Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Running two different instances of XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to have two different installations of XBMC on the same windows PC? I'd like to set it up so that my daughter can only access her movies, yet we can see all of them. I know we can switch between profiles, but that is a little complicated for everyone else here. Can it be done? Two different shortcuts for two different libraries?
You can run it in portable mode so you just create two XBMC install and run it with -p added to the shortcut. This will save all userdata (wiki) in that specific install and keep everything separate.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...table_mode
If I did that, how would it address the issue of including unwanted media files when I did an "update library" operation? It would use the same media file directory, so it would see them all. One workaround I could try, but would be some work, would be to move all of her movies to one folder. I would do a library cleanup, then add that new folder source. Then do an "update library" including the new folder, so we would have them all. I would then want to do the second installation, a complete installation using a different installation destination folder. The initial set up of that would be the inclusion of only her folder. That will be some work, as I will have to go in and check/update all the thumbnails, fan art.

I'm willing to do all of this if I can, indeed, have two installations of the XBMC software.
Attempting the second install on my test machine now...simply adding her name to the installation folder and start menu folder.
I guess an easy workaround would be a fast access to quickly switch between profiles. Can that be added to the shortcuts on the main screen?