Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: PSU advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please help I've just realised I need a power supply (UK) for the case I've ordered Thermaltake Armor A30 Micro to go with either the AS Rock H77 PRO M OR the Intel DH77EB Micro ATX boards. Ive been told to get a SFX power supply with an ATX adapter plate. Please can someone advise on a model.
Thanks
Pico PSU, like all other mini builds. Now for the watt you'll need to post you're entire build if you want an estimate.
the Thermaltake Armor A30 supports Standard ATX PSU's...
(2012-10-03, 13:57)eskro Wrote: [ -> ]the Thermaltake Armor A30 supports Standard ATX PSU's...

But isn't it going to get pretty tight in the a30 with an ATX?
on the official website it says it supports standard ATX PSU's so...
i3 3225 Processor
Intel DH77EB Micro ATX
OCZ 120GB Solid 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III
Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM
8gb Kingston Blu memory
2x TV Tuner Card

Would this:
Be-Quiet Pure Power L7 300W
OR
Be Quiet SFX 300W MicroATX
do the job?
The SFX 300W model unfortunately does not come with the adapter plate. You'd have a lot more room in that case if you can find one that does. I've search a bunch of UK sites and I cannot find any. You're likely going to have to get an ATX power supply. If you do, see if you can get a modular one -- though it's going to be just as hard to find a low power modular power supply as finding an SFX power supply that comes with the adapter plate.

Damn!! I just ordered it!! What does the adapter plate do and is there a workaround without more shopping? Whats the problem with getting a standard ATX power supply, is it the noise?
Thanks for advice
The problem with an ATX power supply in such a small case is it takes up all the room, hence the suggestion to try and find a SFX power supply with the adapter plate.

A SFX power supply and ATX power supply are different sizes. The holes of the SFX won't match up with the holes in the case's ATX power supply bay. The adapter plate lets you screw in the SFX power supply to it and then you mount it to the ATX bay in the case. E.g.: https://www.shopfsp.com/sfx-to-ps2-psu-b...p/608.html

Without the adapter plate you will not be able to mount the power supply in your case.

This listing is in the UK:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFX-to-PS2-bra...0730996305
Ok
The case says it takes a full size ATX power supply though?
Also if thats not the case surely I just need to just buy an adapter plate?
(2012-10-03, 17:45)Davidja Wrote: [ -> ]Ok
The case says it takes a full size ATX power supply though?
Also if thats not the case surely I just need to just buy an adapter plate?

This listing is in the UK:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFX-to-PS2-bra...0730996305
Thanks you are a superstar!!!
Why mess around with the noisier little SFX PSU when you can have a quieter and more robust ATX PSU? Here is a very well made, and great reviews by users on Newegg - SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.....

The guy in this review installed a massive Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 650W
PSU in it.....Thermaltake Armor A30....
The Seasonic is great but I never seem to be able to find them available in the UK. Their ATX and SFX 300W PSU is terrific.

BTW, none of the SFX PSUs I've used (usually in the Lian-Li PC-Q07 or 08) have been noisy and they make a huge difference in these small cases for cooling/cable management.

How about the SFX PSUs you've used in small cases? It sounds like you've had a different experience in your hands-on testing and builds? I've used Seasonic, FSP and even Apex and found them all to be very quiet. What models and cases did you try that you found them to be noisy? I'd love to hear the specifics so I can avoid those issues myself.
Thanks for feedback,
The SEasonic is'nt available in the UK so thats not an option. Ive ordered the Be Quiet SFX 300W MicroATX and the bracket so fingers crossed it all works.
Big thank you to everyones advice.
Pages: 1 2