Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does XBMC support file shortcuts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are looking at breaking up our library based on what each user watches. Some of my users watch the same content, so I'd like to place shortcuts to the media instead of duplicating the large files.

C:/Users/John/Movies/
C:/Users/John/Movies/Terminator/Terminator.avi
C:/Users/John/Movies/Halloween/Halloween.avi
C:/Users/John/TV Shows/
C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Doctor Who/01x01.avi
C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Doctor Who/01x02.avi
C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Torchwood/01x01.avi
C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Torchwood/01x02.avi

C:/Users/Mary/Movies/
C:/Users/Mary/Movies/Shortcut to C:/Users/John/Movies/Terminator/
C:/Users/Mary/Movies/The Thing/The Thing.avi
C:/Users/Mary/TV Shows/
C:/Users/Mary/TV Shows/Shortcut C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Doctor Who/
C:/Users/Mary/TV Shows/Shortcut to C:/Users/John/TV Shows/Torchwood/

Does XBMC support this? If not, is there another way that I can do this?
Looks like you're using "Files" view instead of Library?

I think it would be simpler to scan your movies and TV shows into the library (if you're not already doing so) and then use Smart_playlists (wiki) for each family member to filter the desired movies and TV shows. As new show episodes become available, they should get picked up automatically for whoever has that TV series in their playlist. For movies, however, unless you're filtering them by genre, rating or some other general criterion, you're going to have to add each new movie manually to the desired playlist(s).
Shortcuts in Windows are not transparent to applications - they need to understand the shortcut to access the original data, and depending on the location may not be able to access it (e.g. if you're accessing the shortcut via a network share). There are a couple of ways to do what you want - they operate on the file system level and require NTFS.

To use these capabilities the easiest way is to install the Link Shell Extension. Note: if you are running Windows 64-bit also install the "Windows 32 for 64bit version" which allows the overlays to work in "Save As" dialogs from 32-bit applications.

1. Use Junctions for entire directories. This is essentially a "directory shortcut" which makes it appear as if the directory is in multiple places in a way that is transparent to the application.

Junctions require Windows 2000 or later.

Junctions can work across different partitions e.g. you can have a junction on your C: drive redirecting to a directory on your D: drive.

Junctions work whether accessed via a network share or locally.

Some backup tools do not work properly if there is a junction in the data being backed up (IIRC the built-in Windows backup has problems).

2. Use Hardlinks for individual files. This essentially says "this single file exists in these multiple locations on the disk".

Hardlinks require Windows 2000 or later.

Hardlinks only work within a single partition - you cannot have a hardlink on your C: drive to a file on your D: drive.

Hardlinks work whether accessed via a network share or locally.

3. (Local only) Use symbolic links for either directories or files. Symbolic links are "shortcuts" that are transparent to applications.

Symbolic links require Windows Vista or later (or Windows XP if you're willing to install a filter driver).

Symbolic links can be to either files or directories, and can cross partitions - you can have a symbolic link on your C: drive to an individual file on your D: drive (or a directory).

Symbolic links do not always work when accessed via a network share, and so you should use Junctions or Hardlinks if you are going to be accessing the files this way. Some symbolic links may work if they are created using a relative path and the entire relative path is within the network share.
(2012-10-29, 23:44)magao Wrote: [ -> ]Shortcuts in Windows are not transparent to applications - they need to understand the shortcut to access the original data, and depending on the location may not be able to access it (e.g. if you're accessing the shortcut via a network share). There are a couple of ways to do what you want - they operate on the file system level and require NTFS.

To use these capabilities the easiest way is to install the Link Shell Extension. Note: if you are running Windows 64-bit also install the "Windows 32 for 64bit version" which allows the overlays to work in "Save As" dialogs from 32-bit applications.
Thanks!

This is basically what I was looking for.

(2012-10-29, 22:42)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like you're using "Files" view instead of Library?

I think it would be simpler to scan your movies and TV shows into the library (if you're not already doing so) and then use Smart_playlists (wiki) for each family member to filter the desired movies and TV shows. As new show episodes become available, they should get picked up automatically for whoever has that TV series in their playlist. For movies, however, unless you're filtering them by genre, rating or some other general criterion, you're going to have to add each new movie manually to the desired playlist(s).

My files are updated automatically, so I'm trying to find a way to have one filesystem that can be updated into multiple libraries.

I took a look at Smart Playlists, but it doesn't seem to do what I want.

Magao has a solution that should work. I'll be implementing it very soon.
You can make to different accounts in xbmc, then you just add what you want in to the accounts. And add the lib watch dog addon.