Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playback issues with 1080i50, 1080p50 on Brazos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have a Brazos config (Asrock E350M1, 4GB DDR3) with Lubuntu 12.04 with the latest 12.9 AMD drivers.
When I playback 1080i50 or 1080p50 contents, the playback is stuttering, even the Auto framerate function is on. The frequency remains 60Hz...
With other files the "Adjust Refreshrate to match video" option is working.
When is switch the Sync Playback to Display to On, all video files are stuttering (mkvs, etc too).
I tried the xbmc-xvba and the latest xbmc-xvba-testing too.

My test files are:
1080i50 (recorded from DVB-S2 broadcast),1080p50 (recorded with a Sony HX9V camera):
link

What is the problem?
For the 1080p50:
50p is currently the upper maximum AMD fusion can do, the DecodeFunction needs 22ms on average - so you should get approx 46 fps max - I don't know if there can anything be done about it. Btw. this is also the case on Microsoft Windows - I think the UVD Implementation is not that powerful.

@1080i50:
This should be working fine. Please post an xbmc.log with debugging turned on. Make sure that you run fullscreen (System -> Video Hardware). Without the fullscreen checked, the refresh rate cannot change.

Ah - and it is ofc that it is stuttering, when syncing 50p is synced to 60hz.

E350 is not capable of playing 1080p50. It is maxed out at approx 45fps.

EDIT: fritsch was faster Smile
I tested your files

AMD E450:
1080p50 is working fine without framedrops
1080i50 is also working fine without issues.
Also Refreshrate switching worked fine

AMD E350:
1080p50 I get 47fps on average and dropping a bit
1080i50 Working perfectly fine

My test system currently uses Ubuntu Quantal with the quantal fglrx driver which is one month newer than the beta driver.

Could you also pastebin the output of /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-randr?

(2012-10-20, 09:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]For the 1080p50:
50p is currently the upper maximum AMD fusion can do, the DecodeFunction needs 22ms on average - so you should get approx 46 fps max - I don't know if there can anything be done about it. Btw. this is also the case on Microsoft Windows - I think the UVD Implementation is not that powerful.

@1080i50:
This should be working fine. Please post an xbmc.log with debugging turned on. Make sure that you run fullscreen (System -> Video Hardware). Without the fullscreen checked, the refresh rate cannot change.

Ah - and it is ofc that it is stuttering, when syncing 50p is synced to 60hz.

Thank you, this is the log file:
link
You play this at 30Hz, can't play smooth. Looks like you don't have a 50hz mode. Please enable debugging in advanced settings so we can see available modes.
(2012-10-20, 10:07)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]You play this at 30Hz, can't play smooth. Looks like you don't have a 50hz mode. Please enable debugging in advanced settings so we can see available modes.

My TV (Philips HD Ready LCD) is working on 50Hz and 60Hz too.
Where to enable the advanced debugging mode in the xbmc menu?
Sorry, next time I can try tomorrow night.

Thanks!
@djnice:
I looked through your advancedsettings.xml. You have a strange sync value for 24p in there (-250ms) and a positive value for all those other. Can you explain this? Only Passthrough for 24p and therefore a totally different delay?

I think youre TV only has one refresh rate and gets detected totally wrong. For the options of the advancedsettings.xml see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...oglevel.3E

Btw. you can login via ssh (choose same user that is running xbmc) and issue: DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr this will also show the modes.

For your case, set it to:
(2012-10-20, 09:40)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]I tested your files

AMD E450:
1080p50 is working fine without framedrops
1080i50 is also working fine without issues.
Also Refreshrate switching worked fine

AMD E350:
1080p50 I get 47fps on average and dropping a bit
1080i50 Working perfectly fine

My test system currently uses Ubuntu Quantal with the quantal fglrx driver which is one month newer than the beta driver.

Could you also pastebin the output of /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-randr?

My /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-randr output is:
link

My advancedsettings.xml file is from this guide.

The file is: link
@djnice:
Yeah it is a bit difficult: Your TV does not have a 24p resolution. So perfect playback won't be possible. Therefore you should disable Adjust RefreshRate to match video and also disable Sync Playback to Display.

I would force the display to 25hz as this should make your interlaced sample work in a halfway good way (System -> Video Hardware: choose 1920x1080 with 25hz). If you are at it, make sure that you are using Vertical Blank Sync: Always enabled.

To playback the 50p sample, this advice is a bit odd - you could use the 720p resolution for this one - i am not sure. you should use another resolution for this, that can do 50hz - but your display only has a non 16:9 resolution for this.
@fritsch:
In the xbmc menu I can change the resolution only. The refresh rate not in the menu.

I would like to play 1080i50 content on 1920x1080 25 Hz, and 720p or 1080p mkvs on 1920x1080 30 Hz.
It's possible?
@djnice:
Ah - now I see. 30hz is the only progressive resolution your TV has. That kind of sucks :-)
If you switch to 720p do you get more refresh rates? Switch to 720p, wait a bit - accept this settings and look at the hz.
(2012-10-21, 19:18)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@djnice:
Ah - now I see. 30hz is the only progressive resolution your TV has. That kind of sucks :-)
If you switch to 720p do you get more refresh rates? Switch to 720p, wait a bit - accept this settings and look at the hz.

When I follow this automated scriptl, the refresh rate is still on the xbmc menu (1920x1080, 25 Hz, 30 Hz), but when I install Lubuntu 12.04 + 12.9 Quantal drivers + xbmc-pvr-testing, the resolution switching is still on the menu, but refresh rate option is disappeared.
The 1920x1080i 25 Hz / 30 Hz mode would be enough for me.
I have an 1920x1080p 25 fps mkv video (progressive content). This mkv is playing fine, the auto refresh rate function is change my tv resolution to 1920x1080i 25 Hz.
I need this mode for 50i contents.
@djnice: the automated script also uses this ppa:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-testing

So and xvba version (I would not suggest testing, as it is likely to break)

try to run amdcccle and see if you can unlock more modes - no other idea though.
Pages: 1 2