Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding to an existing source?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so the very first time I tried to upload movies I had to "add source" or select the location in which I told xbmc to find my movies folder. That all worked out and I correctly added 16 movies to the media center w/o any problems...now I am trying to add to that existing location (I downloaded new movies and placed them in the same "Movies" folder as the existing movies that xbmc already has) problem is...when I goto Videos>FilesI now have folders named: Movies (contains all 15 movies I first uploaded) and Movies 2 (contains all the 15 movies from first upload plus the new movies)...and when I go to "Movies" as if I want to watch a movie, there are duplicates of the first 15 and the new movies I added have one copy as they should.

Here is what I did when I wanted to add new movies. I went to Videos>Files>Add Videos...I then selected the source where all of my movies are contained (F:\Torrent Downloads\Movies\) and went through the normal process..I selected the "Each movie is in its own folder" option or w/e .... so basically it just re-downloaded the entire source and now has two separate files for it (Movies, my first time adding the source, and Movies 2 when I attempted to add the new movies). I thought it automatically detects what it has already uploaded etc....what did I do wrong and how can I fix this?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. I basically uploaded the same source twice thinking it wouldnt add duplicate movies since it already has them loaded, but it did.
Edit: I have since removed the "Movies" (my very first time uploading) folder, and deleted all content from library and then renamed the "Movies 2" folder to "Movies" ... but next time I add movies (most likely very soon) I don't want to have to go through this process again of adding the entire library, having duplicates, and then deleting the old folder
As long as in the settings for that source, you have it set to recursive, you should be able to just add new movies(preferably in their own subfolder) under F:\Torrent Downloads\Movies\ and update your library. There is no need to add additional sources each time you add new movies.
Okay so walk me through it real quick..lets say I just downloaded a new movie. What should I go to? Videos> ??

Also...i dont think I selected "recursive" what exactly does that mean
For updating the library with new videos see: Video library/Updating or removing videos (wiki)

Recursive is if you have movies within folders, like lets say you have

Movies/
-----movie1.mkv
-----movie2.mkv
-----Western movies/
----------movie1.mkv
----------movie2.mkv

it will grab movies on all levels of the folders.
You really should have a folder per movie though right? Isn't that the most ideal organization?
Movies/
---Movie1/
------movie1.mkv
---Movie2/
------movie2.mkv
------Subs/
---------movie2-en.sub
---Movie3/
------movie3.mkv

And your Source is just the Movies/ folder, set as type Movies
It only really matters if you have extra files for your movies, like additional artwork or external sub files, etc. I keep all my movies in one folder and haven't had any issues.