Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Sevennl,

When I tried to install AMD drivers with other procedures than the script I always had some problem, so I don't know how to do it. I'll have to start all again....

but, BUT I think I've discover the source of the problem. I've restore an image created of the previous installation, when XBMC worked, and comparing with the installation Ive made today I've notice:

-Catalyst Drivers according to data included on panel is exactly que same version, so it should't be the problem.
-The previous version of XBMC (when booted) was: "XBMC 13.0-ALPHA3 Git:41061a8(Compiled: Apr 5 2013)". Version now is... I don't know how to find out, XBMC refuses to boot.
-According to "lsb_release -a" command, both aver same version (Ubuntu 12.10 quantal"
-According to "uname -a" coomand, versions are not the same! The functional one is 3.5.0-27-generic #46 and the today's one that doesn't work XBMC is 3.5.0-32-generic #53.

I suspect the problem comes whith this update from 27 to 32, that is performed in some moment that I don't know!. How can I return to older version or if it's not possible, avoid system to update to any version newer than 27Huh

I've try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0.27-generic

Apparently it makes an un-update but when I restart and run again "uname -a" the version is still the 32

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem, XBMC doesn't even start in all the installations I've try last week, and apparently the only difference I've found is this change from 27 to 32

Many thanks to all in adavance

EDIT:

I've restore an image of a system installed 2 weeks ago, with kubuntu 13.04 instead of 12.10 in with XBMC booted (same "XBMC 13.0-ALPHA3 Git:41061a8(Compiled: Apr 5 2013)" . In this system the kernel is 3.8.0.19-generic, and despite 2 days later using the same 13.04 kubuntu and the same script I had the problem of XBMC that doesn't boot.

According to this, the problem should not be que kernel version, perhaps the XBMC versionHuh How can I make the script install only stable versions? If I'm now wrong latest stable is 12.2, so It should solve my problem (perhaps xD)

EDIT2:

With Kubuntu 12.10 installed I've modify the script to not no install XBMC, and run it. Later, I've install XBMC manually using:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

In order to install "a newer but possible less stable version (this is the recommended one as it it has the h.264 (high) fix in it.) "

As a result, same version has been installed (13.0 Alpha3), but althought it boot, once inside XBMC it hangs passed little time.

I'll try installing frodo-stable, but I'll lose " (this is the recommended one as it it has the h.264 (high) fix in it.)"

EDIT3:

I've reinstall with the difference of using "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo" in an attemp of installing latest stable release of XBMB, but 13.0 ALPHA3 has been installed agin!!!! Of Course, XBMC hangs at little time of use, as happened before.

I'm gonna throw computer by the window.....

Thanks in advance
Please some help, I really don't know what to do.....

I've try downloading latest AMD stable drivers, the Catalyst 13.4 but I'm unable to install them. I've try this:

Code:
chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run

sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run

And I get this error:

Quote:One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system.
Install the required tools before installing with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable.
Not reccomended.
See /usr/shere/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.

Always when I've try to install AMD drivers with other method than the script I've had this problem.

Regards and thanks
Tassadar,

As far as i know the script installs xbmc 13.x and not 12.x as 12.x has issues with AMD video cards ? ( I can't comment on it more as my system has Nvidia inside )
About the kernel versions, is something a AMD user could answer for you if that could be the source of your problem or not.
You could check http://askubuntu.com/questions/233380/ho...l-on-12-10
Not sure if it helps, i never had the need to downgrade my kernel.
and make sure you don't auto-update files.
(2013-06-01, 23:22)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1431914 <- check this.

Thanks very much for the advice, fritsch. I've try on a kubuntu 12.10 in with I've still not install any AMD propetary drivers and seems to work, but with some error I would like you to comment:

Code:
cp /etc/ati/signature ~/

Fails, the folder doesn't exist

Code:
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip

Ok, file downloaded and extracted

Code:
sudo service lightdm stop

KDE desktop dissapears, I get a white screen with the text:

Quote:Mountall: Disconnected from plymouth [OK]
Checking battery state

I can write things on screen but commands are not processeds, i mean, I can't do anything. I'm forced to press CTRL+ALT+F1, enter in the shell and then "sudo reboot" since I cant return to KDE desktop. My other option is try the next commands in here:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`

Cannon locate packet linux-headers-`uname -r`

If I enter uname -r I get as a result this: 3.5.0.32-generic, then try to replace on previous command, entering:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-3.5.0.32-generic

Now it seems to work something correctly

Code:
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg

Seems to genetarte package for ubuntu-quantal... takes long.............

Quote:Generating package: ubuntu/quantal
Package /home/elhtpc/gflrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been succesfully generated
Package /home/elhtpc/gflrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been succesfully generated
Package /home/elhtpc/gflrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been succesfully generated
removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Nr4Kjh

Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Seems to work,. but al last says someting like:

Quote:Errors were found when processing:
fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.dev

Why can it be?

Code:
sudo aticonfig --initial -f

returns:

Quote:Initialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.cong
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0

Code:
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on

returns

Quote:Warning: option 'Capabilities' doesn't affect running session.
using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-0
[Quote]

Code:
sudo cp ~/signature /etc/ati/

return error:

[Quote]cp: can't be made 'stat' on /home/elhtpc/signatures Doesn't exist file or directory

Code:
sudo reboot

simply reboots

Am I doing something wrongHuh

When reboots it seems to be using catalyst, and I've a permanent AMD logo and text saying "Testing Only", how can i remove thisHuh

How should I install XBMC now?? via the procedure I posted in my prior post?? Should I install latest XBMC using latest release, latest stable..... I'm gettind crazy....

Thanks, thanks a lot

(2013-06-02, 09:49)Sevennl Wrote: [ -> ]Tassadar,

As far as i know the script installs xbmc 13.x and not 12.x as 12.x has issues with AMD video cards ? ( I can't comment on it more as my system has Nvidia inside )
About the kernel versions, is something a AMD user could answer for you if that could be the source of your problem or not.
You could check http://askubuntu.com/questions/233380/ho...l-on-12-10
Not sure if it helps, i never had the need to downgrade my kernel.
and make sure you don't auto-update files.

Finally I think the problem was XBMC not kernel version, many thanks for the try!!!

Regards
oO - the howto is meant to be done via ssh. Skip the copy signature commands.
(2013-06-02, 16:48)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]oO - the howto is meant to be done via ssh. Skip the copy signature commands.

Sorry for the question, but I'm quite new in Linux... What SSH is? Is the shell I have when press CTRL+ALT+F1 Huh

After the steps I followed before I'm unable to install XBMC, the script fails, and manually with the those commands also fails:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

And, another question... are really good those 13.6 drivers? I mean, if normal AMD drivers are full of bugs and problems, isn't a suicide installing a beta ones? Would latest stable drivers be ok? (I think 13.4)

Many thanks again
I worked with AMD for the 13.6 beta drivers and they fixed some bugs, we were working on since a long time. If you are on Raring, you don't have another chance at all.

Btw. I think, you should give OpenELEC a try, this embedded linux distribution does exactly what you want and is easy to install. Guiding you through a linux terminal session, while you are copy / pasting commands is not the way to go.

Link: www.openelec.tv
(2013-06-02, 17:50)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]I worked with AMD for the 13.6 beta drivers and they fixed some bugs, we were working on since a long time. If you are on Raring, you don't have another chance at all.

Btw. I think, you should give OpenELEC a try, this embedded linux distribution does exactly what you want and is easy to install. Guiding you through a linux terminal session, while you are copy / pasting commands is not the way to go.

Link: www.openelec.tv

Hi again, fritsch,

The issue is that I want a whole O.S., not only a bootable XBMC. I need a Windows-look-like O.S that allows me to have XBMC, web browser, torrent, file-sharing.....

I tried openelec and seems great, but it's not an O.S, its a bootable XBMC. I've mod kubuntu from original to this:

And I've meet all the requeriments I need by now, all but XBMC and correct media-playing on it.

This is the reason I want to get XBMC working on kubuntu, but if you think I'm on the wrong way and there is an easier way to get what I need, I'll listen to you, although it would be hard for me to start again from the beggining, since I assure I've put a huge quantity of time an affort to this.

Now I'm gonna google to know about SSD and gonna try again to install 13.6 drivers and XBMC.

Thanks a lot
ssh is something like your "ms dos box". It makes you able to connect to your remote linux system and enter some commands in it, like in a desktop shell.
(2013-06-02, 20:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]ssh is something like your "ms dos box". It makes you able to connect to your remote linux system and enter some commands in it, like in a desktop shell.

remote?? mmm, How do I enter in this SSH? I mean, I suppose I can do it in the local machine, can't I? I suppose it's something like "Booting in MS-DOS mode" in windows??

Whitch order should I follow to install those 13.6 drivers? do I need to install older ones before and then update or directly 13.6?? How can I disable the banner of "Testing only"?

What should I install first, AMD drivers or XBMC??

Sorry for so many questions, I'ver read tons of "how-to" and I always find some or other problem, and every thread I read give different advices.

Thanks
I have approx 30 minutes time, please join #xbmc-xvba and I try to help you. http://webchat.freenode.net/ <- go there and type in xbmc-xvba and say hello :-)
I've been in a chat with fritsch and he has helped me really a lot.

Now I've amd 13.06 drivers installed and XBMC 12.2 and works much better, although some things could be better, the helping of fritsch and other ones is unvaluable.

I'll try to order all and post here, could be usefull for other ones

Thanks again
Hi all,

Later I will be able to make more tests, but I tell the problem, perhaps someone can help, and I'm very stubborn, I have to solve this...

Now, having installed XBMC 12.2 and AMD drivers 13.6 it has no hangs or crashes, but mouse pointer gets increibly slow, to the point that system is unusuable due to the lack.

Any idea?

Thanks
I don't use AMD video cards, so I can't really help. But I'm guessing you mean 'lag' instread of 'lack'?