Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc digital audio -> LG TV ( ARC ) -> Yamaha AVR - Not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently had all my HDMI inputs going into my Yamaha 373BL AVR, and the output to my LG TV. I have ARC (Audio Return Channel) enabled through the TV and receiver for watching TV content, or DLNA stuff.
It become a pain to use both remotes (TV and AVR) so I decided to have all my HDMI inputs go to my TV and use the ARC for all audio. Everything works pretty well. Xbox360, Cablebox, DLNA content, and my PC audio all work great. However, when trying to watch anything in XBMC and have the HDMI digital audio passthrough, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc... will not play. Videos stutter and no audio, it just doesn't work. Once audio is switched to analog, it works good. Obviously it's something to do with xbmc's hdmi passthrough audio, and my LG TV's ARC.

Is there something Im not setting up right, or is it relative to the tv manufacture and what digital audio they can passthrough correctly? I figured since all my other devices send the audio through ARC and sound good, like Xbox 360 (Dolby Digital) and content over DLNA, that XBMC could do it fine.

A lot of this is new to me, especially ARC, I just realized it existed a couple weeks ago, so any help would be great, thanks!
Looks like the tv doesn't passthrough the ac3 / dts stream. This might happen due to misssing licenses for these audio codecs. Imo you should go back to attach your media equip to the avr and passthrough the video to the tv. These are the most common setups and these should work for most users.