Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: library for nightly outdated and lack of thumbnail caching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I ave xbmc on my mac mini (2010). The version of xbmc i'm using is from GIT march 22 2012. Thats what it syas in the system info dialogue.

I once in a while upgrade to a nightly if i see a feature i like, so i've done this before eden aswell. recently i tried loading a nightly from oct 1st 2012. Had a few issues: First for some reason my library reverted to a state form a few months ago. secondly, going into tv shows and movies didn't load any of the covers by default. As in i would just see blank covers with that folder icon and wait a few seconds for them to load. if i scrolled dwon, csame thing. sometimes they covers wouldn't load at all, sometimes very slowly. if i scrolled back to a section i'd already browsed, again covers werent there and i'd have to wait a bit.

I figured this was a bug in the nightly and tried to get a nightly from a few days ago. same thing. figured its an issue that will be fixed and i didn't want to bother anymore. Reverted back to the old xbmc from march 2012 and suddenly i got my up to date library back, and my covers scrolled normally!

I just now tried the nightly from the october cycle (most recent blog post). And exactly same thing: mY library seems to be at the point where i'd updated my library with the previous oct 1 nightly ( i think - its definitely more up to date than the preious nightly, but still outdated by a few weeks).
Also the cover scroll issue is still there where my covers load very slowly and then dont seem to be cached.

I'm starting to think its now my setup rather than xbmc. Is someone else having this issue? Any idea waht could be casuing it and how to fix?
Regarding the out of date library, this is because each time you update, there's likely a new version of the library, so XBMC will take your old one and update it.

Now, when you roll back, you go seamlessly back to the older library. As you get more media, you add to that older versioned library, and now the older versioned library has more media in it than the newer versioned library.

Each time you try a new version, it'll update the newest available database version, which will be the version from when you first updated ages ago.
(2012-11-10, 11:03)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the out of date library, this is because each time you update, there's likely a new version of the library, so XBMC will take your old one and update it.

Now, when you roll back, you go seamlessly back to the older library. As you get more media, you add to that older versioned library, and now the older versioned library has more media in it than the newer versioned library.

Each time you try a new version, it'll update the newest available database version, which will be the version from when you first updated ages ago.

Ok thnks that makes sense. And any idea on the slow loading of posters and thumbnailss and seeming inability to cavhe thumbnails.
It all depends on what you mean by "slow". In some cases it is slower, in that if you move right to the end of a really long list, it'll take a second or two for those thumbs to load.

Depending on which version you have, you may have been prompted to update all art. If you do so when prompted, then all your current art is re-cached there and then, so there's no issues with that.
hi sorry to revisit this but my issue still persists.

1-in regards to how the library gets updated, i jsut remembered that prior to eden, whenever i would upgrade to a new nightly, my library would automatically upgrade. was this something changed in eden?

2- lack of thumnails. I just upgraded to frodo beta 1, and i still have issues. in my movies and tv shows list only a handful of items have posters/banners and the rest are empty. my tv show list basically shows no thumnails for my shows, even though all my episode info seems to be there and i do have background fanart.

heres a log for a crash that happened on exit. not sure if this only captures the crash, or the whole session.

http://codetidy.com/4035/

p.s. i just created a separate thread befroe this just for the crash. i apologize for the double post.
anyone? i've tried everything i can think of but issue persists. tried a bunch of different nightlies and the beta again but no luck.
I know that Frodo handles posters differently than in Eden (but haven't understood exactly what are the difference)

some weeks ago, I tried a nightly build and had the same problems as you.
Fortunately, before that I made a security export.
I went back to Eden (still am), and imported the back up.

For now I read too much threads with problem of databases not showing the posters/fanarts in Frodo to make the jump

Did you try to go back to Eden version? If yes can it read your library (which have been updated by Frodo cince then I guess)?
If Eden brings back your posters, try to export the library (in 1 file, and in multiple files). And then to import it in Frodo
?
Hi yes i went back to eden and suddenly my full upmto date library is back.for some reason it seems like xbmc is maintaining two libraries. One for eden, and one for the nightly/frodo beta. If i go to frodo i get thelinrary from the last timei updated on frodo. If i delete the frodo xbmc app and go bacm to eden, suddenly my library is where i left it off with eden. So ifor example if i change a poster in frodo and then go back to eden, i see the old eden poster.

Its very weird and i cant pinpoint the issue. Like i said, ive been using xbmc for 4 years now, and have very often used nightlies and never came across this issue of two libraries, or out of date libraries, or not showing posters.

The problem with the export and import function is that while it might export the library, it wont export the video sources thmselves (the list). I actualy tried this before in order to replicate my xbmc lobrary on a guest login. And it didnt work out too well ultimatly i had to delete the library and rescan on guest login.

Ive looked in xbmc xbmc mac forum and cant find any threads on other people with sme issueas mine! So i thought i was the only one. Thanksfor clarifying im not. Ill have a deeper look at the forum and see who else has my issue and if theres a suggested fix.

Ive been out kf the scene a bit, so from whatyou know is this a known problem and are they working on a fix? Seems to be a pretty serious issue to not have been fixed over the past 2 months (missing posters and library issues).
You just updated at a bad time is all. Just delete all your MyVideos*.db files OTHER than MyVideos60.db (that is Eden). In addition, delete Textures*.db OTHER than Textures6.db (again, Eden).

Then update to Frodo b1 (b2 will be out in a couple days) and follow the prompts.
(2012-12-02, 01:00)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]You just updated at a bad time is all. Just delete all your MyVideos*.db files OTHER than MyVideos60.db (that is Eden). In addition, delete Textures*.db OTHER than Textures6.db (again, Eden).

Then update to Frodo b1 (b2 will be out in a couple days) and follow the prompts.

thanks! i'm halfway to fixing this then. did as you directed...upon restard xbmc asked me if i wanted to reload my thumbart i sid yes. it scanned for 5 minutes and loaded a whole bunch of stuff. now the problem is a lot of my media (id say almost a third) shows up without proper posters for movies. so the data is ther,e but instead of the poster that should be there it shows the random screenshot from the movie as if its not scraped.
tried your procedure twice but same issue.

for my tv shows, while i saw in the progress bar that it scanned throguh my tv show artwork for update, right now NONE of my tv shows have their banners. if i go into the show the season thumbs seem fine though and episode info is all there. just that none of my tv shows show any banners.

is this a problem with beta 1 thats expected to be fixed in beta 2 soon? or should i go through the steps of manually fixing my posterart again if beta 2 will give me same issues.

thanks and sorry to be a bother in this very busy cycle in the development of xbmc im sure. its jsut that without xbmc my mac mini and whole media centre really is useless.
Try using a nightly build (wiki) with the same instructions that jmarshall gave you. Nightly builds right now are beta1+ bug fixes leading to the next beta, and some fixes that went in might fix this issue too.
nmirza, it seems you are now my rat laboratory ;-)

When you'll have manage to have your Eden library fully working with Frodo, I will make the jump!

For now, with my 3000+ movies library perfectly set after weeks of tweakings, it's too risky for me to play with unfinished nightlies.
In french we have this expression "The better is sometimes the enemy of good", I've had to much bad experiences with betas, not only with xbmc (argH, the first beta of OSX in march 2000 made me lost all my datas!), that I am not so trustful with unfinished versions. I prefer to watch other users try betas, read the feedbacks/bugs, THEN only update this.

So thanks nmirza for your future feedbacks concerning this point ;-) Good luck!

PS. Could you precise what skin/version you are using please? Compatibility with Frodo depends also with skins and their plugins integration (I'm Using AeonNox)
I guess you mean laboratory rat Smile

So i have some good news to report (well 90% good).

I just did the procedure j marshall suggested, but with the dec 1st nightly as suggested by ned scott. Ad happy to report it worked fir the most part. Heres some results so you can see if it worth for you to make the jump. And maybe for the devs to make note if indeed these are bugs.

- i backed up my database directory (in library, app support, xbmc, userdata) with all files first. Then deleted the files as suggested by jmarshall. This way if something goes wrong you can just recopy all files back.

- upon updating i started up and went into movies. When i did that it asked me if i wanted to update my artwork (no internet required it just transfers database i guess).

- i said ok to this. Took about 5 minutes to scan my 600ish movies and about 100 tv series.

- when i went into movies after this was done, most of my artwork was there. One thing i noticed that any movies that had previously not found any cover art since there wasnt any in the scraper site defaulted to the cover art which is just a frame from a movie. i had set these earlier manually by pointing xbmc to a specific jpg in my movie directory. So xbmc defaulted back.

- While my movie posters are mostly there, if i press info on a movie, the popup info box is supposed to have the poster on the left side, and details on the right. In this view though the poster isnt there for more than half of my media (id say closer to 80%) and a random screencap of video shows up in this space. even if i change the poster the same thing still shows up even though the poster changes in the main list.

- i am not near my computer so im not sure if any coverart i had changed manually from one online file to another was also effected. (ok my manual coverart seems to be there)

- tv shows: i previously used wide banner for tv shows. If i now select wide banner view thr thumbnails show up fine. But if i choose another view with a different aspect ratio for art (poster vs banner) nothing shows up.

- i previously used rapier skin. Upon launch of this new version it said rapier is reported as broken and disabked it. So i had to use confluence but thats fine because its actually veryery nice now.

Conclusion: so far everything is great. I have to set a few posters again but thats fine. Id rather make the transition now and fix the issues rather than face them all later. Atleast now i know how to keep my database backed up thanks to jmarshall and ned.

Quote:One thing i noticed that any movies that had previously not found any cover art since there wasnt any in the scraper site defaulted to the cover art which is just a frame from a movie. i had set these earlier manually by pointing xbmc to a specific jpg in my movie directory. So xbmc defaulted back.

Yeah - the reason for this is that there was no information in Eden as to where art came from. Thus, if there's no URL to associate the art to, even if the cached art exists, we don't have anything to associate it with. I guess I could invent random URLs, but that's probably not the best way to do things, so I drop it instead. Note that if the jpg was named appropriately (folder.jpg/poster.jpg) in the movie folder then it should have been picked up.

Quote:While my movie posters are mostly there, if i press info on a movie, the popup info box is supposed to have the poster on the left side, and details on the right. In this view though the poster isnt there for more than half of my media (id say closer to 80%) and a random screencap of video shows up in this space. even if i change the poster the same thing still shows up even though the poster changes in the main list.

This might make sense if the video info dialog is using listitem.thumb which, if there is a screengrab available (it would have been generated perhaps while it was scanning for stuff) will be used. You should have the poster available via "Choose Art" still indicating that it's still there.

I'll see if I can get the skin to prioritise the poster (I should think it would be, but maybe not).

Quote:tv shows: i previously used wide banner for tv shows. If i now select wide banner view thr thumbnails show up fine. But if i choose another view with a different aspect ratio for art (poster vs banner) nothing shows up.

Yup - no poster available as only wide banners were scanned. Nonetheless, the banner should show up in other views (I'm assuming you're using Confluence)?
About local posters, on my setup, a lot of them are still named "ExactNameOfFile.tbn"

will they be supported?
Pages: 1 2