Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to get the best playback & fps possible with Intel iGPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I know about the reported issue's of intel graphics and 23.976 fps playback. This is not the goal of this thread as I have read that Intel would be releasing a BIOS update which will improve this for IvyBridge (whether this will ever happen is another matter), until then I guess 23.976 is not quite possible, whether it is noticeable again is another story.

The purpose of this thread is to achieve the best possible playback through Intel graphics (onboard) with Linux. Following the realse of the HBR patches for intel graphics we now have HD audio in Linux for Intel. This is great news and I have been compiling and testing openelec with these patches for the past few weeks. I believe it should be possible to improve the playback further by using a custom xorg.conf. I have read many threads about making custom xorg.conf for nvidia (good one here) but have not found any for custom xorg.conf for intel. I am hoping someone with more knowledge on this can assist me (a plea to FernetMenta!). There are other reasons I am after a custom xorg.conf, I have been testing the pulse-eight USB-CEC adapter which works great, but when coming out of standby it does not find my TVs edid.

The specs of my HTPC are in my sig (HTPC 1) as you can see I have a GT430 installed (the goal is to remove this and rely on the onboard). So I started by grabbing a copy of the xorg.conf ubuntu automatically made for my GT430. Seen here

Next I have amended it for my TV and for intel onboard. Whether I have done this right I don't know? Amended xorg.conf here

Finally here is the Xorg.0.0.log from OpenElec using the amended xorg.conf.

Questions:
1) Openelec comes with a basic xorg.conf. Firstly am I correct a custom xorg.conf will imrpove my playback? Or am I wasting my time?
2) I had to amend the monitor section of my xorg to have:

Code:
Identifier     "HDMI3".

This was the only way I could achieve the Xorg.log to show:

Code:
Output HDMI3 using monitor section HDMI3

Even with the identifier as Monitor0 it always said:

Code:
Output HDMI3 has no monitor section

Is this correct?

3) Am I heading in the right direction? Are my modelines correct? Are they needed?
4) Can anyone offer any advice>

Notes:
I don't have the best setup to test this as, I am not sure whether my TV support 23.9... fps and it is only a 720p/1080i TV. I also have a SandyBridge processor.

AV = Sony STR-DG820
TV = Samsung PS50A457
There is this excellent thread by AlanWWW. Have you tried his suggestions already?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=intel
Maybe you can take a look at this

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137481
Thanks for replies.

@George, useful link thanks, Seems my custom xorg is pretty similar to AllanWWW so that means I was heading in the right direction. I will use his for a template

@ David1977, Yes I've read that (and linked to it in my first post)