Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Turning off TV with XBMC running fullscreen on TV screen cause log out and in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I have been in contact with Apple Care (within my 90 days free period) because I had a problem I thought was for every fullscreen app. The problem is that when I run XBMC on my TV screen and I turn off the TV screen or switch to another HDMI port the macbook pro logs out and in again which terminates all my running processes.
I was dumb enough to contact Apple Care before testing it with other full screen apps like Quicktime or VLC, so I was to discover that this only happens with XBMC running fullscreen and therefore not an Apple problem, but an XBMC problem.

Can anyone confirm this behavior or tell me a solution to it? Perhaps its a bug which can be solved in the next update?

Im runinng XBMC Eden 11.0 on Macbook Pro Retina connected to TV with HDMI.Running 10.8.2.

Keep up the good work. Love this application!
When you turn off the TV, essentially that display goes away from OSX and you just yanked the world out from under XBMC.
I understand, but that shouldn't mean that the system has to log out and in again - and the result of me loosing some of my work fro open apps. Doing the same with VLC and quicktime doesn't force log in and log out.

Im seeking a solution because my girlfriend love the friendly user interface of XBMC, but I can't get her to close XBMC and then unplug the hdmi connecter before shutting off the tv or choosing another hdmi port on the tv... Thinking it is because the laptop is standing away from the couch and TV.. Hehe..
Very weird. That shouldn't happen.
Looks like it's related to a bug with GPU switching in the Retina MBP. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/420...0&tstart=0
It shouldn't be happening under Mountain Lion, which i'm running (10.8.2). When I come home later this day I will check if the problem still persists if I force it to use the dedicated GPU with gfxCardStatus, though unfortunately I think it does
examine your osx system/console logs, those should tell what's going on.
The problem persists..

Can anyone get a meaning of this log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a27hwxv2jte9x34/Console.log

In the log is two incidents of the problem.

Hoping someone can help me :-

Please tell me if there is any information I don't want to share regarding the log. I'm not sure what the content is other than too many lines :-)
03/10/12 22.15.38,732 WindowServer[79] CGXMuxCapture: Released
03/10/12 22.15.38,732 WindowServer[79] Display 0x1b5d1bbb released by conn 0x14e83
03/10/12 22.15.54,158 com.apple.SecurityServer[15] Killing auth hosts
03/10/12 22.15.54,158 com.apple.SecurityServer[15] Session 100010 destroyed
03/10/12 22.15.54,168 com.apple.SecurityServer[15] Killing auth hosts
03/10/12 22.15.54,168 com.apple.SecurityServer[15] Session 100009 destroyed
Can anyone help me understanding this and help me with a fix? Is it something with the XBMC way of handling full screen to external displays on a Mac through hdmi?
I should also mention that I run with extended display, so XBMC run fullscreen on external TV while I can do something else on the laptops main screen. :-)
Even with 10.8.2, I think there still might be some unresolved bugs when Mac OS X tries to switch between the two GPUs in the Retina MBP. If you google something like "Retina MBP logout" you'll see a bunch of posts about it. XBMC can't really log someone out and log them back in like that, so it's happening on the OS level. XBMC's GUI is probably triggering a GPU change while VLC and QuickTime isn't. I would try downloading a game, maybe a demo or something free off of the App Store, that uses a lot of graphics, and see if it does the same thing that XBMC does.