Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frodo playing Bluray disc - buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm playing a protected bluray in XBMC. I've downloaded a free DVDFab Passkey and installed it, and that seems to remove some protection so that XBMC can, at least, select and play the main movie from the disc.

Only issue is, every 10 or 15 mins or so, the whole thing stops and tells me it's buffering, fills up then carries on.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this buffering? Without that, the whole thing is lovely and smooth.
wow does xbmc now support blurays directly from the disc without having to set up an external video player (i.e.. powerdvd etc..) ??

Is so thats brilliant! as i was gearing up for installing a external player, please let me know if this is true then i can test it out on my machine tonight!

thanks
@ears
I'm not sure, but I can only imagine that there is something going on between DVDFab and XBMC that isn't getting the data fast enough to XBMC.

@KILLERNADS
Commercial discs will need to have the DRM encryption removed for XBMC to read it.
ok thanks Ned, but how about 3D blurays? is it the same situation?

Im also guessing that hardly any retail discs will be without the DRM. So does that mean i need to install a external player? Is there one that you could recommend that easily sits high above the rest?

Also another important feature, is that if i use the external player can i just use it for bluray discs only and use the in built xbmc player for all my other media thats gets streamed from my NAS?
I hear good things about the set up that (user) Bluray came up with: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116724
Hi Ned,

Yeah thanks for that i saw that earlier - but its got a variety of different external players to use. Is there one that is the best and works with everything?

i.e.. i guess what im trying to say is that which one is better to use out of: powerdvd and MPC-HC ?

thanks
(2012-11-22, 18:29)KILLERNADS Wrote: [ -> ]i.e.. i guess what im trying to say is that which one is better to use out of: powerdvd and MPC-HC ?

MPC-HC doesn't support bluray menus or 3D. Not sure why you would use MPC-HC as the external player, it doesn't really provide any major benefits over the internal player other than MadVR support.

The normal choice is between PowerDVD and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre.
ok cool ive been checking out reviews and user feedback and its coming across to me as if winDVD Pro is the best option to go for?! Whats your opinion?
Hi

I have the same question.
And I would like to have the same keys to do the same as i XBMC.
Like: X=stop, Space=pause, c=menu and so on...
ok well i installed winDVD Pro, but its bloody crap! It doesnt even play anything and says that my display is not compatible, also all the options to change video settings are greyed out like it doesnt recognise my on board video card!?!

Utter crap!

Now probably going to try out TotalMedia or PowerDVD! Any preferences people?

All 3 of the options (WinDVD, PowerDVD, TotalMedia) have problems, unfortunately.

WinDVD is my least favorite (for some of the reasons you've seen). TotalMedia is very good, but has some strange problems with specific Bluray titles, and they tend to break working features when fixing other bugs. One thing I really liked about TMT was that it can play old HD-DVDs, of which I have a bunch. TMT gets updated very frequently so if a new Bluray doesn't work (this happens ALL the time with all 3 packages), it will be patched usually within a couple of days.

IMO PowerDVD is the most stable - meaning they seem to do better regression testing, but their updates are less frequent.

The performance of Bluray playback software is COMPLETELY dependent on your specific hardware, and whether or not they've decided to support it fully. It's extremely frustrating. Audio support is very good WHEN YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK. Which is infrequently. I have a couple of titles I get excellent DTS-MA audio from, but others won't play right or they have strange bugs where if I skip a chapter I have to manually reset the audio (which you can't do from the remote).

I've basically given up buying Blurays because there are so few movies I'm willing to put up with the hassle for. Jaws was the last Bluray I purchased - usually I just go buy DVDs.

So bottom line - if you are REALLY going to do this, I would go with PowerDVD or TMT5, but be prepared to be frustrated either way. If I could do it again, I would just buy an external player and be done with the hassle.
(2012-12-09, 18:30)sarcophage Wrote: [ -> ]So bottom line - if you are REALLY going to do this, I would go with PowerDVD or TMT5, but be prepared to be frustrated either way. If I could do it again, I would just buy an external player and be done with the hassle.
I have been using TMT5 for XBMC external player to enjoy full blu-ray menu for a while, and I am able to playback every BD I threw at it so far. I'm using TMT5/XBMC with AnyDVD HD, and it can bitstream all HD audio codecs with ease....

XBMC did a wonderful job with Frodo. I tried it and I'm very impressed with all the HD audio options, and it can bitstream all HD audio codecs that I threw at it too- Test drive Frodo Beta 2.......