Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Killed my xbmc install due to upgrade any help appreciated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all

Long time xbmclive user thought I'd try and upgrade to Eden since was running an old version from 2010. What a bad decision! Now completely killed my xbmc install and need some advice or help on some parts or requirements I'm missing. First I updated ubuntu to version 10.04 then updated xbmc to Eden. No errors during the update. When booting I get the following error followed by the login prompt. Running on Acer Revo 1600.

Code:
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

In xorg.log:

Code:
II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

# sudo modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've tried installing latest nvidia drivers already.

Cheers.
I'm afraid its all bad news... What killed it, was upgrading your Linux from whatever(previous version) to whatever(newer version), that was the worst thing you could have done (it is well documented issue). Imo all you can do is learn from it.

Upgrading just xbmc would not cause that.

The worst news is that upgrading Linux is such a bad idea that trying to fix it is going to be 10X longer than reinstalling again.

You may want to look at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

Alternatively If you had a backup to previous "messing around" restore that backup.

You can issue a
Code:
aptitude reinstall nvidia-current nvidia-settings
it may bring you some results, but I doubt it will resurrect your system completely or partially.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/