Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: advancedsettings and me beeing stupid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

All I'm trying to do is to enable lanczos3 optimized as scaling method on my 720p movies since it have been disabled from beeing selectable in Frodo from the GUI on OSX.

Setup: Latest nighly build, OSX 10.8.2, MBP Retina

Firstly I know I have to create the file myself, problem is that I can't find the correct place to put it in.

This simply dosn't exists on my machine.
//
Mac OS X: /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/
//

I have:
Root/Library/ (create Application Support/XBMC/userdata/ my self ??) <- dosn't work as seen in xbmc log

under root/users/my name/ I dont have any library folder.

Secondly, this is all that has to be in the file?

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Regards
Henric
/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/ is the correct directory.

Are you really logged in using root account and running XBMC from it? I would think that since root's home directory is /var/root the appdata directory will not get created under /Users/username etc. So use a regular user account instead.

And post the full debug log in the future.
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I found the correct place after awhile. Must have been sleepy or something yesterday when I didn't find it.

Sorry, didn't think of posting a log since the question didn't required it.

XBMC now recognize the advancesettings file at least but there seem to be some sort of error (probably me not typing in the correct code, see above).

17:25:41 T:140735177990528 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
17:25:41 T:140735177990528 ERROR: Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, no <advancedsettings> node

Any thoughts?

And yes, as soon as I get paste bin to work I can post a full log, I'll update the post one it's done.

Regrads
hmmm, make sure your advancedsettings.xml file is a plain text file and not rich text. In TextEdit you can go to the Format menu and select "Make plain text" and then save it again.
thanks, that helped (I think), now I get this instead:

18:12:43 T:140735177990528 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
18:12:43 T:140735177990528 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

When it all works, I will be able to select lanczos3 as scaling method instead of bilinear and auto etc in the video-selection right?

Regards
SOLVED!

Thanks for the help, I found the library eventually. It turned out that there was a change in ML from Lion that made this folder invisible.

After converting rich text to plain text xbmc picks up the file.

However, no new settings on scaling method shows up Sad It turns out I a couple of months a go raised the very same question. According to Davilla when using VDA these software rendering methods dosn't apply. So all in all, the whole exercise was moot, but I now find the library Smile

Regards
You still should have it available on software decoding (SD content) i guess.
@Memphiz, that would be my guess too.

However, most of my videos is HD content, 720p mkvs. Since my computer have the horsepower to do everything, my goal is to maximize picture quality, and I can't seem to find a solution that match VLC, let alone MadVR.

I have read through the wiki a couple of times, but it's a bit confusing since all the options dosn't apply to all platforms it seems, and if you enable say VDA, you loose other options. Or maybe it's just me that isn't experienced enough.

I'm happy with xbmc though, expect for the scrambled annoying line I descibed in my other post here at the forum, if you could make that go away, I would be very happy.

Regards