Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-05-30, 12:36)Morrtin Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't matter which version of Ubuntu you have. You can always update kernel if you like. I would suggest to update to kernel 3.9.4 with firmware 1.108. Solved some problems on my system.

If you copy the script from my post on page 106 then you are apple to select a XBMC version. The original script will always use wsnipex's Git Build PPA (test versions).

Hi Morrtin
Thanks for your help.
I updated the firmware per instructions from your 1064 post first.
Then I updated the kernel per Brewster 1063 post using 32bit code.
After reboot, still no audio.
Checked alsamixer, all volumes are UP and it lists my card correctly (SB Live! Value).
XBMC audio settings also correct.

I'm thinking to reinstall audio drivers, how would I go about it?

Thank you again for your help!

no1_cdn

(2013-05-30, 20:37)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]The audiohardware drivers are part of the kernel. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Have you tried putting the soundcard in a different slot? Is an older pc, so maybe it's a resource allocation problem in the motherboard/bios.

I just loaded XBMCbuntu off USB stick and audio works right away! no need to change/adjust anything...

I'll try swapping the PCI slots and report back, but why would the sound work under XBMCbuntu?

Thank you again
no1
@no1_cdn - you can get Geforce 210 thats fits a PCI slot for approx $53 CAD.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList...ageSize=20

It'll save you all this futzing...comes with an actual HDMI port, etc...just sayin'.
(2013-05-30, 21:22)thethirdnut Wrote: [ -> ]@no1_cdn - you can get Geforce 210 thats fits a PCI slot for approx $53 CAD.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList...ageSize=20

It'll save you all this futzing...comes with an actual HDMI port, etc...just sayin'.

Hey
I didn't know these existed in PCI?!
That is helpful info, thanks!!
I'll keep it in mind.
Trying to keep the cost down though, what can I say, I'm cheap! LOL Big Grin
@no1_cdn - no problem. They aren't many of choices in PCI, but a few still out there.

Think of time as money too...less time configuring PC...more time drinking beer, watching movies. Or even go outside since it is quite nice this time of year...
(2013-05-30, 20:37)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]The audiohardware drivers are part of the kernel. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Have you tried putting the soundcard in a different slot? Is an older pc, so maybe it's a resource allocation problem in the motherboard/bios.

Swapped PCI slots, still no audio...
Also tested with XBMCbuntu again, audio still works with SB Live! in new PCI slot.

I noticed one thing, in XBMCbuntu settings, under
"Audio output device: "Default (SB Live! Value [CT 4832] ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback)"
the text scrolls when highlighted.
In Brams XBMC it doesn't scroll when highlighted, the text just cuts off.

I think either the drivers didn't load correctly or XBMC?

Thanks
OK
I said I was Ubuntu noob! LOL Big Grin

I thought that by moving the volume sliders in alsamixer up to 100% it would un mute it...

I checked alsamixer settings again after reading up on it here
I noticed that under the "Master" volume slider was a box with "MM" in it.
Well apparently it means "mute" LOL, after toggling it with "m" key on keyboard it changed to "OO" (ON),
It worked!!!

Sound Problem SOLVED!

Thanks, again guys!

BTW is there a way to switch to SSH from XBMC?
Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc, doesn't work.
When I hit EXIT in XBMC it closes XBMC and then goes to black screen that says:
*Starting [OK]
and just sits there. I have to use PUTTY from my other machine to log in.

no1_cdn
Great!

I never switch to SSH on my XBMC machine itself. I know there is a way but not sure what key combination it was (was it ALT+F2 ?).
If you have an Android phone or tabled you can install ConnectBot (from the playstore) which is an awsome SSH client. I use it all the time.
Hi all,

I'm here again since I'm completely lost and don't know what to do. Please, I ask for some help, I really really appreciate any help...

A few mouths ago I spent many many hours trying to install and configure XBMC on a Zacate E-350 and Linux. After had to surrender with Linux mint I tryed kubuntu 12.10 and had a good result using the automatic script from first post (I Think it was the same version that is downloadable now, stable v2.6.0) and I made a corrent XBMC installation, and all videos I tested seemed to work. I tryed many methods, lots, and only archieved a good result with the script, on with I disabled the "hide system options" from the code since I want a complete O.S. with XBMC, not only XBMC.

Last weekend I tried same, but using kubuntu 13.04 instead of 12.10 and a AMD Trinity APU (A8 5500). On first installation it got installed but some videos had something like artifacts and even some got hanged and XBMC closes itself ramdomly when playing BD Isos.

In a second installation things went worse, after installing the script and restart, when running XBMC it doesn't start, and now I have the same issue in a Zacate E-450!!. I'm unable to make XBMC start, it appears to be loading, but... nothing.

My question is simple: How can I make an usuable HTPC with an AMD Trinity or Zacate?? I think AMD drivers are bad as hell and I'm seriuosly thinking in don't use AMD if the computer is going to be used with linux Sad

¿What am I doing wrong? Is it that Kubuntu 13.04 is not ok and I've to return to 12.10?? Is that I'm missing any step on installation? Is it that AMD is simply imposible to run OK on LinuxHuh

I also want to be able to play BD3D (Bluray3D ISOS and discs) in linux. I've try lo search info but I found nothing! Is this possible?? In windows I've do this with an AMD 6xxx, is this limited in Linux to Intel HD4000, or any nvidiaHuh

Please, some help....
Tassadar read this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
The important part is:

on AMD GPUs:
There is currently no driver that can be installed for Ubuntu 13.04 - don't use this version.

Don't know if this changed but it would be a hint.
(2013-05-31, 18:45)Morrtin Wrote: [ -> ]Tassadar read this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
The important part is:

on AMD GPUs:
There is currently no driver that can be installed for Ubuntu 13.04 - don't use this version.

Don't know if this changed but it would be a hint.

Many Thanks, I saw that this morning, and this weekend I'll start my tests here, returning to 12.10. Beyond that, any other advice?? How can I configure Kubuntu to avoid automatic updates and warnings about this? (I guess that updating from a functional 12.10 to 13.04 would "broke" the system...).

I don't want computer owner to read the message of "please update" and make computer not to work ok.

And in the quiestions of updates... If I install 12.10, would you reccomend me to run in terminal those commands to update:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
sudo reboot

I've this doubt since it could make driver not to work, couldn't it?

Another quiestion: How can I play Bluray3D in linux??

Regards
(2013-05-31, 12:46)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]Great!

I never switch to SSH on my XBMC machine itself. I know there is a way but not sure what key combination it was (was it ALT+F2 ?).
If you have an Android phone or tabled you can install ConnectBot (from the playstore) which is an awsome SSH client. I use it all the time.

I'll try out that app.
Again, thanks for sharing your script and for your help Bram!
no1
Hi again to all,

I've try kubuntu 12.10 instead of 13.04 and problem persists, XBMC is unable to boot.

Any help?
You should only use this script on a Ubuntu mini or Ubuntu server installation. Running it on a desktop installation is asking for trouble.
(2013-06-01, 12:11)Bram77 Wrote: [ -> ]You should only use this script on a Ubuntu mini or Ubuntu server installation. Running it on a desktop installation is asking for trouble.

Many thanks for the answer.

I'm using kubuntu, that uses KDE instead of gnome3, I thought gnome3 was the problem.

The question is:

2 or 3 mouths ago I installed Kubuntu 12.10 on an AMD Ontario C-60 and using the script XBMC worked OK.

TODAY I've install Kubuntu 12.10 on the same machine, and have set "not look for updates" on installation program, and have disable de "distUpgrade" part of the script (to avoid system updates), and the result is that XBMC is unable to start, it seems like loading, but nothing....

WHAT HAS CHANGED from 2 mouths ago to nowHuh? I'm really desperate!

Beyond that, if not with script, how do you reccomend me to install AMD drivers and XBMC on a kubuntu 12.10?? Two mouths ago y tried several methods and the only one that worked for me were the scripts.

Many thanks and regards
You should be able to install the Drivers and XBMC from the software installation app. within KDE.

You should see a green card icon in the taskbar for installing the ADM drivers and from the software suite you can search,select and install XBMC.
Alto I recoment to install ubuntu mini iso, and use the script if you only use it for XBMC as it will be (feel) faster in response.
If you are not skilled with Linux don't worry the install questions are straight forward, and afterwards just use the script.