Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy/Stuttering playback of MPEG2/VOB files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's clear, we all have to become like Gimli, and make our own bleeding edge builds to fix this stuttering issue

why bother coming in and saying "I don't have your problem, but I don't have your software"

I don't have a problem with stuttering anything ... on my quad core pentium with stupid to the power of two nvidia display cards ... but how helpful is that in this thread? about as helpful as gimli's bleeding head
Think before you speak. The fact that he doesn't have the issue with a different build is likely information that will lead to a fix, that most likely will be a fix done by Gimli himself. He's the leading developer on the R-Pi platform, so I would trust that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to if something is relevant to a thread or not.

Or you could just assume things and make yourself look like an ass (and get yourself banned again).
I agree, perhaps Gimli did not see the issue because it has been fixed already, or because his build uses code that has not been released yet. I hope eventually the isse will be fixed, one way or the other.

Anyway, I am still curious why Gimli doesn't see the stuttering while it is clearly visible even in the latest Openelec builds (such as r12220 and r12224).

Maybe someone else can check this sample file (http://www.sendspace.com/file/dz9ozg) with a new Openelec release? Just to confirm I am not the only one where the video stutters?

Thanks!
I can see the stuttering issue on this (and other) files.
There's a problem with the timestamps being passed to GPU.
Gimli has suggested a patch which does fix these files.
Just needs testing to check it doesn't make any other files worse.
(Looks okay so far...)
Ok, nice, it sounds very promising Smile

Thanks for clearing this up!
Hi all, I've just registered to add my support and say that I have the same issue.

I was quite surprised initially when I saw the stuttering, I thought network or source media was bad. I tried playing locally and have actually just tried the same steps at the original poster before finding this forum. My test source was the movie Limitless, its particularly bad.

It sounds like the issue is known with the mentioned of the frame time stamp. Fantastic Smile looking forward to the fix.

On a small side note, when bringing up the on screen display information (press 'o' when viewing a movie) the cache buffer size is always 0. I didn't expect this, is it not cacheing all? I've read different things but when I saw this it was initial thought as the cause of the problem - later I realised it was perfectly repeatable on the same scenes etc when a cache issue would be more temperamental.

Sorry for the long post. I can also upload some a short clip that will display the issue if that's help full.

Cheers
Today I tried Openelec r12283 and the stuttering is completely gone and videos play perfectly smooth now Smile

It seems the fix you've implemented works excellent!

Thanks a lot guys, very nice work !
Thanks for fixing this guys.

Thanks kire1980 for starting this thread - i thought i was the only one there for a while Tongue

I tried the latest nightly build last night - perfect! Points to the people who worked on this, thanks very much. Appreciated.
(2012-10-28, 20:56)kire1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Today I tried Openelec r12283 and the stuttering is completely gone and videos play perfectly smooth now Smile

It seems the fix you've implemented works excellent!

Thanks a lot guys, very nice work !

Found this thread via a google search because I'm having this issue with r12577 (devel-20121124031454-r12577)

seems like the bug has perhaps resurfaced? I have tried playing around the the video playback settings, to no avail. I have two Pis running the same version of OpenELEC and both are exhibiting this issue on MPEG-2 videos. It plays 1080P blu-ray rips (via NFS shares on my media server) very smoothly. Hopefully the fix for the MPEG-2 framerate issue is an easy one.
devel-20121124031454-r12577 sound quite old (7 weeks?). Lots has changed. Can you install a recent nightly?
e.g. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1295421
(2013-01-13, 19:33)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]devel-20121124031454-r12577 sound quite old (7 weeks?). Lots has changed. Can you install a recent nightly?
e.g. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1295421

Yeah I'm new to the Raspberry Pi and I got some link from the xbmc.org site for OpenELEC which pointed me to this directory (http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/), so I grabbed the latest rpi build that was listed there.

Following my post from earlier today, I found and tried out 2.99.1 (3.0 RC1) and that one seems fine on this issue. I was just coming back here to post an update on it.

Recently, I've stumbled across a number of videos that exhibit some kind of stutter again (VOB/MPG2 files).

The stuttering does not disappear when changing XBMC video settings (i.e. adjust playback rate to display or other options frame rate/sync related options).

A sample of such a file can be found here (26MB / 35sec video) : http://www.sendspace.com/file/b069vq.

Sometimes when playing there are also dropouts in the audio.

I've tried Openelec 3.0.6 and 3.1.7. Stuttering is identical with both versions.

Any ideas?
@kire1980
The file you have posted has regular timestamps, except for glitches at 8.342s, 16.65s and another at 25.025s. That's when I see the video stutters.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3669...tamps.xlsx
Ok, thanks for looking into.

Can those glitches then maybe the cause for the stuttering? Or causing something in XMBC to relaod or reset during processing? (I don't have a clue what to look for...)

If I play the file on my PC (using VLC or any other player), there is no stuttering visible. Also on a standalone DVD-player there is no stutter.
Small update:

converting DVD MPEG2 (iso or video_ts) to MKV using MakeMKV solves the stuttering problems. There is no transcoding done in MKV, only the container is changed so it just takes a few minutes.

Problem solved!
Pages: 1 2