Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV 2 + External HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I have learned how to setup XBMC on my AppleTV2 through this forum, but I'm having some issues connecting to my External HDD. I have a Time Capsule with a Seagate 2TB External HDD connected to it. I'm unable to figure out how to access the HDD from XBMC on my AppleTV2. The drive is set to File Sharing and can access from any laptop, iOS device, etc. I have seen some other threads related to Samba (SMB), but can't seem to figure things out. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I can tell you how it works for me:-

Airport Utility - Disks Tab
1) Set your TC so that the disk is shared (Enable File Sharing)
2) Secure Shared disk with password (set disk password and remember password in keychain box checked)
Airport Utility - Internet tab
3) set a static IP address e.g. 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0
4) set your router IP e.g 192.168.1.1 and DNS (probably the same)

On your Router
1) Set the TC the same static IP address e.g. 192.168.1.2

In XBMC you need to Add a Video Source

1) In the "Files" Menu from Home screen either click on "Add Videos" or hold the "menu" button on the ATV remote and select "Add Source"
2) I found that Zeroconf Browser while finding the external hdd connected to TM won't actually work so got to step 3
3) In the "Add Video Source" Window click in the box which probably says <None>
4) Use the ATV Remote (painfully slow but what can you do?) and the soft-keyboard to create the path to the external hdd shares something like this "smb://192.168.1.2/externalhddname/sharename
5) Repeat step 4 for every share you want to link to a video source in xvmc

Worked for me. good luck...
Thanks @Logan, but I'm still having some issues. When I got into System Preferences -> Sharing, I have "File Sharing" checked, and when I go to add a source, I can't see my external hard drive from this view. Any thoughts as to why this may be?
I'm not sure why you expect to "see" your hdd. Have you tried step 3 and 4 in the above?
should popup in the zeroconf folder if at all...
Sorry @Logan, but I think I'm missing something with step 3, 4 and 1 for the setting up TC section. Here's what I did...

Disks Tab
1) Both Partitions (one for TC and the other for ExHDD) have "Enable File Sharing" checked, Secure Shared Disks = "With a disk password", passwords entered, and "Remember this password in my keychain"
Internet Tab
1) Set Connect Using = "Static"
2) IPv4 Address = 98.239.178.155
3) Subnet Mask = 255.255.240
4) Router Address = 98.239.178.1
5) I'm not sure what to put in for DNS, IPv6 Servers, or how to set the TC Static IP

I assume these are the trouble steps I'm having and I appreciate the help thus far from an obvious newbie. Thanks!
Hi - I tried a few different router IP / DNS combinations and typed through the full path name on my AppleTV at least 4 different times...Any thoughts?

My path name is "CC Home Drive/Movies/..." - all my burned DVD's are located in this folder.
Can you choose a path without spaces in it maybe?
maybe change your TC to use DHCP just to keep things simple for now in the "Internet Tab". Then note the IP address of your TC that the DHCP Server gives you.

Also you will need to add username and password for your path smb://username:diskpassword@IPaddressOfTC/NameOfAirDiskVolume/Directory/

If you are using the latest Frodo beta 1 release I found that entering the path manually no longer seems to work...I had to go the the "network Location" option in the "Add Sources" and complete the fields there