Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC HDMI Works OK w/monitor, not TV - XBMCBuntu worked fine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Symptom: XBMC HDMI Video works fine with my Dell monitor, but I get no signal on an Onkyo TX NR809 to a Mits 73833 via HDMI. I do get the BIOS display on the TV if I hit F2 during boot, so it's not a straight-up connection issue. Once booted into linux, even opening a tty session (ctrl-alt-F3) doesn't present a signal.

ASRock H67M motherboard and i3-2100t (I think) processor
Ubuntu 12.04lts x86 Server install
Relevant packages installed: xbmc (via default Ubuntu repository), lightdm, xorg. (I'd also installed plex media server, sabnzbd+, couchpotato, and a few other web apps, these should not affect video output)

The odd thing is, I'd previously installed XBMCbuntu 11.0 on the exact same hardware (except a new disk) and that was working fine displaying XBMC signal via HDMI to the TV.

The reason I abandoned it XBMCbuntu was it'd lock up when the box was doing heavy network communication (sabnzbd+, and plex media scan and couchpotato media scan simultaneously). The Ubuntu 12.04 server install doesn't seem to have any troubles so far with the networking.

I went through and DIFF'd the XBMCbuntu image with the new Ubuntu 12.04 image I'd created and I couldn't find any obvious file differences - Normally, I'd look at the xorg,conf, but there doesn't seem to be one in this setup and I've no idea where the default video settings live.

Any ideas where to look? What else is different in the video driver section between XBMCbuntu and a regular Ubuntu install?

Thanks in advance for any guidance folks can provide here!
Try adding nomodeset as kernel option. Before editing grub you can try by holding the shift key on boot. This will bring up the grub menu.
That worked! It seems to be maxed out at 1280x1024 and is clearly not using acceleration, but this is a great start. Thanks!