Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Full (0-255) or limited (16-235) color range for MKV playback?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my PC hooked up to my projector, which supports the full 0-255 range, and my PC is set to 16-235 in the Nvidia control panel. I have the projector calibrated to display about 15-245ish, as recommended by the good folks at AVS forums. Here's my question... How does Nvidia handle the full 0-255 setting? If I'm primarily using my PC to play MKV files through XBMC, should I keep the color range set to 16-235 or should I change it to 0-255? Would my MKV files benefit from that setting, or would it "extend" those colors resulting in crushed blacks displayed by my projector? Theres also something called Dynamic Contrast Enhancement and Color Enhancement. Would XBMC benefit from either of those?

Or, to make things super easy, should I just leave this to "use video player settings" in the control panel and not worry about all of those settings?
Don't get too fussy... for the most part pass along the signal with the least amount of manipulation or interpolation, both hardware and software. It would seem that as soon as you introduce software corrections, the PQ starts to degrade, and hardware corrections might be quick, but I've never seen an enhancement that doesn't look like an enhancement. If you need to tweak the colour, gamma or brightness.. use the output panel or projector controls (hopefully you have a few presets). I would pass through the video "use video player settings", graphic cards just don't have the dedicated hardware that a good panel or projector has. Some of the past messages I've read indicate a full 0 - 255 is the best way to go, giving the hardware more latitude for refined correction.. but try both and tell us what is good for you...