Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Few question about hardware and software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have few questions regarding XBMC and building HTPC.

First with the software questions for XBMC. What is more optimized for watching movies XBMCbuntu or XBMC on Windows? Also if i decide to run dual boot, can i store my movies in Windows partition, and still be able to access them from XBMCbuntu?

Now about the hardware. I am planning on building HTPC primary for watching movies, web surfing and sometimes playing some low demanding games (ex. World Of Goo). My budget is about 200$ without HDD (i have 500GB one). I have few options for CPU. First is Athlon II X2 240, the end configuration will end up cheapest since I will be buying a used CPU and MB (older AM2 model with DDR2 ram), and since it is cheap i will trow a bit more to get GT510/610 with passive cooling. Next is Intel Pentium G620 and the end build will end up a close to 200$, in this option there is integrated GPU in the processor so at the start i won't need to buy dedicated GPU. And as third option i have some APU from AMD (maybe A4-3400) also this build will end up around 200$ with the advantage that i have dedicated GPU in it.
The rest of the components i will choose them depending on the CPU. Probably there will be 4GB ram, 300W power supply and some cheap ugly case since i will hide the pc behind the tv.

The question about the hardware is what option is the best and why? Also i would like to ask how smooth playback will i have. Most of the time i will be playing 720p videos, next are 480p (i know i wont have problem with this) and least played will be 1080p. I don't plan in near future watching 3D movies.
I would stick with xbmc on windows. If you are not familiar with linux, then xbmcbuntu, openelec, xbmcfreak, can be a real nightmare, especially if your media is on another computer or partition. Also, god help you if your audio or ethernet drivers aren't working correctly lol.

As for the cpu - get an APU. Intel graphics are awful and APU's, especially Llano, are getting cheaper since it's pretty much a dead socket (FM1). It will play 1080p just fine. Probably won't even hit 50% usage.
(2012-10-14, 18:15)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]I would stick with xbmc on windows. If you are not familiar with linux, then xbmcbuntu, openelec, xbmcfreak, can be a real nightmare, especially if your media is on another computer or partition. Also, god help you if your audio or ethernet drivers aren't working correctly lol.

As for the cpu - get an APU. Intel graphics are awful and APU's, especially Llano, are getting cheaper since it's pretty much a dead socket (FM1). It will play 1080p just fine. Probably won't even hit 50% usage.

+1
I have had some experience with linux, but only basic stuff. My question was, are there any performance difference between the two OS options?

Yea, the prices of APU should be falling, but here in Macedonia there still aren't any new piledriver APU, so the prices are still the same.

I just got word from the guy who was selling the used parts and he dropped the price, now it is 180$ with GT610. I am only little worried about the MB since it is older model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813127035).
(2012-10-14, 18:15)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]As for the cpu - get an APU. Intel graphics are awful and APU's, especially Llano, are getting cheaper since it's pretty much a dead socket (FM1).
What is this?

-Intel Pentium G850- $69
-AMD A6-3500- $69

A better Intel G850 CPU is the same price as A6-3500 CPU, and Intel HD2000 should be able to handle 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio with ease......you can go with the lesser Intel G530 too.....

(2012-10-14, 18:24)toteto Wrote: [ -> ]I have had some experience with linux, but only basic stuff. My question was, are there any performance difference between the two OS options?

Yea, the prices of APU should be falling, but here in Macedonia there still aren't any new piledriver APU, so the prices are still the same.

I just got word from the guy who was selling the used parts and he dropped the price, now it is 180$ with GT610. I am only little worried about the MB since it is older model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813127035).

If you're asking which OS will give you more FPS or post processing or something like that, then no, there's not much of a difference between linux and win7. Maybe windows has newer DXVA drivers, I dunno. The problem is actually getting it up and running. I wanted to tear my eyeballs out when I tried running xbmcbuntu and couldn't get my audio drivers to work. I had to end up typing all the configurations in a command line just so my stupid hdmi audio would work.

And if you have to use symlinks to get your thumbnails to display properly then you are really in for some fun. Angry
(2012-10-14, 18:15)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]I would stick with xbmc on windows. If you are not familiar with linux, then xbmcbuntu, openelec, xbmcfreak, can be a real nightmare, especially if your media is on another computer or partition. Also, god help you if your audio or ethernet drivers aren't working correctly lol.

Another AMD fan? Wink
(2012-10-14, 18:40)Beer40oz Wrote: [ -> ]

Another AMD fan? Wink

I bought AMD stock when it was $6.00 so yeah, APU APU APU!! Tongue

But all joking aside, I just like the low end stuff that AMD is putting out. It runs cool and idles at low power and plays everything I need it to. But my desktop is a Core i5 and my laptop is a Core i3.
(2012-10-14, 18:47)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]But all joking aside, I just like the low end stuff that AMD is putting out. It runs cool and idles at low power and plays everything I need it to. But my desktop is a Core i5 and my laptop is a Core i3.
Funny, everything you said you liked about low-end AMD is done better on Intel. Intel SNB Pentiums & Celerons use less energy, run cooler, can play 1080p without a problem, and cost the same (or less) as the AMD offerings. The only advantage AMD has is 3D capability.

Just as bluray pointed out above the A6-3500 is the same price as the G850 and the G850 is better for HTPC in just about every way except it doesn't do 3D.

(2012-10-14, 18:37)Sir_Meowsalot Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is actually getting it up and running. I wanted to tear my eyeballs out when I tried running xbmcbuntu and couldn't get my audio drivers to work. I had to end up typing all the configurations in a command line just so my stupid hdmi audio would work.
Because you haven't check out this thread- [GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms.....and you haven't try the nightly build- Nightly Builds....

I've seen it written a few times now that the Pentium G8x0 CPUs have Intel HD 2000 graphics. They have the Intel HD graphics, like all Celeron/Pentiums, not HD2000. See here: http://ark.intel.com/products/53491/Inte...e-2_90-GHz .

Then see here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/...1174.htm#4

Intel HD Graphics is the initial implementation of the graphics introduced with the Intel® Core™ i5-6xx processor series and the Intel® Core™ i3-5xx processor series. Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Intel HD Graphics 3000 are the second generation of processor graphics and perform much higher than the original version. The Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Intel HD Graphics 3000 were introduced with the Intel® Core™ i7-2xxx, Intel® Core™ i5-2xxx, and Intel® Core™ i3-2xxx processor series. which even this is a bit misleading because the Intel HD here is not the Clarkdale Intel HD either.

Looking at this article: http://www.anandtech.com/Show/4524/the-s...20t-tested, you can see that the GPU specs are the same but it's not Intel HD2000. If anything, it's a crippled HD2000 with the same performance except missing key HD2000 features like "Quick Sync, InTru 3D (Blu-ray 3D), Intel Insider (DRM support for web streaming of high bitrate HD video) and Clear Video HD (GPU accelerated post processing)"

So, yes, while it has the same number of EUs (6) and clock speed at the Intel HD2000, it's not true HD2000, more like HD2000 lite, same GPU, half the features Smile.
(2012-10-15, 03:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen it written a few times now that the Pentium G8x0 CPUs have Intel HD 2000 graphics.
It have been known for a long time. Intel Pentium G850 is being sold as HD2000 everywhere. As many tests stated, Pentium G850 and Core i3-2120 graphic are virtually identical since both use the same Intel HD Graphics 2000 technology......reviews- Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz CPU Review and Intel Entry Pentuim G620/G850 Builds Sandy Bridge ITX Platform .....

(2012-10-15, 05:42)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-15, 03:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen it written a few times now that the Pentium G8x0 CPUs have Intel HD 2000 graphics.
It have been known for a long time. Intel Pentium G850 is being sold as HD2000 everywhere. As many tests stated, Pentium G850 and Core i3-2120 graphic are virtually identical since both use the same Intel HD Graphics 2000 technology......reviews- Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz CPU Review and Intel Entry Pentuim G620/G850 Builds Sandy Bridge ITX Platform .....

Right, and if you read the rest of what I wrote, I said that they are the same architecture and explained the differences between Intel HD and 2000.

"So, yes, while it has the same number of EUs (6) and clock speed at the Intel HD2000, it's not true HD2000, more like HD2000 lite, same GPU, half the features"