Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking to utilize actor thumbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have used version 10.1 and I am on 11.0 (Eden). I never noticed, but I have been using a program that once it gets all the movie information, I had no idea it was also grabbing actor thumbs and dumping them in a single folder. So I am thinking if it is possible to move that folder to my NAS and then have XBMC add those actor thumbs to the proper library of movies?

So questions;

Q1 - When I move the actor thumb folder to my NAS, is there a specific format? Example my movies are set up as NAS\Movies\(three sub-folders called 720, 1080 and SD; just to separate my 720,1080 and my SD movies). So do I have to make a folder on the NAS called "Actor Thumbs"?(NAS\Actor Thumbs) Do I need to put it under my "Movies" folder (Movies\Actor Thumbs)?

Q2 - When I get the folder in the NAS, what do I need to set up in XBMC to see that folder of thumbs?

Q3 - Or should I just tell my program not to collect the actor thumbs anymore and figure out how to use the option in XBMC in the video area called "Download actor thumbnails when adding to library"? If I go this route, where do the thumbs go on my system? Stays on the NAS? Gets added to each of my 4 systems?

I have 4 computers throughout the house that access the NAS which each system has it's own XBMC on it. All 4 are using "Backrow". All are Windows 7.

Thanks
Steve
Anyone or is no one using this feature?
So I can't get this to work. I moved the folder to my A NAS. I went in to a single movies nfo file and changed the path directory to the NAS now. I started X and drilled down to the actor thumb under movie information and his picture still does not show up

What else is there to do? Why is X not scanning that nfo and locating the new path? Or is there a setting that needs to tell X to scan it?
I think it's best to let xbmc download actor thumbs for you. They get added to a hidden folder called .actors inside tv shows, seasons and movies.

As actor thumbs are tiny as hell, allowing xbmc to redownload all of them isn't a big deal on bandwidth or time. Also, theres an addon "script.metadata.actors" that does all the magical cross-referencing stuff.

Hope it helps.
Vaikin, thank you very much for your reply.

So what's my first step to set up in XBMC? Just turn on the "Download actor thumbnails when adding to library?"

Will turning that feature create the "hidden" folders on my NAS?

I will look for that add on and get back to you

I assume thats what that option does. Just downloads actor images. The addon does cross-referencing.

Assuming you had something like:
c:\tv\dexter

Once actor thumbs are grabbed, a new folder should be created inside dexter:
c:\tv\dexter\.actors

also inside each season folder:
c:\tv\dexter\season 01\.actors

They're hidden, dunno why, but should be created automatically by xbmc when that option is enabled and new shows/seasons are added.

Edit:
In case you can't find it, it's here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123578

Just for laughs, I checked and one of my tv folders has over 4000 actor images totalling 125MB lol.