Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Internet connection DSL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys and Gals, please forgive me if there is a post already on here about this issue but my Internet is the worst in the world, I could wing but shall refrane lol.
I have a PC thats linux setup and got XBMCubuntu on one partition and Maya mint 13 on another partition,
All other partitions are NTFS (as this is the only way I could get the Linux to even see the partition)

I am only worrying about the XBMCubuntu installation.
I cannot connect to the internet.
I have DSL connection that is user name and password only, I have no idea what the other info is,
What I want is to connect internet via XBMCubuntu NOT have to reboot and come back onto Mint Maya to ask questions etc on this forum.
Can some one give me any help.
Lets face it I have tried other media progs and the look and feel of XBMC is more to my liking.
Thanks in advance. keep up the good work
(2012-10-07, 20:16)Bobski60 Wrote: [ -> ]I have DSL connection that is user name and password only, I have no idea what the other info is,
What I want is to connect internet via XBMCubuntu NOT have to reboot and come back onto Mint Maya to ask questions etc on this forum.
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Isn't DSL an "always on" connection so there shouldn't be a need to log-in (as is the case with dial-up)? How do you get access the Internet when you are using Mint Maya? Or are you referring to WiFi authentication when you say "user name and password"? If you are indeed referring to WiFi, then do the following:
  • Exit XBMC and, on the system log-in screen, log-in using the "XBMCbuntu" session (instead of "XBMC")
  • This will boot the system into the XBMCbuntu desktop
  • Click the little networking icon (next to the speaker icon) on the bottom-right of the system tray
  • Enter your WiFi authentication information (network name, password)
  • When done, you should be connected to your WiFi network
  • Click the Shutdown icon, select log-off, and log-in again, but choose the "XBMC" session this time.
If you're not talking about WiFi log-in, then you'll need to explain exactly how you access the Internet on your other systems.

Exit XBMC and, on the system log-in screen, log-in using the "XBMCbuntu" session (instead of "XBMC")

oh didnt know that first one was there lol oops
I think I may have confused you sorry, thought I had got the question cornered. Am NOT on wifi, am on cable thing. connected to the main wifi. dont get me rolling on that one lol lets forget WIFI
am on DSL which is in "network configuration" as DSL not wireless, Mobile or VPN.
All I have ever done is click on DSL add and put my user name and password in.
But I cannot find any connection on XBMC.................................
But I think you may have just answed my question.
Ill be back in about 2 hrs lol as Ill nip on over to XBMC and look into it.
I think what I may have confused my self with is automatic login so I dont see that screen.
as Arni says.............. Ill be back
your DSL modem is attached to the PC through USB, yes?
OK did some more tests on the os, i found the log in, log out and got into xbmcbuntu, thanks for that, didny know it was there lol. Nod
Anyway filled in the connections as DSL connection put in my password and login for web and still could not get onto the web, I can get on with mint mate so its not the connection or anything.
Any suggestions?
Prof Yaffle
All we have is a LAN line coming in through the window, so the modem must be over the road in the next house. Dont ask its the Ukrainian way!!!!!!!!!!!
But believe me it will change when I get my money through from Britain.
Buy a standard router, attach it to the lan cable, and put your username and password in. From here on you can either use wifi (if you buy a wifi capable router) or connect your gadgets via standard lan cable. No need to configure internet on any pc in your home network, as the router will forward the internet connection. Thats what i would do.
That my friend is the first thing I am scheduled to do, but I am glad you verified it for me, I get sick of one day yes next day no, cannot find the ip etc etc, if its connected then its connected lol
This house is gonna be a modern house in the next few months, I was once a gadget man and those days are returning lol

Thanks for the help on this issue, I do appreciate it.
Ill see you in my next thread lol

Resolved due to change of a name on the type of connection.
instead of Home I changed it to Home alone 2 lol