Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: moving from win7+xbmc to xbmcbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I've had win 7 and xbmc on my bedroom system for sometime, yeah it works and all but it's kinda sluggy when accessing videos on my home network. My guest room has ubuntu AND xbmc (not xbmcbuntu) and it has no problems with speed what so ever when it comes to accessing and playing. Both have 4 gb ram (not doing much else other then videos and in the guestroom basic web browsing etc) wifi as well as 2.8ghz processors, and the ubuntu has a ASUS 8400GS while the win7 has a ati 4350 HD. Except for the OS and video they are nearly identical. For my bedroom with just video and the occasional emulator play I don't need it to have windows 7.

So I download xbmcbuntu and give it a whirl, with it going to a black screen after basic loading and then well nothing it stays blank. I tried out my Live Ubuntu 12.04 and it worked well enough.

It's a dell gx620 sff with 4 gb ram and 80gb HD, dvd drive wifi (linksys pci card which I know after proper drivers are installed works but that shouldn't affect startup right?) and an ati radeon 4350 hd card. I chose that as it had HDMI and untill I built my living room system, had run everything just fine, and figured it would work great in the bedroom. Just want it to be quicker and I know xbmcbuntu will have a huge difference over win7 for those specs and needs.

Any ideas on if the video card is the hangup?
OK good news:

All hardware is working from wifi to video, ended up installing ubuntu 12.04 and going from there, video playback is awesome and no lagging.

Bad news.

Samba to access media on external drive in living room.

I can't for the life of me get it to access via samba.

If I go to nautilis I can connect to windows server, and see that I"m able to access etc no problems. So no network issues. Just Samba.

I've tried multiple reinstalls of samba, samba gui tools etc. Any Samba guys out there?
Edit your samba.conf file and create the shares.. restart samba and away you go.
well heres something:

xbmc@xbmc-bedroom:~$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.108
WARNING: The "password level" option is deprecated
Unknown parameter encountered: "update encrypted"
Ignoring unknown parameter "update encrypted"
WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
Enter xbmc's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

if it returned anything I should be able to:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=xbmc //192.168.1.108/f /mnt/media

but I can't get to that step. as for editing samba.conf I looked in there for creating a share, but not quite sure how to add a network drive, I know it's got a password on it as well.
Can you access the share from a Windows machine? Have you tried XBMC built-in Samba client (could be that its only available in Frodo)?
What I ended up doing was taking password requirement off on the samba server side. after that win 7 (my laptop and living room system) as well as bedroom which has ubuntu CAN access and write etc. Just Vista being a pain in the office. But hey I got what needed to be done working.

As for the password, I figure it's an internal network that I've blocked access to on the router end from outside the internal network so it should be fine, it only hosts media to begin with.