Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: hdmi cec help plz!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello to all, I am a long time xbmc user and quite a happy camper I can say, thank you for your time and effort!!!

I recently got a new tv what supports hdmi cec (bravia) but I cant get xbmc and bravia to connect via cec.
in xbmc I goto system>settings>input and I try to select peripherals but its disabled and unselectable.
on my bravia I start scan for compatible dev but it doesnt find xbmc. what gives?

connection is done through hdmi cable and htpc is a Shuttle XS35 (V3 I think since it has HDMI and the previous versions didnt) and I tried both under ubuntu 12.03 running xbmc eden and under OpenELEC 2.

How can I enable the peripherals option? If i have understood correctly I dont need the Pulse-Eight adapter since both devises are supposed to be CEC enabled.

Appreciate any answers!
HDMI port != cec support, besides, the cec support in xbmc is for the pulse8 device only,

If your shuttle did support cec you wont need this in xbmc has the signal would be sent and recognized and operate as expected. (this is how understand it. Perhaps someone who knows more can clarify further.

EDIT: I doubt having looked about that your Shuttle XS35 (V3) has no information that it supports CEC on the HDMI, and I doubt it actually does support it. its quite common for HDMI ports in low end machines not to support full features of HDMI specs and its respective revisions.

uNi
but CEC it also works with rasberryPi without the pulse8 adapter...... just straight HDMI connection between rasberryPi xbmc and tv.
(2012-11-01, 18:26)xhaos Wrote: [ -> ]but CEC it also works with rasberryPi without the pulse8 adapter...... just straight HDMI connection between rasberryPi xbmc and tv.

because that is designed with cec integrated.

if it doesn't say so explicitly in the pvr specs you need to buy the CEC adapter to get it to work
(2012-11-01, 18:26)xhaos Wrote: [ -> ]but CEC it also works with rasberryPi without the pulse8 adapter...... just straight HDMI connection between rasberryPi xbmc and tv.

Rpi uses a full HDMI spec, rare but hey it uses it, your shuttle probably does not.

uNi

Full HDMI spec != mandatory CEC. CEC is an added feature to the HDMI set which vendors can choose to implement if they want. Most vendors do have it, but call it some other trademarked name, e.g. "Bravia Link" for Sony equipment. HDMI spec states that CEC must be allowed, but it does not have to be implemented to meet spec. The RPi added CEC to their HDMI featureset. The OP is, most likely, going to need the Pulse8 adapter to make CEC work.

A word of warning to the OP. I have the Pulse8 adapter and I hooked it up between my AppleTV (1st gen) running Crystalbuntu and my 32" Bravia. With the adapter enabled, the TV always defaulted to the AppleTV's HDMI input when I turned it on. This is most likely because the ATV is not ACPI capable and therefore cannot be turned off, but I just wanted to let you know, it's not without its own set of quirks.
Thank you all for your time! Much apresiated.

I thought CEC was part of mandatory specs for HDMI. I guess I will be ordering the adapter pretty soon.
Like I said in my first post, HDMI port does not equal all features HDMI itself has several revisions and features, that are not like pumkinut says mandatory, in fact most HDMI in doesn't support quite a few features many machines with integrated video cards are left short, Heres some reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Nothing is mandatory its all "optional", more features more money it costs you and me when manufactures release minor revisions of same crap.

uNi
I have the same problem trying to get HDMI-CEC to work with an Xtreamer Ultra 2. Please, does anybody know if this supports CEC or do I also need the Pulse8 adapter? Many thanks.
CEC support in XBMC is only available on the CEC Adapter or on Raspberry PI. This is just because the libcec we use only supports these 2 hw implementations as of now. Its that easy Wink
but wait.....CEC is an established and open communication protocol. the same message will pass through the hdmi cable regardless of the device it originates from (just like TCP, you don't care what NIC you have, you just know they communicate with each other). So far my understanding was that some VGA dont listen for the CEC messages and Rasb listens for them and CEC adapter hijacks these messages and feeds them through USB to compensate for "deaf" VGAs.

But Memphiz post implies that its the libcec library that cant listen to other cec messages. Can someone clarify please?

Just on one case its a problem of nvidia and ati and intel for not including cec in their specifications and in the other case its a case of pulse8 developing a library only for their product. the second option leaves room for the open community to develop a universal library.
You need hardware that can generate the CEC communications. Video cards do not do this. You need to use either the Raspberry Pi, or the Pulse CEC adapter as was pointed out before. Libcec supports the protocol and works with XBMC to "talk" CEC, but your hardware does matter.
the TV listens to the remote control and repeats the message to the CEC channel. Raspberry Pi, or the Pulse8 listen for the CEC messages while other VGAs are deaf.
At least this is how it seems.....
IF your Video card doesn't have CEC (its deaf and dumb to all signals form any other CEC devices) it wont matter and EVEN if your VIDEO card has CEC the xbmc libcec is according to what Memphiz explained (a pulse8 developer IIRC)

The source code for libcec is available and you/or anyone that wants/has the skills to, can add support to anything that DOES have actually CEC

Again most Video Cards DO NOT have CEC. Your machine very likely DOES not have CEC.

uNi

Thank you, Memphiz. Are there any plans for the libcec to support the Ulta 2 hardware, do you know?
Pages: 1 2