Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding subtitle shorthands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi there,

i want to play a movie called movie.avi and it has a subtitle movie.dutch.srt -or- movie.nederlands.srt. now xbmc finds and shows the subtitle but cannot identify the dutch or nederlands part of the subtitle and just displays the subtitle as "1" in the subtitle selection menu.

if the subtitle is named movie.nl.srt it does recognise the nl part and nicely displays nederlands in the subtitle selection part. now, this would be so bad, if it were not so that i have a number of subtitles already burned on cd's and they all have .nederlands.srt or .english.srt in the filenames. so i would like xbmc to recognise the type of language for them.

so i started looking at the different files and noticed a iso639-1.xml file in the mplayer directory. it contains al the shorthands for language files, including the nl part. so i just tried to add the following line:

<code><short>nederlands</short><long>nederlands</long></code>

it looks logical, but from the fact that i am posting this thing, it can be concluded that it does not work.

so my question is whether why this cannot be done this way (is the nl part limited to only 2 characters or is there something else i missed?

thanks,

bas
i think i recall it being limited to 3 letters max... dont quote me though.
you can test it by just renaming a test sub to ned, nede, neder etc.. and see which ones work
i think i recall it being limited to 3 letters max... dont quote me though.
you can test it by just renaming a test sub to ned, nede, neder etc.. and see which ones work