Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Streacom IRRC - Help needed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just built my 3rd (I think) HTPC and it's easily the best one yet, the only thing I can't figure out is the IRRC receiver from Streacom.

The unit consists of a PCB mounted IR receiver that connects to a USB header and comes with a Philips RC260 style remote.

The receiver is recognised in Windows 7 device manager as "USB Composite Device" and "USB-compliant consumer control device" as well as having entries as "HID-compliant mouse" and "HID keyboard".

Nothing happens when I press any of the buttons, either in XBMC or Media Centre. I've tried the arrow keys in explorer any still nothing.
Other than the entries in device manager, there's no indication that anything is working, no LEDs etc.

I tried viewing the top of a remote through a camera to see if I can see the IR LED flashing but am failing to see that, though it may just be very dim. After replacing batteries several times, I then figured the remote must be dodgy so tried using my Logitech Harmony remote and added a standard MCE device, but no luck there either. Any suggestions on what to program the Harmony with?

I've just taken the unit back to the retailer and swapped it, they didn't test it, but the new one does exactly the same thing so it has to be something I'm missing.

I've searched a few forum and annoyingly (for me) everyone else using the remote is happy enough, save for a few non-functioning keys. I have an entire remote full of them!

I'm hoping it's something stupidly simple that I've not done but I've been over everything several times and can't see what it is.
Anyone have any ideas? I've emailed Streacom twice but no response thus far.

System Spec is below, thanks guys.

Streacom FC8 Evo Case
Asus P8H67-I Pro Mini-ITX
Intel Core i5 3450s
8GB PC3-10666 RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD
WD Green 2TB HDD
Sony Slim BD Writer
Streacom 150W Nano-PSU
Streacom IRRC
The device sends keyboard presses.

However there is a mode switch on the remote that enables the the mouse mode. i believer it was one of the 4 color buttons.

try opening a console (cmd.exe) and press the buttons.

Just tried command prompt, thought I'd try notepad too, but still nothing. I've tried enabling the keyboard press option in XBMC but that does nothing as the receiver's not picking up the commands.

Pressing each of the coloured buttons followed by the arrows to try and enable mouse mode does nothing either.

I've also tried with the Power Switch header cable connected and disconnected and that makes no difference. I would have thought that at it's base level, if it was working, the remote would be able to operate the power switch at least, even if windows hadn't configured it properly.

I am stumped.
use a digital camera to see if the remote is actually sending ir commands
Done that, I can't see that it is but when I view other remotes that I know are working the IR is very difficult to see.

This is the second remote, the last one was the same, what are the chances of two faulty remotes? Next step maybe is to open it up and see if anything looks wrong, I'm not sure I can be bothered traipsing back and explaining all this to try and get it exchanged again.
I have one of these - but I can't turn on the system from cold - is there a BIOS setting? Will it work with a PICO PSU?
dt121, did you fix the problem? I have the exact same one :-(
I gave up with it in the end, got it connected but could not get it to work at all. Others tried successfully and I'm fairly sure I did it right but having tried 2 units just couldn't be bothered messing around any further.

I decided to use an internal USB adapter and connect my previous generic MCE IR receiver which I stuck behind the window at the front of the case. Does the same job, nice and neat, it's just I can't turn it on via the remote but I keep it on 24/7 anyway.

I'm 99% sure it was a hardware issue as when tested, I couldn't get the remote itself to work, no IR through a camera, no response from Harmony remote in learn mode. I figured that unless these particular remotes emit a higher-frequency IR, they mustn't be emitting anything, therefore not working.

I also tried setting up a generic MCE device on the Harmony database, updated the remote, and then pointed it at the receiver but that did nothing either. I was puzzled as to why both the remote and IR wouldn't be working in each of the two units I tried but I had my old remote so for the sake of a £4 adapter I figured it wasn't worth banging my head against the wall anymore.

I contacted Streacom and they eventually responded asking for pictures of my remote, not heard anything since.

Bit disappointed really as I had high hopes but gave up feeling let down by the service which is a shame as they seem to be getting the product side of things (mostly) right.
From The streacom website:
Quote:The IRRC works with any RC6 compatible remote, but only supports the standard set of remote control keys, and will NOT work with keyboards or devices that have an extended set of keys.

When using a Logitech® Harmony remote, you need to select “Microsoft®” as the manufacturer and “Windows Media Center SE” and the model number when setting up the device.
Source: http://www.streacom.com/products/irrc/

This works perfectly for me!

I also had the problem that my htpc wouldn't react. According to the user manual you can switch between modes with red and blue buttons. If in Xbmc settings you turned off mouse or touch input mode 2 doesn't do anything. Pressing the red button solved it for me.
Source: http://www.streacom.com/downloads/ug/irrc.pdf

Hopefully this helps some people here!
I have the same one (last week). Quite disappointed about it since it only supports a few set of remote control keys. Not the MCE keyboard or anything else; just the regular MCE remote... Now I'm still using the smartphone app to control XBMC.
Too bad, I wouldn't buy the IR receiver again!
Did you try the IRRC programmable app from the Streacom website? It allows you to remap all the keys
I appreciate this is an old thread, I'm hoping this info might help anyone stumbling across this when they are trying to resolve problems with this product.

I struggled to get it working reliably initially. I eventually resorted to changing a component on the receiver PCB and I'm pleased to say it is now working extremely well.

I replaced the ceramic resonator, the 3 pin 1cm blob with a crystal that matched the ceramic resonators frequency. I cant recall the frequency but it is printed on the side. Note that a crystal only has two pins but the ceramic resonator and crystal are directly interchangeable. The centre pin of the resonator is redundant for the crystal.