Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions Regarding Setting Up Multiple Devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm starting to setup XMBC across my house and I want to make sure I do things right. I have several devices I will be using to view media, one of which is an always on Windows HTPC. Some of the devices I have are mobile and won't always be on the home network. I have 3 "groups" of family members that each like to watch different things, so need different watched flags (hopefully synced with trakt.tv) and different media collections. I also want the ability to pause on one device and resume on another. I'm pretty sure XBMC can do all this for me with the right setup. I'm pretty sure I need to use Profiles as well as a MySQL videos database for each user group.

1. Is there an easy way to copy profiles to each of the devices I set up or do I need to re-setup each profile on each device?
2. Is there an easy way to copy things that are specific to the device from one profile to another (such as overscan)? Or a way to set them for all profiles?
3. If I have a mobile device which has both local media that will always be available and network media that will sometimes be available, should I create an extra "Mobile" profile?
4. Is the fact that I want a few Windows PCs, a laptop, an iPad, and a Raspberry Pi to all work together going to cause me problems?

Thanks!

1. Yep, just copy over the userdata (wiki) folder on each device

2. Same as 1, since it will include GUI settings (specifically the guisettings.xml file). Deleting this file, but copying the others, will give you default GUI settings but still copy profile settings and such.

3. Yep, but the mobile profile will need to be default and MySQL (wiki) on a second profile, since the default/master profile is loaded first. (see here)

4. The Pi is likely to cause a little complication, since it's running a development build (wiki). To sync the Pi with everything else, the other computers would also have to be running a development build (at or near the same date the Pi's build is based on). The other devices will all run fine, regardless of OS.