Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Universal Search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Roku has just introduced a feature that can search inside all it's built in apps and I'm really jealous! I know that there is universal search on XBMC for local media, but my use of XBMC is almost entirely via streaming Adonis ( Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime). Each of these add ons have of course integrated their own search, and that is working as you would expect. There are several services that I use, such as canistream.it or Fanhatten, that are currently working quite well for me, but a built in XBMC universal solution would be amazing.

So basically I would like to search all my video Addons, and then be able to launch the service right to the show or movie that I have found.

Is this already available and maybe I haven't discovered it yet?
Is this something that could be developed as an Addon itself?
Would something like this require the XBMC team to build in natively?

Am I alone in wanting something like this? Is it coming??

Thanks for all your thoughts/input.
Were you able to find an addon that performs a global search (like roku search)?

I remember my favorite browser/search was on my directTV satellite receiver. Very nice interface with categories (comedy, action, sci-fi, ...).

I wish there was a similar way of searching through all those kodi video streaming channels I have added. It feels like a very tedious job to try to find something to watch by opening each menu, going up and down in the folders, clicking on something, waiting a few seconds for it to start and realizing it's not what you thought it was.
Not sure about a universal search inside add-on streams, but I've heard discussions regarding Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki) you might want to investigate here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192662 looking at the iSearch option
Searching within addon streams content isn't possible.

The closest you get is Add-on:Global Search (wiki).

By the way are you going for a necro-post record? That's two five year old threads you've posted this request in now?
(2017-07-12, 15:50)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]By the way are you going for a necro-post record? That's two five year old threads you've posted this request in now?

Not really (although I used to play a necromancer at diablo2... he he). I was looking for the equivalent of a 'roku search' in the forum and those two posts looked related. Since those two posters were looking for the same thing as me, I thought they might have found a solution after so many years.
(2017-07-12, 15:42)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure about a universal search inside add-on streams, but I've heard discussions regarding Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki) you might want to investigate here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192662 looking at the iSearch option

Thanks, I will have a look.

Although it may take a while since I am quite lost with how to setup kodi right now. I tried to get a live tv guide through an xml but 'tv guide' still shows 'no program'. I can't seem to enable a PVR even though I enabled/configured a few of them, I still see the message that there is none. I am also clueless on how to add a playlist of all tv channels for 'iptv simple pvr', not sure where I could get a list.

So still a lot of learning to do... I see some good guides on youtube but they only point to 'banned' stuff and I want to be 100% legal by using only the kodi approved addon.
You're looking in the wrong places, the wiki's (links at the top of the page) will guide you unerringly. Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide (wiki) and Configuring live TV settings (wiki).

Along with this list of alternative guides and the forums, links in the wiki.

-)How-To-Geek's guide on how-to Watch and Record Live TV with Kodi and NextPVR
-)Alphr - How to set up a Kodi PVR on Windows
-)MakeUseOf guide on how to Watch Live Broadcast TV Using Kodi and NextPVR
-)Kinkeadtech tutorial: Kodi Live TV with EPG (TV Guide)
-)Lifehacker's excellent Live TV guide for XBMC v12
-)Montgomery One's PVR guide

Not to mention https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167 which I hope you've found. Try not to get frustrated, be patient and in the end, you'll have something special and will know how to customise and tweak to your needs.