Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using Generic MCE Remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bough this remote on the cheap, it was sort of working for a little while, I could navigate the XBMC menus using the 4 arrows on the bottom of the remote but then, BAM, stopped working, the arrow buttons are now now working at all or they do something erratic. I was hammering buttons on the remote, is it possible I reprogrammed it because the remote itself is still working with Windows, just not with XBMC so well.
Thanks!
  • If it behaves erratically, you may want to check the batteries (although you did say it still works fine in Windows).
  • Since the Up/Down/Left/Right arrow buttons are also used to enter numbers or characters, ensure the Numlock button is set for cursor movement mode rather than for text entry (see instruction sheet that came with your remote)
  • Also, be sure the XBMC application has focus when you are attempting to use the remote to control XBMC.

By the way, I have that remote and was not pleased with it (poor range, poor mousepad cursor control, shared buttons for arrow keys). I replaced it with a VRC-1100 (wiki) for about the same price and it is much better on all counts.
@artrafael,

with this remote did you fix poor range (poor signal) problem?
(2012-11-18, 22:34)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]
  • If it behaves erratically, you may want to check the batteries (although you did say it still works fine in Windows).
  • Since the Up/Down/Left/Right arrow buttons are also used to enter numbers or characters, ensure the Numlock button is set for cursor movement mode rather than for text entry (see instruction sheet that came with your remote)
  • Also, be sure the XBMC application has focus when you are attempting to use the remote to control XBMC.

By the way, I have that remote and was not pleased with it (poor range, poor mousepad cursor control, shared buttons for arrow keys). I replaced it with a VRC-1100 (wiki) for about the same price and it is much better on all counts.

On your recommendation I just bought the VRC-1100, if for nothing else the button layout looks much better. On a side not, I don't know but I like nice hard buttons when watching a big screen TV. I had every iphone app under the sun for controlling XBMC and always having to look at the screen to became annoying. How should I configure the VRC-1100 for maximum functionality once it arrives or is it solid right out of the box?
Thanks..
(2012-11-19, 14:40)YaPaY Wrote: [ -> ]@artrafael,

with this remote did you fix poor range (poor signal) problem?
Yes. The remote in the OP could barely work from ~5 ft. away; the VRC-1100 works from across the room.
(2012-11-19, 19:04)tedappleberry Wrote: [ -> ]On your recommendation I just bought the VRC-1100, if for nothing else the button layout looks much better. On a side not, I don't know but I like nice hard buttons when watching a big screen TV. I had every iphone app under the sun for controlling XBMC and always having to look at the screen to became annoying. How should I configure the VRC-1100 for maximum functionality once it arrives or is it solid right out of the box?
Thanks..
Most of the navigation buttons (arrows, play/pause, mute, volume, color buttons, etc.) should work out-of-the-box with XBMC. Almost all of the rest can be mapped via keyboard.xml (wiki) to perform some type(s) of XBMC function. Search the wiki or forums for "VRC-1100" for examples.
BTW, it was in fact the numlock key on remote, pressed it and full functionality returned. Of course now I ordered another unit. For sale, cheap!