Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: welp.. decided to get a Xios... going linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
big fan of android.. all the tabs and stuff.. supporter of the that little revue GTV box.. still think its pretty cool.. but its no xbmc.. and i did not really want to build a HTPC.. how is the streaming quality of the Xios? seems like the mem is a bit under powered but being a linux version of xbmc with no android over head it seems that it may be the best option, i dunno.. this stuff is all new to me.. but i really do like the support that both the xbmc forum and the Pivos forum are lending this box.. are there heating issues with xios? i have heard it can get very hot... welp.. looking forward to trying out the streamer... hope i get the linux install right...

should be pretty cool...
I've been running XBMCUbuntu via an external HD on an old Pentium 4 laptop since June. It feeds my wallmounted 55 inch LCD via the PC video and it looks acceptable and never run in to any issues with it keeping up with codecs.
I also have the XBMC Android app installed on an Asus Transformer TF101 and as far as I can tell it keeps up very well with the Tegra2 Processor.
This past Monday I went out and got a XIOS with the same idea of removing the old laptop and using the XIOS as my XBMC HTPC.
I started by installing the Andoid App and it cannot keep up with HD video streaming. Not sure if this is the Pivos version of Android running in front of the App or the ARM process hasn't got enough horsepower.
I had intended on running the Firmware replacement from over at XBMCAndroid.com but the update image firmware file they are providing fails the signature validation test when I go through the firmware update of the unit and try to apply it.
So far no response from anyone over there about it.
I also notice the screenshot from their firmware bootloader is different from mine, yet mine shows running the latest from Pivos so perhaps that's the problem.

So at this point I'm not sure if the XIOS hardware can handle this yet or not.
Try it with the linux FW that Pivos is providing on their forums. It runs much better than the Android FW.
As I said in my post:
I had intended on running the Firmware replacement from over at XBMCAndroid.com but the update image firmware file they are providing fails the signature validation test when I go through the firmware update of the unit and try to apply it.
Ok got it installed.
The instructions indicate you can use mSD or USB, I tried USB because that's what I had handy but seems USB is a bit problematic in the XIOS.
I tried the firmware update with mSD and it worked perfectly so we're off.

I may have found a couple of interface bugs already which I have submitted to the Pivos team but the responsiveness is far, far better when running the XBMC firmware replacement over the Android plug-in.
The XIOS is keeping up very well with HD Live TV video content but the interface can lag a little but so far hasn't really been an issue.
It's keeping up with live streaming in Navi-X and Veetle very well, this is where I notice the most interface lag. I can live with it though, not a big deal. The most I've seen is about 2 seconds, I'm not in that much of a hurry just Don't Panic when response isn't immediate.

With about 30 minutes of testing so far I would probably recommend this as a very inexpensive alternative to a full-blown HTPC. I have NFS in the basement so I really don't need BlueRay or DVD, this is perfect for me.
(2012-11-16, 16:22)thor95 Wrote: [ -> ]As I said in my post:

And I said to use the one from the Pivos website, not xbmcandroid.com, which is just some 3rd party website.