Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anybody using dynamic range compression? (ie. normalize audio volume)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been playing a lot of movies upstairs in my house which is near my baby's room and I find that I constantly need to adjust the volume because the quiet parts in movies are too quiet and the loud parts are incredibly loud. Most of the movies I watch require I keep my hand on the volume at all times...

There is an option in Eden called "Volume Amplifcation" (Dynamic Range Compression) which sounds like what I want but I won't be able to test it for a few days so I figured I'd ask in here.

Has anybody used it? Does it help at all? Does it make the movies sound any worse? What value should I set it to?
I use it on my AVR (onkyo TX-NR609) but on the onkyo not via xbmc. Ive noticed over time with diferent apps/phones/media devices that each ones dynamic rance compression sounds different. they all try to do the same thing but some do a better job of it. i'm usually not a fan of it because i think it distorts the audio (escpecially software based ones, i.e. xbmc) my onkyo has off light medium and heavy i choose light SOMETIMES i try and get away with not using it but i'll switch it on for mainly for TV shows or movies when i dont care about "the Expeierence" so in a nutshell yes thats the setting your looking for to do what you describe, i dont know the details of it but start light and go heavier if needed the more compression done the crappier the sound will be and if at all possible use your AVR instead