Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lots of buffering while streaming from NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Got myself a Zotac ID84 with 4Gb of ram and a SSD and installed XBMCbuntu. Playing 1080p content from USB-drive works perfect, but playing that same file from my NAS (via gigabit-LAN) is stopping frequently and is buffering slowly.

I then took a old HP 8510W-laptop, installed that same XBMC and playing that same file from NAS is working perfect, connected on that same cable ...

tested it with various files (between 2 and 15Gb/file)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Nobody with the same issue?
You'll need to add an xbmc.log file in order for anyone to do anything other than speculate.
When I connect the ID84 to a 10/100-switch, all works perfect. When I reconnect to my gigabit-switch, buffering like mad ... Strange things ;-)
(2012-11-16, 21:16)Bottie Wrote: [ -> ]When I connect the ID84 to a 10/100-switch, all works perfect. When I reconnect to my gigabit-switch, buffering like mad ... Strange things ;-)

NFS or SMB connection ?
Most likely problem is lack of flow control. With the Gbit Switch in place set your NAS to 100Mbit, I'll be it will work also.
Your Gigabit switch, is is managed, does it support Flow Control, if yes enable it.
Generally I find TCP based protocols work better, NFS-over UDP will be a problem.
Tried it already, flow-control on my managed switch -> same issue. Then I took a un-managed switch, same problem. I cheap-ass 10-100-switch: solved Smile

sharing is over SMB

As I said before, xbmc on my old laptop with a gigabit-connection works perfect