver for the AMD g
un  fglrx-updates  <none>                    (no description available)
un  fglrx-updates- <none>                    (no description available)
xbmc@xbmc03:~$

Thanks

(2013-01-10, 14:56)cw-kid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-10, 14:49)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@cw-kid

Yes you need to purge your current fgrlx and install fglrx-legacy because AMD development logic is so great!

See http://linux.hootip.com/how-to-solve-amd...ntu-12-10/

You will also need to downgrade xorg to 1.12 since 1.13 wont work with legacy drivers.

uNi

Thank you for your reply!

So I just need to run these commands ?

Sorry I am very new to Linux

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

EDIT: It says: Error: need a repository as argument
ppa: makson96/fglrx = ppa:makson96/fglrx minus a space Smile
(2013-04-22, 14:42)Sevennl Wrote: [ -> ]ppa: makson96/fglrx = ppa:makson96/fglrx minus a space Smile

Well spotted! Blush
Hi,

I'm a new user and I performed a fresh install few weeks ago (Ubuntu 12.10 + prepare_install_2_6.sh) (great job by the way).

I have a problem with sources : every time I reboot my HTPC, XBMC loses the list of sources (added manually through XBMC interface toward local folders for music and videos).

Is this a XBMC known issue ? Or a script issue ? I can't find any post about that.

Thanks for any help Wink
@NutSprit this should be a new topic btw. If this happens, your source.xml doesn't get saved for some reason. Check where your user folder resides, usually under /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata. Be sure the linux account under which your setup is running is writable for the user!
@NutSpirit

There was a bug in xbmc that caused that, newer versions have fixed that.

uNi
(2013-04-23, 14:30)mason Wrote: [ -> ]@NutSprit this should be a new topic btw. If this happens, your source.xml doesn't get saved for some reason. Check where your user folder resides, usually under /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata. Be sure the linux account under which your setup is running is writable for the user!

Thank you, but like I said, I only performed a minimal install with a signle user 'xbmc' then I launched Bram's script. However I checked that userdata folder is owned by my 'xbmc' user, whixh is also the user who launch xbmc... it seems that the problem is elsewhere.

(2013-04-23, 15:09)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@NutSpirit

There was a bug in xbmc that caused that, newer versions have fixed that.

uNi

Can you tell me which version corrects that bug ? Or the tip to live with that bug ?
Current Alpha3 will have that corrected, alpha2 still has that bug iirc. See http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14272 for bug and fix.

You can either wait for a alpah3 build or make a sources.xml by hand until then, see wiki Userdata/sources.xml (wiki) alternatively you can compile from git source.

uNi
Thanks to the great script I got XBMC running on my server (Ubunut Server 12.04)

At the moment I see no problems except AirPlay. First my iPad was even not recognizing that there is a
other device to stream to.

After manually installing
Code:
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon
my iPad finds now the server.

AirPlay is working when I use photos but don't work when I like to "stream" a video.

Can somebody give me an advise in which direction I can further investigate?

My thoughts of possible problem regions:
  • /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf is not correctly configured as it was installed manually
  • xbmc user not in all groups needed for avahi
  • avahi likes to write a cache file somewhere, where xbmc user has no rights

Thanks in advance
I don't think this is the right thread to post questions about airplay to be honest.