Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please advise which OSX to use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am really sorry if this has been answerred before, but my search didn't find the answers I am looking for,

Bought a Mac Mini to "solve" all my issue with my previous HTPC setup, but instead got a lot less money and a lot more issues in return. Sad

I am running XBMC Eden (also tried nightlies and Frodo), with OSX10.8.2, I hate the fact that I can't turn the machine on using my remote. My sytem randomly refuses to sleep, and XBMC keeps crashing at randmon and at different stages.

So I am considering downgrading to OSX 10.6, would this be a smart move, besides the remote issue which is a big plus, would I possibly benefit from this or? Or should I just keep 10.8.2 and try to pinpoint the issues I am facing, perhaps with the help of this forum.
For HTPC usage, XBMC doesn't require anything that 10.8 provides. XBMC requires at least 10.6, and 10.6 currently has the least amount of headaches for various Macs and issues.

So yeah, if I were you I would downgrade for now to 10.6 and then keep an eye out on the forums to see if 10.8 ever improves.
Wow you are quick, thanks Ned!

I'll start the dowgrade process them, not looking forward to it Wink but hopefully it will be worth it.
Damn, I wasn't exactly looking forward to installing Snow Leopard, but expected it would be possible in a normal way, but it isn't..... well unless your willing to have 2 different MacOS10.6 version custom make them into one, or another similair mac system connecting it via firewire, man really. I am totally fed with this Mac Mini worst investment ever!

Sorry posting this, thats not what this forum is for, but I needed to get it out of my system.

Not blaming XBMC in any way, actually that is that only thing so far that has improved my Mac Mini experience compared to other software or the damn machine itself!

I'll keep a close eye on the forum and on v12 see how things are evolving...
What year is the Mac Mini and what issues were you having with it on 10.8 (besides the remote wake/power issue)?
2011 2.3GHz 4GB 500GB.

- HDMI handshaking, bought a Dr HDMI to solve it, but didn't resolve it completely.
- Audio issues change from DTS to stereo or vice versa, solved in the nightly but these introduce huge stability issues for me
- Mac is unreliable in going to sleep, actually XBMC improved it, but I still can't rely on it
- This is happing just right now, I am running Frodo now, switch on my TV see XBMC, doesn't respond to the remote, I'll wait a while, screen goes blue. I just don't know anymore, handshaking? crash? crashing xbmc, crashing os?
Ned, and possible others,

For the time being, don't put any time in this topic anymore, I am switching to Windows 7, on the Mac Mini, and see how this will behave.
Hope it'll work for you! Please post your opinion on win7 instead of Mac osX (regarding XBMC) Wink
There's actually a number of users on the forums who run Windows on Mac Minis (and some on Linux too) that really like that setup.

Not sure what's up with Apple and these issues, since the Mac Mini is so often used as a media center computer. Especially the remote not being able to wake a sleeping Mac!
Thanks guys!

Besides the initial shame of "going back to Windows" it is really going well so far, but really just to soon to tell.

I will definitely post my experience with Windows 7.
Well got an update sooner as expected, Windows 7 was working pretty well, but after installing all Windows updates and SP1 the system wouldn't wake after sleep anymore....

So had enough of the Windows experience, I reinstalled OS10.8.2 from scratch and leave everything completely original, everything default, no firewall, fresh XBMC Eden no nightly. Turned on some music, turn off the TV, give my son some food, come back, turn the TV on, tadaaa blue screen. I don't expect its due to the TV that was turned off but due to the screen that is turned off by the default Apple energy settings.

But anyway, I gave up now, I really give up, hardly had any sleep the last week, only trail on error, doing this and that on this damn machine. Conclusion, the Mac Mini is !@$!@$&^!@*$&@! as a HTPC solution unless you are willing the make a lot of concessions.

I made a decision now: I will manually power on and off the system on use, my current 500 euro Mac Mini and 90 euro Dr HDMI are at least not making me a couch potato because I will need to do a lot of walking and squating down to do this.
Sorry to hear win7 didn't work for you, especially after all the effort you've put in itSad
- think you need some rest, and have to let it be for a while, sometimes we just have to accept "we've run into a blind end", and after a while you'll be back with renewed strength.
Smile
Thanks for your kind words! And you are very right, I will step back for a while.
Did you read the "sleep" thread in here, Mac OSX support?
(2012-10-18, 19:54)mll777 Wrote: [ -> ]2011 2.3GHz 4GB 500GB.

- HDMI handshaking, bought a Dr HDMI to solve it, but didn't resolve it completely.
- Audio issues change from DTS to stereo or vice versa, solved in the nightly but these introduce huge stability issues for me
- Mac is unreliable in going to sleep, actually XBMC improved it, but I still can't rely on it
- This is happing just right now, I am running Frodo now, switch on my TV see XBMC, doesn't respond to the remote, I'll wait a while, screen goes blue. I just don't know anymore, handshaking? crash? crashing xbmc, crashing os?

Same model I'm using, I really haven't had many problems. I'm running a newer nightly.

With regards to audio. I'm using optical.. it's been flawless. Video always works and starts up just fine.
With sleep... I never sleep.. it's an everything server.

I'm running 10.7.2 server
Pages: 1 2