Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Switching from UBuntu to Win7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to XBMC, and have a problem with something.

First off, I'm currently running XBMCBuntu on a Asus EEEBox and it sort of works perfectly at the moment, but I need to switch to the Windows version, because I also need to run some other software on the EEEBox, which unfortunately can only be used under Win7.

My second problem, which is probably the biggest headache is my Internet Bandwidth. I have a very slow Internet Connection, with a small 10Gb Cap for the month, Now my DB is fairly huge with over 500 Movies and close to 1TB of shows, that have been updated with banners and info from the net, now I have installed a second PC with XBMC to test the Backup/Restore feature in XBMC, but that doesn't seem to work really like it should, because the new Win PC still wants to connect and update the DB, which is going to chew up my Cap in no time.

Is there a way I can do this switch successfully?

You should also know that all my movies and shows is shared across the LAN from a WinXP PC which is sort of my Media Server, so that my neighbour can also access this collection on his PS3

Any help will be appreciated

Christo
i'm not 100% sure due to differences in linux v windows on links, but on your test PC, try copying over the userdata folder from your ubuntu and see how it fairs. Things like addons etc may be path specific but the chances are your database will be the same, alongside the same thumbs, fanart etc which would obviously save you bandwith. Worth a try anyway.
(2012-11-04, 21:38)danz0l Wrote: [ -> ]i'm not 100% sure due to differences in linux v windows on links, but on your test PC, try copying over the userdata folder from your ubuntu and see how it fairs. Things like addons etc may be path specific but the chances are your database will be the same, alongside the same thumbs, fanart etc which would obviously save you bandwith. Worth a try anyway.
Thanks, where can I find the Userdata folder in XBMC Buntu?
Can you not export your library into single files - so you'd end up exporting thumbs, fanart, .nfo files, etc. - and then, when you import it into a second machine (or re-built one), it'd default to this information instead of downloading anew, yes?
(2012-11-04, 23:49)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Can you not export your library into single files - so you'd end up exporting thumbs, fanart, .nfo files, etc. - and then, when you import it into a second machine (or re-built one), it'd default to this information instead of downloading anew, yes?

That was my initial though too, but when i use the Backup Add-On in XBMC, and use the restore function on my WINpc, the lib still wants to connect to dl info. I've made the gateway 0.0.0.0 in my IP Settings so that I wont' loose my cap unknowingly...
(2012-11-04, 23:14)stormbul Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-04, 21:38)danz0l Wrote: [ -> ]i'm not 100% sure due to differences in linux v windows on links, but on your test PC, try copying over the userdata folder from your ubuntu and see how it fairs. Things like addons etc may be path specific but the chances are your database will be the same, alongside the same thumbs, fanart etc which would obviously save you bandwith. Worth a try anyway.
Thanks, where can I find the Userdata folder in XBMC Buntu?

usually /home/.xbmc/

(2012-11-05, 07:32)stormbul Wrote: [ -> ]Can you not export your library into single files ...

I was thinking of the in-built XBMC - System Settings -> Video -> Export Library, I think. That creates individual files alongside the media files that include .nfo, fanart, banners, actors, etc. When you then scan that source from a new XBMC installation, it should find those media instead of going to the internet (indeed, you could disconnect yourself to make sure)... XBMC may come back with a "local information found, do you want to ignore and refresh from the internet?" message, but you can always say "no" to that one.
The other thing to disable is import actors thumbs on scrape and if you have nfo, poster and fanart in each directory that should stop most of the scraping issues you'd encounter.