Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC LCDproc Python addon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Hi nst.

This is a small thing Blush

When I use your XBMC.lcdproc addon 2.3.0 and remove anything between the "<screensaver></screensaver>" in LCD.xml, the the Big Clock is showing up on screensaver.
On the 2.2.1, the LCD is emty, as I want.

When my screensaver is active, I want my backlight turned off, and no text in the LCD display.

On 2.3.0, the backlight is turning fine off, but I can see the Big Clock.

This is just to save my LCD, not burning pixels, as my Pi allways is on.

Best regards.
(2013-06-17, 13:51)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]@herrnst - ask for test equipment (pi, HD44780 - whatever else makes sense) in the internal forums. Foundation will pay those for you ... (or talk to jmarshall if you see him on irc).
Thanks, will think about it and get back to the team. Guess a HD44780 would be a really good idea for testing, regardless of possible RPi issues.

(2013-06-18, 10:29)delinend Wrote: [ -> ]When I use your XBMC.lcdproc addon 2.3.0 and remove anything between the "<screensaver></screensaver>" in LCD.xml, the the Big Clock is showing up on screensaver.
Thanks for reporting. This was caused by the latest commit causing LCD.xml being "only" an override for the defaults file, and applying overrides was quite strict regarding error checking Smile (the whole purpose of this is the possibility to add new modes like the tvshow mode being added lately, and not cause failing configurations for users not updating their configuration Wink )

Latest GIT master relaxes things a bit, and your mentioned case will work again. Feel free to re-download the ZIP. Oh, and of course, more (bug) reports and so on are very much appreciated! Smile

Regards,
nst
(2013-06-18, 20:40)herrnst Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-17, 13:51)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]@herrnst - ask for test equipment (pi, HD44780 - whatever else makes sense) in the internal forums. Foundation will pay those for you ... (or talk to jmarshall if you see him on irc).
Thanks, will think about it and get back to the team. Guess a HD44780 would be a really good idea for testing, regardless of possible RPi issues.

(2013-06-18, 10:29)delinend Wrote: [ -> ]When I use your XBMC.lcdproc addon 2.3.0 and remove anything between the "<screensaver></screensaver>" in LCD.xml, the the Big Clock is showing up on screensaver.
Thanks for reporting. This was caused by the latest commit causing LCD.xml being "only" an override for the defaults file, and applying overrides was quite strict regarding error checking Smile (the whole purpose of this is the possibility to add new modes like the tvshow mode being added lately, and not cause failing configurations for users not updating their configuration Wink )

Latest GIT master relaxes things a bit, and your mentioned case will work again. Feel free to re-download the ZIP. Oh, and of course, more (bug) reports and so on are very much appreciated! Smile

Regards,
nst

Thanks nst.

The new GIT - zip XBMC-lcdproc addon 2.3.0 works fine. No, Big Clock on screensaver.. Blush
Thanks for all your Work.

Regarding LCD hd44780 display.. I have made 6 displays and bye them at RS. This one, is a nice LCD display, with great letter hight. Blue backround LED light and White text. Verry clear text..
You can get them, from about 10€ for a 20x2.

http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/lcd-displa...4E4F4E4526

And case I use:
http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/gefahrstof...4E4F4E4526[

Best regards.
First, thanks for your work. Smile
I have a small issue with the screensaver clock. It display the time correctly until the minute change.
So for example when the screensaver is triggered it will show 4:20 fine, but soon as 4:21 come up the hour numbers are just gibberish.
Same behaviour with the XBMC build-in LCD function, USB/TTL and even on a PC.
The backlight control is not working either.
My guess is that there is something non-standard with the LCD and I will need to try to fix that my self ? Smile

The LCD (HD44780) is this one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9396 (using a level shifter)

xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36284

(2013-07-12, 10:55)Xphazer Wrote: [ -> ]First, thanks for your work. Smile
I have a small issue with the screensaver clock. It display the time correctly until the minute change.
So for example when the screensaver is triggered it will show 4:20 fine, but soon as 4:21 come up the hour numbers are just gibberish.
Same behaviour with the XBMC build-in LCD function, USB/TTL and even on a PC.
If this also happens with Eden's or Frodo's internal LCDproc support (using "has LCD/VFD" and of course with the addon disabled), that's probably an issue with LCDproc pushing custom chars to the display ("has LCD/VFD" and the addon use different approaches in displaying the big numbers, with "has LCD/VFD" pushing special chars to LCDproc and the addon defining "native" widgets to achieve this). If this also happens on non-RPi hardware, it's not the fault of the rather new RPi-GPIO connector module.

(2013-07-12, 10:55)Xphazer Wrote: [ -> ]The backlight control is not working either.
Did this work before, with "has LCD/VFD"? Doesn't this work at all or only when suspending the system?

Regards,
nst
hi. I have a quick question. I feel that this should be an easy option, I have a 20x2 lcd display that uses the lis drivers (its a lcd module for nmediapc case (nmediapc is the actual brand)

anyways i was just wondering, the lcd.xml and pretty much all of xbmc expects a 20x4 lcd. so in say Music I only have two usable lines. Is there a way to make it alternate between lines1.2 and 3.4 scrolling them once in between or something? i've seen this on lcds on random electronics so i would think its possible. Is there a stupid easy settimg i'm missing or am i not crazy and its just not a feature at this time
(2013-12-07, 16:39)Hack_kid Wrote: [ -> ]anyways i was just wondering, the lcd.xml and pretty much all of xbmc expects a 20x4 lcd. so in say Music I only have two usable lines. Is there a way to make it alternate between lines1.2 and 3.4 scrolling them once in between or something? i've seen this on lcds on random electronics so i would think its possible. Is there a stupid easy settimg i'm missing or am i not crazy and its just not a feature at this time

No, that's not possible ATM, but sounds like a nice idea for a new feature - taking note Smile

nst
Never knew there was a thread for this add on, lol. First off I want to say thanks a ton, I've been using this add on for several months.

One issue I'm having is that the backlight doesn't always turn off on suspend, sometimes it turns off and stays off fine, and others it stays on, with text froze and sometimes it turns off for a split second and then lights back up with text froze. FWIW, whenever I restart or shutdown, it turns off the backlight until right before the boot screen for the mobo pops up.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks again for all your hard work,
Erik

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using unmodified openelec 3.2.4 install, with "Enable LCD/VFD" unchecked in the Video output menu, and lcd driver is set to imonlcd under the openelec settings.
(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Never knew there was a thread for this add on, lol. First off I want to say thanks a ton, I've been using this add on for several months.
Thanks, glad to know this stuff is useful for others :-)

(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]One issue I'm having is that the backlight doesn't always turn off on suspend, sometimes it turns off and stays off fine, and others it stays on, with text froze and sometimes it turns off for a split second and then lights back up with text froze. FWIW, whenever I restart or shutdown, it turns off the backlight until right before the boot screen for the mobo pops up.
Hmm. The frozen text doesn't match what's actually in the script - when the backlight is turned off, line updates are still being sent to LCDproc (compared to the old core code, where a flag was triggered which resulted in the contents not being pushed anymore until you woke it up again). Can you track this down to anything specific happening in XBMC (by itself or by interacting with it) that causes this (read: is this reproducable) ?

Also, you might turn on debug logging and then keep an eye on your xbmc.log for messages regarding backlight control from the script. You should see "Switch Backlight to: 0" when lights go off, and "Switch Backlight to: 1" when it turns on again. If the effect occurs and you don't see a "turn off" quickly followed by a "turn on", I suspect some problem within lcdproc itself or another client also dealing with the display (that case could be tracked down further by looking at the traffic going from/to LCDd with e.g. ngrep'ing the loopback device on TCP port 13666). If you however see "off" quickly followed by "on", there's some misbehaviour in the addon that should be fixed - any hints on steps to reproduce would be of very much help then Smile

(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using unmodified openelec 3.2.4 install, with "Enable LCD/VFD" unchecked in the Video output menu, and lcd driver is set to imonlcd under the openelec settings.
I suppose you installed the addon via the repository (official XBMC.org addon repo that is, and not some third-party repo) and running 2.3.2?

Regards,
nst
(2013-12-11, 10:11)herrnst Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Never knew there was a thread for this add on, lol. First off I want to say thanks a ton, I've been using this add on for several months.
Thanks, glad to know this stuff is useful for others :-)

(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]One issue I'm having is that the backlight doesn't always turn off on suspend, sometimes it turns off and stays off fine, and others it stays on, with text froze and sometimes it turns off for a split second and then lights back up with text froze. FWIW, whenever I restart or shutdown, it turns off the backlight until right before the boot screen for the mobo pops up.
Hmm. The frozen text doesn't match what's actually in the script - when the backlight is turned off, line updates are still being sent to LCDproc (compared to the old core code, where a flag was triggered which resulted in the contents not being pushed anymore until you woke it up again). Can you track this down to anything specific happening in XBMC (by itself or by interacting with it) that causes this (read: is this reproducable) ?

Also, you might turn on debug logging and then keep an eye on your xbmc.log for messages regarding backlight control from the script. You should see "Switch Backlight to: 0" when lights go off, and "Switch Backlight to: 1" when it turns on again. If the effect occurs and you don't see a "turn off" quickly followed by a "turn on", I suspect some problem within lcdproc itself or another client also dealing with the display (that case could be tracked down further by looking at the traffic going from/to LCDd with e.g. ngrep'ing the loopback device on TCP port 13666). If you however see "off" quickly followed by "on", there's some misbehaviour in the addon that should be fixed - any hints on steps to reproduce would be of very much help then Smile

(2013-12-11, 02:37)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm using unmodified openelec 3.2.4 install, with "Enable LCD/VFD" unchecked in the Video output menu, and lcd driver is set to imonlcd under the openelec settings.
I suppose you installed the addon via the repository (official XBMC.org addon repo that is, and not some third-party repo) and running 2.3.2?

Regards,
nst

Thanks for the prompt response, I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to check the forum until today. I've tried using the stock 3.0.6 install, and the 3.2.4 install, both had the same result. I'm installing the addon via the addon manager inside xbmc (not 100% sure which version that is, but I assume it's the newest). As far as getting logs, I'll be pretty busy, but I'm off monday and tuesday, so hopefully I can get to it then.

Thanks for your time,
Erik
(2013-12-13, 19:16)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the prompt response, I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to check the forum until today. I've tried using the stock 3.0.6 install, and the 3.2.4 install, both had the same result. I'm installing the addon via the addon manager inside xbmc (not 100% sure which version that is, but I assume it's the newest). As far as getting logs, I'll be pretty busy, but I'm off monday and tuesday, so hopefully I can get to it then.
As you're still on Frodo, when creating logs, please also check if the problem also happens if you switch "Enable LCD/VFD" to on (thus using the old internal LCDproc support), with the addon disabled for that time, of course.

nst
(2013-12-13, 23:18)herrnst Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-13, 19:16)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the prompt response, I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to check the forum until today. I've tried using the stock 3.0.6 install, and the 3.2.4 install, both had the same result. I'm installing the addon via the addon manager inside xbmc (not 100% sure which version that is, but I assume it's the newest). As far as getting logs, I'll be pretty busy, but I'm off monday and tuesday, so hopefully I can get to it then.
As you're still on Frodo, when creating logs, please also check if the problem also happens if you switch "Enable LCD/VFD" to on (thus using the old internal LCDproc support), with the addon disabled for that time, of course.

nst

I had a little time to dig into it, here are the logs, I don't see many references to the backlight in the logs, ideas? Regardless, here is what I observed and the logs from each time.

Log 1 = Enabled plugin, used LCD unchecked in system settings, LCD/VFD Driver = imonlcd in openelec settings, backlight stayed on with text froze all 3 times I restarted.

Log 2 = Enabled plugin, used LCD checked in system settings, LCD/VFD Driver = imonlcd in openelec settings, first time backlight stayed on and upon resume flashed off and on, second time it stayed on entirely, third time it worked as it should.

Log 3 = Disabled plugin, used LCD checked in system settings, LCD/VFD Driver = imonlcd in openelec settings, blacklight turned off as it should all 3 times I restarted.

Here is a link to the logs, if there is something else I can help troubleshoot, let me know.

Thanks
Erik
(2013-12-16, 21:44)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]I had a little time to dig into it, here are the logs, I don't see many references to the backlight in the logs, ideas? Regardless, here is what I observed and the logs from each time.

Log 1 = Enabled plugin, used LCD unchecked in system settings, LCD/VFD Driver = imonlcd in openelec settings, backlight stayed on with text froze all 3 times I restarted.

Errrr - do I assume correct that you're trying to suspend/resume the box, and not "dim display on video/audio playback" ?
Yes, I'm hitting the power button on the remote, and the power option is set to suspend.

-Erik
(2013-12-16, 22:18)burritoboy9984 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I'm hitting the power button on the remote, and the power option is set to suspend.
Alright, that makes it clear. This doesn't work ATM (in Frodo, that is). You need to work around this with something like this, although I'm not sure how this can be done in OpenELEC.

Regards,
nst
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24