Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Starting Out - Whole house media center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've spent some time and read the FAQ and searched the forums.
Found a lot of information and I'm trying to put it all together.

Here is what I am trying to do.
Configuration:

A centralized media center that can be used to serve content to
any TV or PC in the house. This would include:
1) All the channels I subscribe to on Cablevision.
(I do not get HBO, or any Pay channel)
Idea is to have two cable boxes attached to the media server.
2) Anything available via the Internet
3) Recorded programs
4) Movies or shows ripped from DVD
5) Pictures
6) Music saved on the media server.

Each TV would have an HTPC device connected to it, via HDMI.

Goal
To go to a TV and access the content. This would include accessing
an available cable box attached to the centralized media server. This would
allow me to have TV's in many rooms but no need a cable box for each TV.

I have no problems working with MySQL as I have a lot of experience with it.

Am I reaching or is this possible?
If this is in another forum please let me know.

If someone has already described this configuration please just point me
to the link

My thanks to all who have come before me and worked this out.

MrJagDad.
Hi,

Yes this is very possible and not as difficult as you may think. I have a similar setup. Although I'm using a Sat feed rather than Cable.

My Hardware;
HP DL360 G3 with 2Gb RAM and 2 x 1.4Ghz Dual Core CPU's
2 x 300Gb disk's in a RAID1 configuration.
2 x DVB-S PCI cards, single tuner each

6 x Raspberry PI's - 512Mb, 8Gb Class 10 SD card & MCE Remote.

This is running Windows Server 2008 and has MediaPortal's TV Server installed. It's not a straight forward installation but there are guides about to help. I also have my TV Shows, Movies, Music & Pictures all shared so can be accessed by any computer on my network.

Each TV (I have 5 of them and a projector) has a Raspberry PI attached running RaspBMC. There is a PVR client for Mediaportal in XBMC that takes very little configuration work but you do need the MPEG-2 license to watch the TV feeds. I created a master configuration on the first RPI I bought and saved that on the network. I then edit the xml files by hand rather than the gui when I need to make a change. All of the RPI's rsync the confirg down daily so that they are always up to date and work the same.

Once you have of the XBMC clients in place you'll want o keep a track of your media, this webpage below will help further.
http://www.howtogeek.com/75535/how-to-sy...with-xbmc/

I also have a 4 camera CCTV system that is attached to my network. I have setup webstreams for each camera, although at the moment they appear as radio channels rather than seperate TV channel's, something I'm currently working on though. You'll be able to use the same method for you internet content although in XBMC there are a few plugins that may be a better option, all depends on how much work you want to do.

So with this system I have access to Live TV from any of the clients, although at the moment only two channels can be viewed together so will need to add more DVB-S cards.

Hopefully that gets you started but feel free to ask questions.
Fantastic, I've been thinking about the same type of setup. I'm currently building a new house, and trying to figure out where to run all the lines, running them to a central cupboard at the moment for networking, security, antenna, server, etc.

What I'm also interested is whole house audio, sorry to extend on your thread, but wondering if Maximo has thought about that? I was reading that you can use Logitech Media Server, so I'd like to be able to put ceiling speaker(s) in the same room as the TV and have either TV and/or audio on...possible?

The other thing was playing games, streaming with steam on raspberry pi...read that might be possible with Limelight.

To me this would be pretty much the ultimate setup, something flexible and comprehensive with all these possibilities, the only other thing I can think of is Home Automation...but that's another can of worms for me.

HOw did you go with setting up yours, mrjagdad?
Wow is this necroposting day?

Basically the way to do this is:

1. Server storing all your media. Also running a PVR backend. Mythtv is the best one, which requires linux. However if you are a windows fan there are PVR backends for them too. This computer also runs logitechmediaserver for music and mysql for whole house integration of your movie/tv database and watched/progress statuses etc.

2. Every TV in the house has a Media PC such as a Raspberry Pi (low performance end, cheap) or a NUC/Chromebox (still cheapish, better performance). Ignore android solutions. The clients of course run XBMC - openelec is a great low maintenace solution. Takes literally 5 minutes to install.

3. I am not impressed with music on XBMC, and who wants to listen on your music on your TV speakers? My solution is to run music completely separately in terms of playback devices. I have a number of squeezebox hardware devices and am working on some Rpi emulation devices. The best thing about them is the synchronisation. I can have every device in the house playing the same music, or all different, or any combination. You can also run a squeeze client on your XBMC machine, but obviously can't play music and TV/Movies at the same time.

4. Basically everywhere you want music or a TV screen you need to run an ethernet cable, and arrange speaker wires. This is easy when you are building the house. We have all our wall linings off while earthquake repairs are being done, and am sourcing ethernet cable as we speak...

5. Resist the system integrators telling you that you need coax for distributing video or some really expensive whole house audio systems. Logitech/squeeze synchronisation is far more flexible.