Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any way to play 720p smoothly in 1.25GHz PPC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

First my Mac specs:

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard for PPC on Mac mini G4 1.25GHz 7450e PowerPC, 1GHZ 400MHz RAM, 167MHz FSB, 60GB IDE HDD

I've installed XBMC from .dmg and it works quite fine on a 1360*768 Sony LCD TV and a 1920*1080 HP LED Display

It manages to show 720p videos in .mkv format, here's a screenshot (in HP LED Display)

However, as you might expect from a 1.25GHz computer, the video and audio come intermittently.

And every 10-20 seconds, it shows "buffering %40...60..80..." message, though the .mkv video is in HDD (no USB HDD or Ethernet)
UPDATE: It no longer show buffering message, after I change the video settings, perhaps.

Here are the settings I use:

I was wondering if it's ever possible to play those 720p videos smoothly in this Mac , by changing the settings, tweaking something, etc.

Thanks.
Very doubtful.
The buffering was happening before I set the video settings all to "Auto".
After I set them as you see in the 2nd screenshot it no longer shows the buffering message.

Now, the video is intermittent (at about every 2 seconds) and audio about every 4 seconds. In this circumstantes, it's quite possible to watch the entire movie. I mean it's close to a smooth watching experience.

The XBMC I installed is V11.0 (~March 2012) I was wondering if Version 12.0 would solve these problems.
PowerPC just does not have the ponies to handle this.
Let me give you one more example:

I've got a Lenovo N500 3000 notebook with C2Duo 2GHz T6400 CPU and GeForce 9300M GS GPU

It's got 2 OS'es installed: 64bit Mac OS X Lion and 64bit Ubuntu 10.10

On Mac OS X Lion, PLEX is installed and thanks to video accelerator software called the Apple VDADecoder

PLEX on this notebook can play 1080p Videos smoothly and pictures are natural.

On this same notebook on Ubuntu 10.00, when I use XBMC to play 1080p videos, video quality is compromised and pictures are not so natural: There's a cutting line on the middle of the display. The first hafl of display is rendered with a lag to the second half. It's just natural and the video quality is clearly worse than the one seen in PLEX in OS X.

Maybe it's because XBMC on PowerPC does not use Apple VDADecoder. MAybe if XBMC uses VDADecoder, then even 1.25GHz PowerPC's will be able play 720p videos smoothly, perhaps...
And perhaps you are wrong and davilla is right? Don't compare bananas (c2d + nvidia) with apples (damn outdated powerpc + god knows for a gpu).
I don't believe PPC-era macs can use VDA (XBMC already takes advantage of VDA when it can). I have a 2 Ghz dual processor G5 tower that struggles on a lot of 720 content, and I eventually gave up hope years ago about using it as any kind of HTPC.
help me make my VW Bus run as fast as Dodge Charger with a Hemi.... That's what you just compared.
mv VWBus /places/orbit
cat sun > /VWBus/engine