Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First Proper HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey Guys,
Planning my first HTPC build. I'm currently running an old HP Dv5 Laptop with xbmc and some other software but it's gets very hot, stuggles with 1080p and I'm having major networking issues so decided to just build from scratch.

I'm going to be running Ubuntu and the system needs to be able to handle 1080p. I currently have a 3TB 3.0 external drive for most of my media which is nowhere near full. So I'll just need a small ssd to install Ubuntu on.

I'm thinking something like this build but with the new ivy bridge cpu instead. Want to keep heat down a much as possible as the htpc will be inside a tv cabinet. I would like noise to be kept to a minimum obviously but a small amount is ok as it will be inside the cabinet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...3pid720865

I am located in Australia btw just fyi.

So am I on the right track?

Thanks

(2012-10-14, 09:22)mattjones701 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Guys,
Planning my first HTPC build. I'm currently running an old HP Dv5 Laptop with xbmc and some other software but it's gets very hot, stuggles with 1080p and I'm having major networking issues so decided to just build from scratch.

I'm going to be running Ubuntu and the system needs to be able to handle 1080p. I currently have a 3TB 3.0 external drive for most of my media which is nowhere near full. So I'll just need a small ssd to install Ubuntu on.

I'm thinking something like this build but with the new ivy bridge cpu instead. Want to keep heat down a much as possible as the htpc will be inside a tv cabinet. I would like noise to be kept to a minimum obviously but a small amount is ok as it will be inside the cabinet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...3pid720865

I am located in Australia btw just fyi.

So am I on the right track?

Thanks

Cut the dedicated gpu and get a i3 3220 or 3225 instead of the 2105, change the H61 for a H77 w/hdmi, get a nice 60gb ssd (samsung 830/crutical M4/ocz agility) and you're good to go Smile
I think an ivy bridge+dedicated gpu would put out more heat than a AMD Trinity or Llano APU. It would also be cheaper and probably have better gaming capabilities. The only problem is that there isn't any FM2 mITX boards out yet, so you would have to get microATX.

Looking on Newegg real quick, you can get a gigabyte A75 mobo, an A6-5400k, and 8gb of 1866 ram for $214.97. This will do pretty much anything that you want it to when it comes to XBMC. My htpc has a E-350 w/ 4gb of ram and the whole system runs at 45w idle, and like 55w when playing 720p content.
(2012-10-14, 17:31)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]I think an ivy bridge+dedicated gpu would put out more heat than a AMD Trinity or Llano APU. It would also be cheaper and probably have better gaming capabilities. The only problem is that there isn't any FM2 mITX boards out yet, so you would have to get microATX.

Looking on Newegg real quick, you can get a gigabyte A75 mobo, an A6-5400k, and 8gb of 1866 ram for $214.97. This will do pretty much anything that you want it to when it comes to XBMC. My htpc has a E-350 w/ 4gb of ram and the whole system runs at 45w idle, and like 55w when playing 720p content.

A lot of people are thinking of the new trinity... when ever the itx board comes out I am considering to give it a shot.
We should start to see reviews soon of people building with them.

Big Grin
(2012-10-14, 17:31)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]I think an ivy bridge+dedicated gpu would put out more heat than a AMD Trinity or Llano APU.
I have my eyes on A6-5400K for my next build too. It doesn't mean that A6-5400K is better than i3 iVy. I'm planning for the A6-5400K, because of the price....

Why would you need a discrete GPU for an iVy Bridge? Intel iVy iGPU should be able to handle 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio with ease. Stock Intel is known to run cooler and consume less energy than stock AMD.....

(2012-10-14, 18:48)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-14, 17:31)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]I think an ivy bridge+dedicated gpu would put out more heat than a AMD Trinity or Llano APU.
I have my eyes on A6-5400K for my next build too. It doesn't mean that A6-5400K is better than i3 iVy. I'm planning for the A6-5400K, because of the price....

Why would you need a discrete GPU for an iVy Bridge? Intel iVy iGPU should be able to handle 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio with ease. Stock Intel is known to run cooler and consume less energy than stock AMD.....

The build that he linked to had a i3 along with a dedicated gpu so I assumed that he wanted a dedicated GPU. Isn't Ivy Bridge a bit overkill for a htpc?
(2012-10-14, 19:00)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't Ivy Bridge a bit overkill for a htpc?
No more than Llano and Trinity are overkill as well. Remember not all IVB are the same - just as not all Trinity are either. I'd say low-end IVB and Trinity are perfectly suited for HTPC duties.

That sounds cool! when you think you are going to get it going?
(2012-10-14, 22:26)Beer40oz Wrote: [ -> ]

That sounds cool! when you think you are going to get it going?
Hopefully soon.....as I mentioned on another thread, I'm waiting to see my new entertainment center first. I want to make sure that the case will look good and fit in the new entertainment center.....

Wow lots of replies while I was asleep haha. Thanks guys. Yeah sorry I ment get the ivy bridge and remove the gpu from that build. Forgot to add that in the original post. I think I'm leaning towards Intel as I've heard there more a bit more compatible with Linux.

So running just the i3-3xxx with no gpu would run everything I want with low heat?

What psu would you guys recommend? Happy to go fan less but most of the ones I've seen arnt Australian voltages.
(2012-10-14, 23:12)mattjones701 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow lots of replies while I was asleep haha. Thanks guys. Yeah sorry I ment get the ivy bridge and remove the gpu from that build. Forgot to add that in the original post. I think I'm leaning towards Intel as I've heard there more a bit more compatible with Linux.

So running just the i3-3xxx with no gpu would run everything I want with low heat?

What psu would you guys recommend? Happy to go fan less but most of the ones I've seen arnt Australian voltages.

The i3 should be more than enough.
If you want fanless you could go for Seasonic but they are quite pricy. My HTPCs run nice and quiet with Corsair cx430, and I've also heard that Silverstones own PSUs are quite nice price/performance wise.. But I don't know that much about the Silverstone PSU so you might have to ask somebody else if you want to know more, maybe @bluray can fill in on that one.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=16502
Would the 140 watt built in PSU be enough to power everything? This is assuming just i3-3xxx with no gpu, an SSD and possibly another HDD down the track?

Also is there any point getting 8gb of memory over 4gb? And will RAM Speed make any performance changes at all?
(2012-10-15, 01:49)mattjones701 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=16502
Would the 140 watt built in PSU be enough to power everything? This is assuming just i3-3xxx with no gpu, an SSD and possibly another HDD down the track?at all?

The ML03 doesn't come with a PSU. The only 140 I see in the specs is "depth limit = 140mm".
(2012-10-15, 03:54)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-15, 01:49)mattjones701 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=16502
Would the 140 watt built in PSU be enough to power everything? This is assuming just i3-3xxx with no gpu, an SSD and possibly another HDD down the track?at all?

The ML03 doesn't come with a PSU. The only 140 I see in the specs is "depth limit = 140mm".

Totally read the specs wrong. In the description it said something about a 140W CPU and seeing the 140 in the PSU section of specs threw me.

So PSU Suggestions than? Wink
(2012-10-15, 04:13)mattjones701 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-15, 03:54)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]

Totally read the specs wrong. In the description it said something about a 140W CPU and seeing the 140 in the PSU section of specs threw me.

So PSU Suggestions than? Wink

Looking at the PCCaseGear.com, this one would be my first choice: Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX which is a small SFX PSU that comes with a bracket to fit it to the ML03. With that one, there'd be no worries about the depth of an optical drive interfering with the PSU or cabling. Other than that, Seasonic S12II 430W.
Pages: 1 2