Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Auto-download of GUI skins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i tried the avalaunch dashboard and i was quite impressed by the number of funny and useful features.
one is the facility to download it's skins from a number of servers, automatically: previewing them and download the choosen ones.
can be interesting to you guys and gals out there?
already ahead of you Image
wow.
another cool thing - not implementable in python i fear - is the avalaunch facility of showing rss news on the tv screen (in the default page).
i wasn't aware of that feature... and i discovered that a new mameox was released when i plugged the xbox to the network. very funny!
it's be great if you could download skins from a main list or something from the xbox. e.g. goto skins section, press update, it downloads a list of skins avaliable from a server... then user can select a skin from the list (there are .png previews?) and download it, making it avaliable for use after download.
if and when (but not before xbmc 1.0) team-avalaunch provide their sources which they did promise quite a while ago (tj, u still alive Image )
it would be nice if xbmc had a built-in system for downloading/installing/deleting skins.

meedio has this and it is sweet!
they give you an onscreen "preview" of the skin before you decide to dl so you can see what it looks like.

any thoughts?
just fyi, frodo left before coding this, plus i've given up trying to get team-avalaunch to share their code for this, they've said they will on several occations but never came through :verysad:
if someone like to code this for xbmc (from scratch) then please go right ahead (ps! note that this is kind of depndent on xbmc-skin version system which been added to cvs since then)

edit: oh, and maybe some sort of skin container / package would be needed too?, that would make the process of downloading and installing it much simpler, as no un-zip/un-rar needed.