Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I have been in all forums. Been searching for one hour

1)In order to get xbmc content to android add sharing to all upnp then I believe you need bubble upnp then add xmbc under settings?
Is that correct?

2) but where i am stuck is the opposite direction how to get android phone content to xbmc including storage card

Please any apps needed etc
Its been since yesterday hmm so far I have had no replys quite suprised as this is the xbmc forum right? This is the forum to get help on technical in and out of xbmc ?

Where the technical gurus hang out

anyone got the technical knowledge on this forum to answer the above please

I am on the right forum and after all I am using xbmc so any ideas experts? Guru and lastly anyone else
I'm not really sure what's being asked...

Are you trying to use UPnP to play content off of your phone to XBMC?
Hey Ned Scott thanks for the reply I was beginning to lose hope

All I want really is to

1)add my android phone contents ( on phone internal storage and sd card movies pictures songs ) to the xbmc so it discover my phone but I don't know how to do this in the settings

2) xbmc to see my satellite box recording which is on the satalite boxand play the movies through xbmc

3) stream xbmc contents to android phone

Please

I would be so great full if you can help as I love xbmc but I need to do all the above 3

Is this forum still active? As it seems to be completely dead apart from ned who began to try to help but then seems to of vanished?..

I am guessing the conclusion is that it's possiblly a too difficult request and xbmc might not be suited for the above As there has been no active answers hey ho never mind . I guess I will do what any new user would do is to source out an alterative media centre where the forums would be more active and show some more activity

Where one can very swiftly move on to using its features and less time and days on forums

A second logical conclusion that reason for no answers is sadly the forum is inactive which is a great shame I will be moving onto a different media server perhaps media portal windows media centre anything else they can do the above and where indeed the forum support is more active and more users willing to contribute

Thank you for the minimum support and leaving the forum with a bad experience as I was a totally new user looking forward to using the software but hey ho let's leave it there

(2012-10-16, 22:10)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]Is this forum still active? As it seems to be completely dead apart from ned who half hearted try to help but then seems to of vanished?..

I am guessing the conclusion is that it's possiblly a too difficult request and xbmc might not be suited for the above As there has been no active answers hey ho never mind . I guess I will do what any new user would do is to source out an alterative media centre where the forums would be more active and show some more activity

jeez no patience or what?
International forum.... lots of people.... lots of questions...
not everyone is looking for what you want so if you think that if you won't get an answer with 24hours and draw the conclusion that there is no activity.....

ofcourse feel free to go search for something else that might fit your needs
(2012-10-16, 22:14)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-16, 22:10)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]Is this forum still active? As it seems to be completely dead apart from ned who half hearted try to help but then seems to of vanished?..

jeez no patience or what?
International forum.... lots of people.... lots of questions...
not everyone is looking for what you want so if you think that if you won't get an answer with 24hours and draw the conclusion that there is no activity.....

ofcourse feel free to go search for something else that might fit your needs

Please do not be angry but I feel 2 days of waiting was quite enough time? And after 155 views i thoughT no body is interested Surely? No body wants to contribute?

Come on man this is the official xbmc forum ?

You guys made the software . Sorry just stating my point of view.

Of course I can go to another forum and get the answer but I first thought this was the right forum to begin with but you have put me in reasonable doubt now

Unless of course you will confirm its too difficult of a task to accomplish with xbmc then maybe I will agree
(2012-10-16, 22:15)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]Please do not be angry but I feel 2 days of waiting was quite enough time? And after 155 views i though no body is interested Surely?

Unless of course you will confirm its too difficult of a task to accomplish with xbmc then maybe I will agree

your response has made me not care too much, sorry but i guess it could be done.

perhaps some one else can help you...
(2012-10-16, 22:21)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-16, 22:15)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]Please do not be angry but I feel 2 days of waiting was quite enough time? And after 155 views i though no body is interested Surely?

your response has made me not care too much, sorry but i guess it could be done.

perhaps some one else can help you...

Ok that's quite fine not a problem at all I really don't have a problem with your response and now you have confirmed in writing for me to exit the forum as you put it but in a non direct way and also that i wont be getting support for using xbmc from within this forum I will happy leave at your request

Just the same situation when as when customer rep support is rude to you the first thought that goes through anyone's is dont use the product jump ship

Hope new users see you comment and think twice too and I don't think you had a clue how to do what I wanted in the first place

All the best
It's a bad experience because we didn't stop whatever we were doing (like real life, jobs, family, etc) and help you right away questions that require complicated answers/instructions within 24 hours?

With the volume of posts that come in, and the fact that people help each other out here for free and in their extra time, there's not a lot of incentive to help someone out who has obviously not even tried to search for the answers, read the wiki manual, or properly explain their request.

let's look at your three questions:

1. I don't really know much about android and what sharing options there are that would share the entire phone in a secure way that I would feel comfortable suggesting to a user. I guess that makes me an asshole. Maybe if you had searched or waited a little bit, someone could point you in the right direction. Not everyone who knows about these things are online all the time.

2. There's no way to answer this with the amount of info you've given. What satellite provider do you have? What kind of satellite receiver box do you have? How is it connected to the rest of your network? Is it restricted by your provider at all (most restrict access to recordings by outside applications)? This isn't standard information that we can just assume. I don't even know where on the planet you are getting satellite service from.

3. XBMC itself isn't really a streaming server. It has some server abilities via UPnP, but that won't work over the internet, it will only work on the local network. This situation/question is something that's been answered several times before, and there are several possible solutions depending on what you need (transcoding? DVD covers and plot summaries? just files? add-on content?).

EDIT: and we're not support reps or a company serving you. This is a community that helps each other, so get other your entitlement.
(2012-10-16, 22:32)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]It's a bad experience because we didn't stop whatever we were doing (like real life, jobs, family, etc) and help you right away questions that require complicated answers/instructions within 24 hours?

With the volume of posts that come in, and the fact that people help each other out here for free and in their extra time, there's not a lot of incentive to help someone out who has obviously not even tried to search for the answers, read the wiki manual, or properly explain their request.

let's look at your three questions:

1. I don't really know much about android and what sharing options there are that would share the entire phone in a secure way that I would feel comfortable suggesting to a user. I guess that makes me an asshole. Maybe if you had searched or waited a little bit, someone could point you in the right direction. Not everyone who knows about these things are online all the time.

2. There's no way to answer this with the amount of info you've given. What satellite provider do you have? What kind of satellite receiver box do you have? How is it connected to the rest of your network? Is it restricted by your provider at all (most restrict access to recordings by outside applications)? This isn't standard information that we can just assume. I don't even know where on the planet you are getting satellite service from.

3. XBMC itself isn't really a streaming server. It has some server abilities via UPnP, but that won't work over the internet, it will only work on the local network. This situation/question is something that's been answered several times before, and there are several possible solutions depending on what you need (transcoding? DVD covers and plot summaries? just files? add-on content?).

EDIT: and we're not support reps or a company serving you. This is a community that helps each other, so get other your entitlement.

Well ok if you put it that way then ok it starts to make sense

When a new user joins for the first time you must appreciate they might get the impression that xbmc has experts all the time and know the in and out of every question I mean I thought every one of you volunteers knew everything now I know this is not how it is I now know it takes more than one user to answer all 3 questions at once and I must wait for individual volunteers to answer separately

My bad that this was assumed maybe I should wait then ok fair enough your ad is noted

Btw no one called you an ass
The first question I asked I might have caught you of guard or maybe I have not worded it right for you well sorry indeed

and just to let you know i have been searching for the last week I have read the wiki notes but they were quite difficult to understand after reading a whole afternoon and I have searched the forum but no questions have matched mine and I did not want to waste forum space by asking individual questions.

So it's a bit unfair to assume that I haven't bothered to read the wiki manuals or searched the forums or worded my question right Im not that good at knowing what information you needed like make and model etc

ok I am trying below to provide more information and have cleared up the questions for you to hopefully help you make more sense of what I am asking xbmc to do and I'm sure you can confirm wether it can be done or it won't be done by xbmc

1) II don't want to share the whole contents of my phone just the

movies
and if possible photos and music
the phone is connected by wifi on the same network

2)humax dvr which is connect by LAN also there's a wifi option too as far as I am aware there is no restrictions as the satellite recording reside on a personal hd recorder which the satellite recording have been recorded to as I am using this as a dvr it has got a client server built in

3) I want to stream to android over local lan with in the home network and not over Internet

I hope this is more than enough information for you but if I have missed anything out please do let me know and I am this time waiting patiently not matter even if it takes weeks on end

Many thanks

(2012-10-14, 23:28)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I have been in all forums. Been searching for one hour

(2012-10-16, 22:59)Xbmcokay Wrote: [ -> ]... i have been searching for the last week ...

Right....

Quote: So it's a bit unfair to assume that I haven't bothered to read the wiki manuals or searched the forums or worded my question right Im not that good at knowing what information you needed like make and model etc

We're not good at guessing what questions you have. Your opening topic only lists one of the three questions you have.
Make and model would be really good info. So far, all we know is that you have an Android phone (brand/model/rooted?) and a Humax DVR (model, can you access the recordings using an ftp client?) satellite receiver. Even when asked, you fail to come up with the info...

Use of a good topic title will also help to attract the right audience. "XBMC sharing", I thought this topic was about sharing XBMC between different people. "How to share media from my Android phone to XBMC?" would have been a better subject for you opening topic.

Some use of interpunction would also make your posts easier to read and will make it more likely that people will respond.

Quote:1) II don't want to share the whole contents of my phone just the

movies
and if possible photos and music
the phone is connected by wifi on the same network

You want to share stuff which is on your phone, so you want your phone to serve this. Your phone needs to become the server. Check out what protocols XBMC supports in the File sharing section of the wiki. Find an app for your phone that supports serving your media using a protocol that XBMC supports (upnp would be my first guess).

Quote:2)humax dvr which is connect by LAN also there's a wifi option too as far as I am aware there is no restrictions as the satellite recording reside on a personal hd recorder which the satellite recording have been recorded to as I am using this as a dvr it has got a client server built in

Make and model would have been good info. Also, is it running custom firmware (some providers sell these boxes with their own firmware/limitations)? I know that some Humax cable receivers are accessible via FTP. If yours is too (check the Humax manual), then you in XBMC add a source using the FTP protocol. How to set this up is written in the wiki here.

A UPnP/DLNA would be the best route to go for the phone. I don't know of any specific app names, but there should be some that are able to send at least videos and music, possibly photos too, via DLNA. In XBMC you'll wan to enable the UPnP abilities by going to Settings/Network/Services (wiki) and enable "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP". The Android app should then automatically find XBMC and allow you to play to it without having to do anything else on XBMC.

UPnP can also be used in XBMC the other way, to stream content to your Android phone. In XBMC only videos that are loaded in the library will show up in XBMC's UPnP server, and XBMC won't transcode video formats, but there's a good chance you won't need to transcode for your Android video player (I hear MX Player and Dice Player are good, but I don't know if they can read UPnP shares). You can enable the UPnP server in XBMC in the same place as the above client option, but for the option called "Share video and music libraries through UPnP".
(2012-10-19, 17:04)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]A UPnP/DLNA would be the best route to go for the phone. I don't know of any specific app names, but there should be some that are able to send at least videos and music, possibly photos too, via DLNA. In XBMC you'll wan to enable the UPnP abilities by going to Settings/Network/Services (wiki) and enable "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP". The Android app should then automatically find XBMC and allow you to play to it without having to do anything else on XBMC.

UPnP can also be used in XBMC the other way, to stream content to your Android phone. In XBMC only videos that are loaded in the library will show up in XBMC's UPnP server, and XBMC won't transcode video formats, but there's a good chance you won't need to transcode for your Android video player (I hear MX Player and Dice Player are good, but I don't know if they can read UPnP shares). You can enable the UPnP server in XBMC in the same place as the above client option, but for the option called "Share video and music libraries through UPnP".

thankyou ned scott im looking up these things right now thankyou and thanks leechguy

I will be back with more info about the humax in the following weeks to come just need all the specs and I'm reading the manual so lots of reading and research for me hopefullyl to see if it supports ftp or dnla or upnp then I will be back on here with the right info
thankyou guys