Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Let Me Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After getting burned by Boxee Box, I decided to build an HTPC and switch back to XBMC so I picked up a Z77 mATX motherboard, an SSD, an i-3, and an HTPC case. I installed XBMCubuntu on a thumb drive and waited for the parts the arrive. They came in the middle of the week so I put everything together and fired up the thumb drive.

Now, I had planned to spend a nice, relaxing weekend squashing bugs, fighting to get hardware acceleration working with the integrated GPU, editing configuration files by hand, and many frustrating hours of no sound over the HDMI interface. Much to my disappointment, XBMC fired up on the first boot and it took one, tiny edit (plughw0,3) to get sound over HDMI working. Oh, and the IR remote that came with the case worked out-of-the-box.

Now I have a fully functional XMBCubuntu HTCP that gives better sound and--I swear--a sharper picture than Boxee Box and is about 10 times faster. Automatic subtitle fetching works, it integrates with traktv, plays nice with the other XMBC machine in the house, and sleep/wake works perfectly. And the whole thing took about an hour to build, install, and configure.

For shame, XBMC developers, I expect less than this from an open source project, particularly running on top of Linux. I demand that you fork a bug-ridden, difficult-to-configure XMBCubuntu build that takes weeks of hair-pulling and frustrated web searches to get working. When people come over I want to struggle with my HTPC, making excuses for why the remote isn't working or why there is no sound all of a sudden! I want the library to randomly delete all of my TV shows. I miss the good ol' days! At this rate I won't have anything to complain about on message boards, and that is unacceptable! Tongue
HAHAHAHA, best post I've read in a long while.
You may want to install one of the nightlies to see if it solves your problem of too much stability. Wink
See! These are the issues we were trying to fix at devcon. We can't have users actually USING XBMC! Then they'll stop thinking about XBMC and just watch movies or something. Totally unacceptable! Smile
Please accept our sincere apologies for Blush
Like said please try on of the latest nightlies if that solves it. Else you could always go back to Boxee...
In all seriousness, I have been using XBMC since it required an Xbox and Eden just blows my mind, especially the XBMCubuntu ISO which really streamlines the process of putting together an HTPC that doesn't feel like a PC. Keep up the good work!
(2012-10-19, 07:39)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to install one of the nightlies to see if it solves your problem of too much stability. Wink

Nah you guys blow it there too! I have my main install running a git frodo that I update every night....and it continues to work every day. Tongue
(2012-10-19, 07:39)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to install one of the nightlies to see if it solves your problem of too much stability. Wink

Unfortunately not. I've actually been using the OpenELEC Frodo builds for some time (they just became official!) and they pretty much Just Work ™ on my secondary (anime-watching) HTPC.

However, as a suggestion to the OP - replace your motherboard with an nForce one and install any version of OpenELEC later than Dharma. You'll quickly notice the difference - in particular freezes either during the boot sequence or shortly after loading XBMC. (I really need to upgrade my main HTPC, but so long as it doesn't break and doesn't need features present in later releases I'll keep putting it off ...).
Hold on.. Hold on.. Did Davilla LAUGH?? What's this world coming to? I Mean, he's not as solemn as SOME XBMC devs though I won't mention anyone in particular *cough* spiff *cough* (though he does have his particular charms Smile )

Good job Brock! Smile

P.S. Keep up the good work XBMC Devs!