Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC displays black screen eventually that I can't get out of
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm running an XBMC session on UBUNTU 12.04.

I'm running it on a DELL D630, with a DVI to HDMI converter on the docking station. The machine outputs to the TV just fine.

Wnen the machine boots, i have it log right in with an XBMC session, automatically. It looks fantastic.

At some point, the screen goes black. Not sure when this happens. (Might be after I've switched TV inputs, and switched back.) But I get a black screen eventually.

I can't seem to get out of this black screen - no amount of banging on the keyboard can throw me back to my XBMC session. I'm using the android remote, and I can hear menu navigation sounds on my speakers. So I know that XBMC is still running. And I know that the TV is getting the black screen from the Dell, since its not reporting its normal "No Signal" message on a blue screen.

The logs don't hint at anything - either XBMC logs, or local system logs.

So thats the problem.

What can I check?

- Thanks,

Todd
Confused
You'll need to post logs. You may not think they have anything relevant, but that's probably not be the case.
Ok.

I've put XBMC into DEBUG mode. Here's the xbmc.log file:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=10080

Thanks.

ps. So far, I've tried switching skins. this has not seemed to make a difference.
The problem is that once the OS screen saver has managed it to kick in, the provided API functions can't disable it again. I have solved this in a testing branch by simulating mouse movement.
Well, I don't have the screensaver running. xscreensaver or gnome screensaver are not running. And I'm not running gnome at all (since I'm using the XBMC session as my default session.

So is there another screensaver-like process that might be running that I'm not aware of? Is there a power management process that could be running that turns off the display? If so, whats it called?

Please let me know. Also - is there anything in my log that implies anything?
If it's currently enabled, try disabling the following setting and see if it helps: System/Settings > System > Power saving > Put display to sleep when idle
Or try to disable dpms in xorg.conf.
Folks,

I still can't seem to get this to work correctly.

I've disabled DPMS
I've disable MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

What I have noticed is that it boots fine - and displays fine if I leave the TV input on the XBMC box. If I change it, after a small amount of time, if I switch back to XBMC, XBMC is blank - and remains in a black screen state.

Other information:

When XBMC is blank, the android remote can no longer connect, control things, or get a listing of my music/videos etc... There is definitely a relationship between the remote not working, and the black screen - though I assume that the remote's failure to talk to XBMC is a symptom of the same problem that's causing the black screen of death.

Also - I've punted and gone to XBMCbuntu - I have a clean XBMCbuntu install. I still have the SAME symptoms.

Any thoughts?

- Todd