Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First time Win7 install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is my first time I have installed XBMC , moving from MCE7 I was expecting great things but it's not a good start.
I ran the win installer but it has not created any program groups or shortcuts.
Now how do I fix this.
XBMC.exe can be found in computer/c:/program files (x86)......you can easily create a shortcut....
(2012-11-04, 17:13)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC.exe can be found in computer/c:/program files (x86)......you can easily create a shortcut....
Thanks. But I thought the installer would be more polished than that.
I wish there was a decent TV tuner support in XBMC then it would be the ultimate media center, but nothing comes close to MCE7. How hard is it to achieve with BDA drivers?
Something went very wrong with your install if no shortcut, etc was created.

As for your PVR question, you are asking the wrong question. XBMC's approach is to provide a unified front end for PVR services. This functionality is in alpha (in the main branch) after a long period of testing.

To use it you need to use one of any number of backends - NextPVR, TVHeadend, MediaPortal, etc. That's the piece that interfaces with your tuners, capture cards, etc.

There are quite a few posts on this in the dedicated PVR section. You should start reading in there.
(2012-11-05, 15:11)ixian Wrote: [ -> ]Something went very wrong with your install if no shortcut, etc was created.

As for your PVR question, you are asking the wrong question. XBMC's approach is to provide a unified front end for PVR services. This functionality is in alpha (in the main branch) after a long period of testing.

To use it you need to use one of any number of backends - NextPVR, TVHeadend, MediaPortal, etc. That's the piece that interfaces with your tuners, capture cards, etc.

There are quite a few posts on this in the dedicated PVR section. You should start reading in there.
Why does XBMC take this approach? using backends that are media centres in their own right.
This approach seems like bloatware and probably adds to the unresponsiveness.
Is it too difficult to write a lightweight live tv addon using BDA drivers?
(2012-11-05, 11:50)anibeasts Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-04, 17:13)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC.exe can be found in computer/c:/program files (x86)......you can easily create a shortcut....
Thanks. But I thought the installer would be more polished than that.
If the shortcut is not created, you can easily create one yourself. It shouldn't be an issue......

(2012-11-05, 11:50)anibeasts Wrote: [ -> ]I wish there was a decent TV tuner support in XBMC then it would be the ultimate media center, but nothing comes close to MCE7. How hard is it to achieve with BDA drivers?
Check out my post #751.....

(2012-11-05, 16:05)anibeasts Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-05, 15:11)ixian Wrote: [ -> ]Something went very wrong with your install if no shortcut, etc was created.

Why does XBMC take this approach? using backends that are media centres in their own right.
This approach seems like bloatware and probably adds to the unresponsiveness.
Is it too difficult to write a lightweight live tv addon using BDA drivers?

Difficult? Well, it isn't easy, but more to the point, it's free, volunteer work, and the approach XBMC has taken is one directed (more or less) by the community as a whole. You can't please everyone, of course, but it's open source, so if you really want it...write it Smile

As for the "bloated" part of using "other" media centers, you're wrong. MythTV, MediaPortal and For The Record (Argus), for example, can be installed with just their TV Server backends - no front end needed. NextPVR and TVHeadend offer hybrid approaches. I don't know, what do you expect? A TV server is far more than some lightweight program that interfaces with (Windows) BDA drivers - from that remark, which you've made twice now, I gather you believe that the BDA drivers, as written have already done the hard work. Nope! There's a lot more to it, and a lot of existing projects that already do it, so the XBMC team focused on building the best front end for media and left the back end server work to any program people want it to integrate with. In my opinion, it's a better approach, though like all approaches it has it's shortcomings.
(2012-11-05, 20:33)ixian Wrote: [ -> ]A TV server is far more than some lightweight program that interfaces with (Windows) BDA drivers - from that remark, which you've made twice now, I gather you believe that the BDA drivers, as written have already done the hard work.
No I don't. But most tuner cards support the BDA drivers making it easier to write the TV tuner app/addon that will support most TV tuner cards.
Having a TV Server has its advantages but having a local app integrated will allow for faster channel switching for those who run XBMC and tv tuners on the same physical machine.
You should bring this debate over to the PVR forum then, if you feel so strongly about it. That's where the devs who work on it hang out, usually.

I suspect they will correct you on several points, starting with your belief that a "native" XBMC back end will somehow lead to faster channel switching, but that's for you to find out.
OK. back to my original problem. Install of XBMC
I ran the installer, it looked like it was progressing and came up to the finish button and run XBMC check box. I clicked finish.
Now there's no program group in start menu, no uninstall in Programs and features list.
Where do I find the install log so I can check where it failed?
I got more information now.
Because I am running my HTPC from a non administrative account. the program group and shortcut has been created for the administrative account only. How do I allow it to install for all user accounts? I don't like running it from the admin account.