Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI video output overscan problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just built my first HTC and installed the latest openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 4.9 desktop, I have an attached (old?) Toshiba 32WKT66 TV an an NVidia GeForce GT520 card (including the latest 304.51 driver and various older ones) for HDMI output to the TV.

I'm seeing a desktop, and therefore XBMC, output that's larger than the screen size and I seem unable to be able to get this to fit the screen despite trying many of the solutions and advice found via a search. I'm a novice with HTPC and HDMI output and I'm not really sure what the problem is, is it overscan and can it be fixed. Here's a copy of my xorg.conf from most recent attempt at a fix for this problem.

Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 304.51  ([email protected])  Tue Sep 18 18:26:23 PDT 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Toshiba TSB-TV"
    DisplaySize     487    274
    HorizSync       15.0 - 46.0
    VertRefresh     49.0 - 61.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 520"
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "off"
    Option         "DPI" "86 x 86"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I've tried various settings (including no xorg.conf) in the Device/DPI setting with no success and the TV is supposed to be a 1920x1080i capable device. Is this situation likely to be improved or resolved if I had an amplifier such as the Onkyo TX-SR313 in this configuration? Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a solution?
the problem is your likely your tv. if you're lucky there will be a setting to allow perfect pixel output but not all old tv sets have that. on your tv go into the zoom or picture settings and see if there is an option to turn overscan off. it might be called perfect pixel, 1:1, full pixel or something like that. if not your only other option is to manually adjust the overscan settings in xbmc by going to settings > system > video > video calibration.
Hi

Thanks for your quick reply. I have a feeling it might be the TV and I'm guessing it's too old for this, I've just 'inherited' it to replace my old CRT TV. The only option I can see in the TV configuration menu that I guess might be the option you're talking about is "Exact Scan" and that was only available on the larger 42" model in this TV range. I've also tried the overscan settings in the XBMC menu you describe and that has no effect on the display. So I guess I'm out of luck with this TV?
exact scans sounds like what you're looking for so it's too bad it's not available on your tv. the video calibration settings should accomplish what you're looking for though. obviously that wouldn't have any effect on the kde desktop though there might be something in nvidia-settings for that. my htpc is headless so i don't have much experience in the desktop environment.
Thanks for your reply. I'll do some more testing of the XBMC Calibration setting but my first couple of tries didn't seem to work, I'll also see if there's anything I can do with the KDE Desktop but I don't hold out much hope for that. If there's anything I find that works I'll post back here. I suppose the best thing is to buy a new TV. Smile
i got my tv working i had the same problem

it took a insane long time tho and a lot of frustration * but for plasma its needed or burn in protection is turned off*

its in settings under system then video then video calibration

and i see that you are using nvidia do you happen to know how to select RGB colors or ycbcr i cannot seem to find these settings anywhere