Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How big can a database w/ fanart get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm about to build an XBMC Linux HTPC, and the plan was to use a 64GB SSD drive for my database / fanart.

But I'm going to be using all of my media from a 36TB file server and I have never used XBMC before.

How big can databases/fanart get?

Let's just ballpark it and say 2000 movies, 100 TV series, and 4000 music albums.
Can someone guesstimate how much space I'll be needing? Thanks so much! Smile
If using Frodo nightlies only the url to the art is stored in db, so the db itself is still small.

Pictures themselves will take, I'd say few gigabytes, maybe something like 5-10.
Any updates here? I'd rather not use URLs, and I'd rather my XBMC store all the art.
The URL is there so that the clients know which picture needs to be downloaded, thumbs and fanart will be stored locally on the client machine.
I see.

Trailers, I assume, would be scraped from Youtube, or some website, whereas fanart is downloaded and stored locally.

How big is each movie's fanart collection, typically?
TV fanart (for one series/season)?
Music art?
Assuming a single fanart image per movie, I'd say they'd average around 500k. Make it 1MB to make things easy. So 2000 movies is 2GB. TV fanart is one per show. Music fanart is one per artist. The rest of the images are much smaller (maybe 200k average for posters, smaller again for episodes) in comparison.

The other thing to consider is add-on packages can add up over time (lots of skin updates with a 100MB skin) but you can always clear those out.

I'd suggest 10GB would be heaps.
Perfect.

Thanks Smile
I am on eden. I have 1100 movies and about 90 shows that total about 3500 episodes. My thumbnails folder is about 700 megs. Hope that gives an idea.
I still don't understand why you wouldn't store the thumbnails and fan art on the 36 TB ... thats what I do and I have over 27000 pieces of "art" which take up a little over 1.2 GB on a gigabit ethernet connection and I don't notice any slow down at all

150 tv series, 500 movies, 2000 albums
Well, why would I when I can store it locally on an SSD? =\
I think you are right roach9, since you don't have a shared db then keep it local on your ssd. There's no benefit having the thumbs and such on a remote server in a setup like that.
Only thing would be if you run out of space but if this is a dedicated box for xbmc I doubt it will be a problem with 64gb.
How big can apps get? The National Geographic app for instance... does it store anything locally? If so, how much?