Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Install

[Code ] apt-get install -y alsa-utils libasound2 [/code]

Make sure you user running xbmc is part of the audio group and leys see that again.
When I typed that command I got alsa-utils is already the newest version and libasound2 is already the newest version. libasound2 set to manually installed.

Ok so I have analogue audio now. I followed a post elsewhere on the xbmc forum where they suggested creating the .asoundrc file in /home/xbmc/ and adding the line defaults.pcm.device 7. But I still don't have hdmi audio or any of the settings for hd audio.
No idea, clearly your not doing something at some point. Also not everything supports HD audio, ppl think tunring all those settings in xbmc on, must be good, when it causes more issues.

You need to install minimal Ubuntu and add xbmc as a user, the follow these steps https://gist.github.com/uNiversaI/7734643

Idk why your system would need a .asoundrc, what machine have you got?
Thanks for your help, I was hoping that this script would work as it seems to be the best option out of openelec and xbmcbuntu. The pc is something I've built myself, I used an MSI A55M E33 board and an AMD A4 chip and then added an nvidia GT610 gpu. I know the mobo has a hdmi port which isn't used and has been disabled in the bios.
GT610 supports HD Audio just fine. Als your AMD A4 Chip can do bitstream audio since kernel 3.13-rc1. AMD released the specs and we implemented it.
Ya, idk, look at my quick install gist I linked, Im not sure about the audio on 610 but ya that does HD audio, as long as you have a compatible equipment connected, i.e. not a TV, so idk if you need any tweaks for asaoundrc on this card or not. TBH this script is great but only to the point where I took it appart and only used what I needed and fixed the rest to make it work on my HW. However its not developed anymore and I dont have patience or knowledge to fix it.
Thanks, to be honest I know its not the equipment because it does work with openelec and xbmcbuntu. I am plugged into an AV amp which is fine with DTS-HD etc. I think I am getting closer so I will carry on for now. The person that compiled this is right it is very fast and would be the better option for me if I could get the sound working.
Thanks for all your help,
I've just had a look at your script. It does look quite interesting, I will give it a go later on this evening.
Hi Fritsch, sorry completely missed your post for some reason. Does this mean I should be able to remove the nvidia card and just use the mobo hdmi? This originally wasn't possible as it wouldn't send HD audio to the receiver.
Its not as much as a script as it is instructions line by line for a copy and paste, stripped back for nvidia only sys, it was never used as a script it wont probably work IF there's missing steps, idk if it would work but hey. Im just a tinkerer not some sort of bash scripting master.

Im actually using it atm on a new build also gt610 based but this is onboard gfx.
Yes. It is now possible. Have a look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854 - you need special mesa for vdpau (AMD does now vdpau without the damn fglrx blob) and you need a new enought kernel (I packages some 3.12) or 3.13-rc3 from ubuntu mainline.

We are still working out some rought edges, especially for A10/A6 hardware. Make sure to assign 512 MB to your internal GPU.
Thanks, I will give this a go later.
Hi fritsch, not sure if this best placed here or on your thread. I am still unable to get the audio working. Here is my log http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=97176
Yeah, all wrong. You are even running the wrong kernel :-) Check the howto I linked howto. Check the grub parameters.
Strange, I followed your guide as instructed. I'll give it another go, hopefully correctly this time. Thanks for your help and patience.