Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Play Next Video Automatically function not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So im using the latest version of Frodo and I've got the Play Next Video Automatically option turned on but it doesn't seem to work at all. Not with movies, not with tv episodes, but apparently with music videos. It makes no sense to me at all, and apparently the Play From Here option from the context menus that Ive read posts about doesn't exist in Frodo either so I cant find any way to get my episodes to just play back to back.

Also, and im sure im just noobish on this one, I cannot for the life of me find the playlist functionality.

Lastly is there a page on the wiki somewhere that actually has a breakdown of all the keyboard functionality in xbmc?

Thank you in advance for your help guys and gals Smile its greatly appreciated.
Can you post a debug log (wiki) of when you try to use it. Works for me when I tried it.

For keyboard commands see keyboard (wiki) and keymaps (wiki).
Here ya go. Also I found the smartlist playlist functionality finally and have started messing around with it to get to know it and thank you for the info for keyboard functionality. Am I correct in assuming that the play from here function indeed was taken out of xbmc for Frodo? Thanks for the help Smile

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=15136

No, "Play from here" is still there. When "Play next video automatically" is turned on the "Play from here" contextual menu item will change to "Play only this".

I'll see if I can poke a dev about this.
This seems to be a reasonable action?
ahhhhh ok. I was wondering about that "Play only this" option, I mean it made sense if you had play next video automatically on but I thought it was weird that there was a play only this but no play from here. This makes alot more sense. I went and turned off "play next video automatically" and the play from here option on my xbmc seems to work just fine. The "play next video automatically" definitely doesn't work but with play from here available I don't particularly need it to.

If I can be of any help in testing out this apparent bug at all please just let men know. In the meanwhile I do a little testing on it myself. Hell id write up a bug report but I think thatd be over kill lol. You guys have done some truly amazing work here and I am beyond thankful for it. My collection has never looked so good Smile I cant wait for the Ouya to run my Xbmc in the other room as well. Huge step in the right direction if you ask me.
I have a separate post to Bluecop in the Amazon Prime plugin forum regarding this very issue and will share info between the two, if that helps.
I know, this is an old topic but I got the same problem with XBMC 12.2 on Windows, Ubuntu and XBMCbuntu. It really bugged me for some time now. Today I finally found out what is causing this. If you have "Play" as "Videos - Settings" -> "File lists" -> "Default select action" all works fine but if you should choose "Show Information" it will not work. Apparently the "Play" in the information window is not the same "Play" as the one in the video settings.
I hope this helps somebody to understand what is going on.
And a little side note to the "button namers" if two buttons have the exactly same label they really should do exactly the same.
Greetings,
Tutzelki
(2013-08-19, 21:32)tutzelki Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently the "Play" in the information window is not the same "Play" as the one in the video settings
The first refers to an explicit action (play the video for which the movie information is currently displayed); the second refers to a setting option (what do you want me to do when you click on a name/thumbnail in a list of movies?).
Quote:And a little side note to the "button namers" if two buttons have the exactly same label they really should do exactly the same.
They are not both buttons. Only one of the examples you presented is a button that you click on; the other is an option that you select as the default behavior on a settings page.

The only commonality is that the word "Play" is used in both places, but the contexts are different. You can let fishing line PLAY out on the reel; you can watch children PLAY in the schoolyard; you can PLAY a joke on a friend; you can go to the theater to watch a PLAY; you can press the PLAY button on a recording device to activate playback of a previously made recording. Same word, different contexts, different meanings.
I understand that PLAY may mean different things in different contexts.
But in this case the the context is the same. Especially if in the context menu there is an appropriately named button - well menu item - "Play only this". And as I understand it does the same as "Play" on the information screen, I hope screen is right here.
Quote:The first refers to an explicit action (play the video for which the movie information is currently displayed); the second refers to a setting option (what do you want me to do when you click on a name/thumbnail in a list of movies?).
So why is there a difference?
Say I have selected "Default select action" "Play" and click on an item it is then played and the following items as well.
Say I have selected "Default select action" "Play" open the context menu select "Episode information" and then select "Play". Now I only am shown the one selected item. Why is there an context menu item labeled "Play only this" then?
Say I hit the media key for play on my keyboard if I am on one item in the list of items, it then plays the selected and the following as well.

I might not have the firmest grasp on the finesses of the English language as I am not a native speaker, but this seems a little inconsistent.
But thank you for educating me, there was indeed a context of play in your comment that I had not heard before.
(2013-08-21, 00:20)tutzelki Wrote: [ -> ]Say I have selected "Default select action" "Play" and click on an item it is then played and the following items as well.
Say I have selected "Default select action" "Play" open the context menu select "Episode information" and then select "Play". Now I only am shown the one selected item.
Again, you are confusing setting with action when you equate "Default selection action" with what the "Play" action does per se.

I think what you really want to know is why the "Play" button/action sometimes plays a single video and other times plays one video after another.
Quote:click on an item it is then played and the following items as well.
If you are on a list of episodes and you select "Play", it would make sense in this context to play one episode after another if you had enabled the option to play next video automatically.
Quote:open the context menu select "Episode information" and then select "Play". Now I only am shown the one selected item.
In this example, you pull up the information about a specific (single) episode. The information displayed on that page is for that episode only. The path statement on that page points to physical file for that episode only. The plot information is for that episode only. Click the "Cast" button and, if available, the list of actors is for that episode (recurring and guest actors) is displayed. Click on the "Play" button and it will play that episode only. It would not make sense in this context to automatically play the next episode(s).
HI I'm having trouble with the automatically play next episode in kodi v14 and play from here feature doesn't work can anyone help me ?
go to services and down load an service add on called next play it automatically plays the next episode. hope this helps
Still no fix for this? I been using xbmc since the first Xbox and when this feature came out it wouldn't work for me. I just thought it would've been fixed in an update but still no luck. Only way I get it to play next video is with a service addon "nextup service notification" but the problem with that is it only plays next up in that series. If I have a playlist with different series it'll stay loading the first series in the playlist and not the actual playlist. If I disable nextup it will only play the video I start it with, it will not play the next video. Automatically play next video is in enable, default is set to play, I disabled auto play next vid and tried play from here but still nothingSad
(2016-05-23, 16:22)JDillinger Wrote: [ -> ]Still no fix for this? I been using xbmc since the first Xbox and when this feature came out it wouldn't work for me. I just thought it would've been fixed in an update but still no luck. Only way I get it to play next video is with a service addon "nextup service notification" but the problem with that is it only plays next up in that series. If I have a playlist with different series it'll stay loading the first series in the playlist and not the actual playlist. If I disable nextup it will only play the video I start it with, it will not play the next video. Automatically play next video is in enable, default is set to play, I disabled auto play next vid and tried play from here but still nothingSad
2019 (Almost 2020) and its happening again with LibreElec on Rpi3. Kodi 18, nothing in the logs saying anything about it.
Pages: 1 2